Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2004 1:04:37 PM EDT
I've been considering picking up a Winchester Model 1886 .50 Express from Doug Turnbull Restoration. Seems like a nice big-game lever-action rifle. I just have some questions before getting an expensive rifle (My budget is in the basement. I can't afford my WASR-10 until summer, thanks to being up at college with no time for a job).

How expensive is the ammo for this rifle, and does anyone besides Doug Turnbull, and presumably Winchester, sell it? I'd like to have a local source for ammo and not receive it in the mail.

Does it really have more firepower than my .45-70? I've got a Marlin Model 1895G "Guide Gun", and while firing it is truly an awesome experience, I'd like a bigger gun. I plan on going on a northern elk and bear hunt as a birthday gift for my father, and I've heard stories about the .45-70 not always having enough stopping power for the bigger kodiaks.

I'm curious about how it compares to the .45-70 because of a .50 1911 conversion I've been seeing floating around the net for a while. It fires a bigger bullet, but the performance for the gun isn't much different than a .45, and was wondering if this might be a similar case.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top