Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2003 3:28:55 PM EDT
I posted this in the Florida hometown Forum as well..but maybe i'll get better responses here:

Hey guys,
I an flying down with my family to Ft Lauderdale/Miami to visit inlaws etc tomorrow for a week and was planning to bring my 99 to play with. My problem is that i don't have a suitable airline approved container for the talons i have here in VA.
Short of ups'ing some tonight or tomorrow, do any of ya know of a local store (like Lou's for instance)that sells 50bmg surp?? I am fairly familiar with S. Fl and can drive some distance to get it. I am going to be in the Naples area for 3 days as well.
Thanks a bunch.
DD
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 3:40:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Ask over at Biggerhammer, there seems to be quite a few .50 shooters in the FL area there. You could always order some from ammoman and have it sent to the address your going to be staying at, he ships for FREE.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:35:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ask over at Biggerhammer, there seems to be quite a few .50 shooters in the FL area there. You could always order some from ammoman and have it sent to the address your going to be staying at, he ships for FREE.

Thanks 50!!
Yeah i got a can from Eric but of course i had it delivered up here in VA. I'll try to poke around there at biggerhammer.
DD
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:41:20 PM EDT
[#3]
take a 50 cal ammo can, cut a hole with a dremel from the inside toward the latch, thru the latch.  Then insert a the U-shaped piece from a gate lock hasp combo and put a lock on it.  As long as it doesnt rattle - Ive gotten away with transporting ammo this way.

Another easier method is to use a plastic pistol case, remove the foam and put it in your checked baggage (with your clothes) - just tell them there's ammo in the suitcase.  This is totally legal as long as its not in the same case as your rifle.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:41:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Another easier method is to use a plastic pistol case, remove the foam and put it in your checked baggage (with your clothes) - just tell them there's ammo in the suitcase.  This is totally legal as long as its not in the same case as your rifle.

I almost did that, but i could't find any of my freakin plastic cases. Somebody at the Florida forums recommended a place where i can buy bosnian or linked surp though. A little pricey compared to eric's but it'll do.
FWIW, i actually made it to Miami last night. They gave me more trouble with some silverware i had on boxes than my m-99 and glock in the starlight case. The TSA dude told me that "that firearm looks very intimidating" LOL. They had trouble with the tight clasps. And ofcourse they where so intimidated by it, they never bothered lifting it out and check the bottom which has another 2" of foam in it. The case was too long for the xray machine...tsk..tsk. Shame on them.
Thanks for all your sugestions.
DD
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:54:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Airport Security is one of those misnomers like Military Intelligence.  Dont you feel safer knowing how thoroughly they checked you out?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:25:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Airport Security is one of those misnomers like Military Intelligence.  Dont you feel safer knowing how thoroughly they checked you out?

Exactly. And this was Dulles Airport in the burbs of Washington DC!!!
BTW, the marshalls are joke too. They are always visibly let in before everybody else and you see these 2 guys with nice haircuts already seated close to the front in a staggered formation before everybody else. Actually this time, one marshall had his son and wife with him, so he had them sit 2 rows back across from him - which is a strange way a family is seated becasue the son kept going back to his 'daddy' to ask him for something.
DD
DD
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top