Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2019 7:31:40 PM EDT
I am considering ordering a NF ATACR 1-8 for one of my 17s while NF is still doing their free unimount promo. Im not interested in a 20 MOA mount, so my only choice would be the A497 model. This one has 2 clamps on it.

My 2 concerns are is this mount solid enough on the 17s to handle the recoil impulse and stay rock solid? Also when using the KDG angled CH, will the nuts on the left side of the mount still bother me since this is the side I have my CH?

The promo is a good deal. Im just wondering if I should take advantage of it or just wait for a good deal on the EE to buy a lightly used one and get a different mount. I like how light the unimount is, and Im not worried about QD either.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 9:36:48 PM EDT
[#1]
The Unimount shouldn’t have any problems on the SCAR.

You might be able to keep the nuts behind the rearward travel of the charging handle. You could always dump the Unimount and get Nightforce rings (they retail in the $165 range), which would allow you to flip the nuts to the other side and mount the ATACR where you want it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:41:32 AM EDT
[#2]
In regards to the mount knobs, I'm currently using Nightforce Unimount A362 on my 17S. It's the 20moa version so I needed to keep the knobs on the left and I'm using a GGG angled charging handle with it. It seems to give me enough room not to scrape knuckles on the knobs, though if I were to do a super fast reload I probably would. I feel comfortable enough though not to really worry about it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:14:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Ive used a NF unimount on mine for awhile.
Echoing above posters about knuckle/charging handle clearence unless you turn it around.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I suppose I could just sell whatever Unimount I get for free seeing they only give 3 choices.

Im looking at the NF A216 6 bolt rings, or the A361 compact Magmount with 3 jaws. This way, whichever route I go I can have the jaws on the right side and never have to worry about my knuckles.

Would you guys have any reservations running those rings on a hard use SHTF rifle, or should I just go with the Magmount and be done with it?

I like the NF offerings because they are rock solid, but still lighter than other similar mounts.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This way, whichever route I go I can have the jaws on the right side and never have to worry about my knuckles.
View Quote
This is exactly what I've done with every 0moa type mount I've used on both my 16S and my 17S. It's worked great so far.

I wouldn't have any problems with any of your options for a hard use SHTF mount. I'd think the optic itself would be more of a weaker link in the system. If you have the mount set and torqued correctly I'd think whatever happened to make the optic move inside the mount probably rendered the whole rifle useless, unless it was a deliberate act.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Other than the side the nuts reside on, there's nothing wrong with a NF unimount on a scar 17. I use the 1.5" high unimount with atacr 1-8 on my scar 17 and compact magmount with atacr 4-16x42 on my scar 20.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top