Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/28/2020 9:05:13 PM EDT
What do I need to know before buying?

This probably won't be a race gun but a home defense gun & companion to my 5.7 pistol.

I already know to get the 50rd mags. What are things I should think about swapping out?
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:23:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Man Kave mag rollers.
I would plan to SBR it immediately.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:24:04 PM EDT
[#2]
fun to shoot.  They go thru stuff so know what is thru and thru. short range but accurate.  Practice.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:36:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:28:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Gonna wanna save an extra $200 plus the cost of a hacksaw, dowel rod, and TROSUSA barrel cut/thread.

Makes a kinda neat gun into a total badass gun.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:31:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Eh, I've got some cans already. A SBR doesn't get me too excited (yet), so I'll pass for now.

I heard about the rollers & the charging handle in other threads.

Keep 'em coming please.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:55:34 AM EDT
[#7]
If you decide you want the TROS pic mount, I have one I will part with.  I ended up using the Design Machine mount as the optic I have did not fit properly with the TROS. (Holosun HE507c for those wondering)
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you decide you want the TROS pic mount, I have one I will part with.  I ended up using the Design Machine mount as the optic I have did not fit properly with the TROS. (Holosun HE507c for those wondering)
View Quote

Thanks I just bought one last week.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:58:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks I just bought one last week.
View Quote

Part of me says sit on it as I may change optics down the road, but I figured if someone was in need and couldn't find one I could probably part with it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 7:49:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Adidas02:

Part of me says sit on it as I may change optics down the road, but I figured if someone was in need and couldn't find one I could probably part with it.
View Quote

I was going to part with mine too. I’m running a pro on tros mount and want to run an rmr.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 8:24:36 PM EDT
[#11]
While I know I'll do a large charging handle knob, has anyone done the oversize mag release handle? Or is it too easily hit by mistake as on a 1911?

Thoughts on a sling? I would assume a one-point is the way to go? Bungee type?
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Pault:
Best firearm ever
View Quote

... when SBR’d. Otherwise hard pass.

Just buy ammo and an optic.  Everything else is just a preference thing.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:03:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:34:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By BobCole:
Eh, I've got some cans already. A SBR doesn't get me too excited (yet), so I'll pass for now.

I heard about the rollers & the charging handle in other threads. 

Keep 'em coming please.
View Quote

I said the same thing when I bought me. Then I shot it and the 16” barrel is ridiculous, almost made me lose interest in it.

Filed the form 1 and made it into an SBR, which was a game changer. It’s awesome as an SBR.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:44:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
the 16" barrel is ridiculous
View Quote
I could live without it being full auto (if I had to) but a 16" barrel on that design defeats the entire purpose of the design.

For me, non-NFA would be a non-starter.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:06:48 AM EDT
[#16]
It reminds me of an aardvark with the 16" barrel on it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:36:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#18]
While certainly not speaking against Man Kave 'additions,' the gun will work just fine without them (assuming FN or AR57 mags).

I like the standard 16 in (well, not quite, but with the integral device) barrel quite well since I'm not trying to hide the gun in my pocket and you get more velocity with the longer barrel (and speed kills).  For HD purposes, shorter will probability not be a great advantage (we can always make up scenarios  where it does, of course).  And there can be other advantages to short, of course...

If you are going to use it as a home defense tool, make sure that you choose an optic that will be dimmable enough for night-time use.  Currently, I am using a Vortex Razor RD on one and a Burris Fastfire III on another...

Forrest

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 8:07:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:

There is a major drawback to the standard length FN PS90, being that it’s blowback the longer dwell time can cause issues with hotter ammunition. The springs and bolt carrier weight were developed around the 10.4” P90 barrel. Unfortunately FN didn’t make ANY calibration changes when they introduced the PS90 with a 16” barrel, it has the same carrier weight and the same action springs. There are numerous reports of magazines popping up when using certain loads in the PS90 that doesn’t happen in the P90.
View Quote

We all work from our personal experience.  I admit that I shoot the FN (Fiocchi) SS-197 almost exclusively, and have never shot SS190 (or 'commercial equivalents.' ).  I might be happy to agree with you if I did... .  Of course, most will probably just shoot the SS197 (or SS195) and will be happy with the stock rifle...

Having said that, I have nothing negative to say about some of the aftermarket 'iupgrades' (I'm thinking especially of Man Cave stuff here).  Especially If I was attempting to use a sound suppressor on the gun, I would probably be singing a slightly different tune...

Forrest

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:54:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Absolutely to each their own.  A PS90 with 16” barrel reminds me of the social distancing guy picture with pool noodles taped to his hat. He’s not wrong, but...

If you have 16” of barrel real estate and accompanying OAL, there are better options out there. I absolutely love this platform SBR’d with 50rds of SS198LF aboard. In a 16” barrel I start thinking AUG, Tavor, et al for comparable $ and a significant energy boost.

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:15:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Fun, unique guns....I love mine.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:32:44 AM EDT
[#23]
EFFEN90 receiver. Much lower optic rails, and side rails are easily removed if not needed. The sticker you get with it is AWESOME, it's almost worth it for that. I got every part they make for the rifle....

ManKave rollers help with feeding on all of my 50s.

Elite Ammunition S4UR or S4M ammo is the tits. I measured just over 3100fps on my SBR.

5.56 can will work fine, I use my Sandman K

Elite Amunitiin sling attachment
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:40:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Is it common to suppress PS90's?
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 6:51:31 AM EDT
[#25]
I didn’t even take mine out of the house with the 16” barrel with shroud.
That’s right it’s not just a 16” barrel. They added a shroud for the overall length requirement.
Very lame SBR is a must if not I would just get something else.
Form 1s have been taking 3-4 weeks right now so why not?
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:16:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Is it common to suppress PS90's?
View Quote
I'd say it's less common than other hosts, based on my observations. It's commonly SBR'd though.

I'd use an AAC 51T Black Out FS (especially if I could find their discontinued P90 version), but that's only because I already have a Mini-4 and a bunch of other 51T cans.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Super weird looking, but probably the most natural/comfortable firearm I have ever fired.

Also spend the $200 on a tax stamp to SBR it,   the tiny bit of awkwardness from the 16" barrel disappears.

Rounds are pricey,.. but not that horrible when you consider there isn't really any "range ammo".   I am well over 5000 rounds at this point and never had a stoppage,  never felt a need for rollers or really improving anything other than form1 and SBR.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:29:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By H4ppyB34r:
EFFEN90 receiver. Much lower optic rails, and side rails are easily removed if not needed. The sticker you get with it is AWESOME, it's almost worth it for that. I got every part they make for the rifle....

ManKave rollers help with feeding on all of my 50s.

Elite Ammunition S4UR or S4M ammo is the tits. I measured just over 3100fps on my SBR. 

5.56 can will work fine, I use my Sandman K

Elite Amunitiin sling attachment
View Quote

tell me about this sticker you get with the EFFEN90?
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By M16A4:
Is it common to suppress PS90's?
View Quote

Of course! But use a good rated pistol can or a rifle can. The "22lr" cans rated for 5.7 aren't going to cut it. Still too loud.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:35:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By M16A4:
Is it common to suppress PS90's?
View Quote

Not sure if it’s “common”, but it sure is nice...

TURBO K w/ Keymo

I have a Micro Keymo on order to see if its better.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 11:45:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By mjrowley:

tell me about this sticker you get with the EFFEN90?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mjrowley:
EFFEN90 receiver. Much lower optic rails, and side rails are easily removed if not needed. The sticker you get with it is AWESOME, it's almost worth it for that. I got every part they make for the rifle....

ManKave rollers help with feeding on all of my 50s.

Elite Ammunition S4UR or S4M ammo is the tits. I measured just over 3100fps on my SBR. 

5.56 can will work fine, I use my Sandman K

Elite Amunitiin sling attachment

tell me about this sticker you get with the EFFEN90?

I call it the Operator Gator

Imperial Arms Co makes the EFFEN90 receiver and they included 2 of these bad boys in there.

For your viewing pleasure
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 12:12:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Why not a CMMG Banshee or Diamondback that takes your existing pistol mags?  I have an AR57 upper, expensive ammo that doesn't approach .223.  If you want a PS90 b/c it looks cool, rock on.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 1:16:09 AM EDT
[#33]

I call it the Operator Gator

Imperial Arms Co makes the EFFEN90 receiver and they included 2 of these bad boys in there.

For your viewing pleasure
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/490290/72490489_2167314016707982_10797353005377-1400069.png
View Quote

thats pretty cool!

thx!
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:21:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Why not a CMMG Banshee or Diamondback that takes your existing pistol mags?  I have an AR57 upper, expensive ammo that doesn't approach .223.  If you want a PS90 b/c it looks cool, rock on.
View Quote

I have a Diamondback AR pistol already. The back blast is terrible in .223/5.56.

The 5.7 is much, much more comfortable to shoot in a short rifle.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 8:16:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Why not a CMMG Banshee or Diamondback that takes your existing pistol mags?  I have an AR57 upper, expensive ammo that doesn't approach .223.  If you want a PS90 b/c it looks cool, rock on.
View Quote

There are reasons folks want an actual Ps90, and not something that just shoots 5.7 ammo.

Honestly, if I was  using a AR based platform, I'd rather have 300blk or 556 depending on barrel length. PCC are a bit..... meh? There are some decent narrow use cases, and the Ps90 fits / mp7 fits them well. Ps90 again is something people want for those reasons... brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 8:31:59 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a short PS90 SBR and a 12in AR57 upper, and they both work well. The AR upper is more awkward for mag changes because its a larger/longer weapon to manipulate mainly.

AR57 is nice because with a newer shooter, the manual of arms is mostly like the AR, so its easy and intuitive to pick up.

The P90 SBR is just plain cool.

I wouldn't feel undergunned with Elite Ammunition S4UR at around 3100FPS, and a short, handy, virtually no recoil PLUS 50 rounds on tap, if i had to go across the Downtown badlands. Out in the open (200+ yards/meters) its a bit underwhelming, but out to 150-200yards I'm pretty comfy with it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 9:14:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By H4ppyB34r: I wouldn't feel undergunned with Elite Ammunition S4UR at around 3100FPS, and a short, handy, virtually no recoil PLUS 50 rounds on tap, if i had to go across the Downtown badlands. Out in the open (200+ yards/meters) its a bit underwhelming, but out to 150-200yards I'm pretty comfy with it.
View Quote

3100 fps?
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:18:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:59:59 PM EDT
[#39]
That 28 grn?  Any word on how it runs out of the AR57 or Diamondback?
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 11:33:15 PM EDT
[#40]
I haven't tried it in my AR57 12inch yet, but it should be a little more spicy on 12.5in vs 10.5in barrer on the PS90.

I had a weird issue where all 3 of my Geissele triggers (the top of the hammer actually) would drag on the bottom of the BCG. On 2 different lowers, PSA and Noveske. I thought it was the bolt catch at first, so I milled it down just a touch, and thats when I figured out it was the hammer.

Switched to a Larue 2 stage and its not dragging anymore, I just haven't had time since the lockdown in TX hit.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 12:28:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 1:47:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Sorry, no experience with either weapon.

I know it's a nasty SOB out of the pistol (2,400 fps)

It will shoot THROUGH 3 panels of Level IIIA vests, and 1 1/4" bulletproof glass.

The shockwave in ballistic gel is damn impressive.
View Quote
I'm not sure I've ever hit 3000 fps with S4UR in the SBR. I've hit 2900 fps with the 16". I'll have to test the UR again. S4 will only penetrate 1 IIIA panel. It mushrooms out after entering the second :(

No one has a diamondback in the wild that I'm aware of, or if they did, they probably don't use anything other than AE TMJ :\ it would probably run fine. It works good out of the CMMG Banshee
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:36:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:37:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Just loaded the mag for the first time tonight. Sweet Jesus, what a PITA!!!!

Too much to hope there's a reloading tool for these mags?
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:43:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 9:31:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Just loaded the mag for the first time tonight. Sweet Jesus, what a PITA!!!!

Too much to hope there's a reloading tool for these mags?
View Quote

Really? First couple rounds were a little tough the first time I did it (which was only a couple weeks ago btw) but once I figured it out, the second mag went through no problem.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 9:40:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Just loaded the mag for the first time tonight. Sweet Jesus, what a PITA!!!!

Too much to hope there's a reloading tool for these mags?
View Quote

The first couple of rounds require more force to load than the following 48...

What mags are you using?

I just shot a bunch of rounds through an AR57 yesterday using AR57 mags and, like the FN P(S)90 mags, they were a snap to load.

Something must be wrong if you are thinking yours are a PITA...

Forrest

Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:14:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Easier than a 10/22 30 rd mag
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:15:43 PM EDT
[#49]
i replaced the FN red dot with an H1 for a more upright shooting position and added an Urban Sentry sling and its been nothing but fun ever since.  Doesnt have to be an sbr to be a fun gun and folks cant help but grin after they run a mag.  Its not my HD or go to war gun but its fun as hell and is pretty darn accurate out to 100 or so.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 7:55:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By ftierson:

What mags are you using?
View Quote

Good old FN OEM mags.

I'm used to AR style mags, where one can pop a fresh rd in most ricky tick. These rds are so small & the mag opening so tiny & the last 10 or so rds require a bit more pressure for my ham-fisted ability.

Still look forward to shooting it when my optic comes in. Not looking forward to loading more mags though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top