Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2003 2:06:39 PM EDT
The is an old 408 cheytac thread I looked at on the FCSA forum where ( I think it was either Grizzly or Randy) responded that "If there was an action strong enuff to pack the 50 bmg cartrige like the 408 cheytac round is packed, you could put a 50 cal bullet within an eye-shot of the 3000 yard mark with extreme accuracy."

My question is; Is there an action currently availible that can handle a fully packed 50bmg case that would be able to send say, an 800 gr boar rider at between 3250-3500 fps out of a 36" barrel?

#1 Is that even theoretically/physically possible?

#2 If not, why, is it because the powders availible today arent capable of pushing a 800gr bullet at that speed out of a 36" barrel? If the answer to this question is; none exist that could accomplish this, then obviously my quest ends here.

#3 Is it because there are no actions that exist that could stand up to that punishment? If the answer to this question is; No, there are no actions strong enuff to date, then who could I speak to about creating an action out of an alloy strong enuff to hold up to such pressures?

#4 Or, is it both? If the answer to this question is; It's both, well then I'm shit out of luck with this project I guess.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 5:06:19 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My question is; Is there an action currently availible that can handle a fully packed 50bmg case that would be able to send say, an 800 gr boar rider at between 3250-3500 fps out of a 36" barrel?

I dont think so but i wish there was

#1 Is that even theoretically/physically possible?

I dont think a 36 would be long enough for all of the powder to burn.  I think a full case would just leave un burnt powder being expelled along with the bullet at a lower velocity.  I wonder if there will be pressure problems as well.  I think we would need a totally different chambering with a .50 cal bullet as the projectile

#2 If not, why, is it because the powders availible today arent capable of pushing a 800gr bullet at that speed out of a 36" barrel?

I think you hit the nail on the head here

If the answer to this question is; none exist that could accomplish this, then obviously my quest ends here.

#3 Is it because there are no actions that exist that could stand up to that punishment? If the answer to this question is; No, there are no actions strong enuff to date, then who could I speak to about creating an action out of an alloy strong enuff to hold up to such pressures?

I think we would need a totally different chambering of a .50 bullet to make this work.  Like i previously mentioned i think the barrel would have to be a lot longer for all of the powder to burn and expand

#4 Or, is it both? If the answer to this question is; It's both, well then I'm shit out of luck with this project I guess.

I think you are shit out of luck unless you invent this new caliber
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 7:55:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm wondering if a person couldn't build a "heavy" chambered gun and use a case like the spotter rounds case and "fill it" to accomplish this? Maybe use some faster burning powders? Just an idea.
This would also make it safer to protect a mix up of 50 BMG ammo "special loaded" rounds from ending up in a "regular" 50 bmg rifle. There are a lot less shooters with spotter chambers around to have a mix up with.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Not a bad idea at all.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 9:56:11 PM EDT
[#4]
We just last weekend tested our action.  We placed a 50BMG Viper on the ground and fired it with a string with the barrel full of mud.  Nothing happened, we then fired it with the barrel full of sand.  The barrel split 14 inches back from the muzzle, but the action held.  Next we cut the barrel off 5 inchs in front of the bullet, tapped it and screwed 2 9/16 set screws into the bore, again we fired it.  The pressure burned out the back of the 50 case, and pushed the firing pin back until it crushed the firing pin spring.  We had to beat the bolt open to look in the barrel, but the receiver and bolt held.  We got this on video and are currently having it converted so we can post it on our site.  Should be there around the first of October.
We are currently working on just the gun you mentioned, a .416 in a 50BMG necked down case.  In the cronograph loaded with 200 grains of powder puts the bullet above 4000 fps.  We are not anywhere near releasing it though until we determine the effects of this on the barrel.  It may be released sometime next year.

www.bluegrassarmory.com
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 10:24:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
We just last weekend tested our action.  We placed a 50BMG Viper on the ground and fired it with a string with the barrel full of mud.  Nothing happened, we then fired it with the barrel full of sand.  The barrel split 14 inches back from the muzzle, but the action held.  Next we cut the barrel off 5 inchs in front of the bullet, tapped it and screwed 2 9/16 set screws into the bore, again we fired it.  The pressure burned out the back of the 50 case, and pushed the firing pin back until it crushed the firing pin spring.  We had to beat the bolt open to look in the barrel, but the receiver and bolt held.  We got this on video and are currently having it converted so we can post it on our site.  Should be there around the first of October.
We are currently working on just the gun you mentioned, a .416 in a 50BMG necked down case.  In the cronograph loaded with 200 grains of powder puts the bullet above 4000 fps.  We are not anywhere near releasing it though until we determine the effects of this on the barrel.  It may be released sometime next year.

www.bluegrassarmory.com

Do you think the jacket will hold together?  What kind of twist @ 4000fps with a 300gr++ projectile?

Won't it just spin itself off in to powder?

Just curious....sounds cool as hell to do the R&D on though.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 7:08:03 PM EDT
[#6]
>Do you think the jacket will hold together?

We are using solid bullets, right now we are trying to get the alloy right.

> twist @ 4000fps with a 300gr++ projectile?

The barrel we are now testing has a 1 in 28 twist.  

>Won't it just spin itself off in to powder?

No
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top