Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2012 3:59:31 PM EDT
So I took my barrel of my SCAR to do a good cleaning and when I reassembled the barrel I was torquing the screw back in the barrel (62 in lbs) it wasn't tightening down. When I took it off I realized why-

The barrel suppost screw had broken and the thread stuck in the barrel extension.

So, my question is where do I go from here?

Will FNH USA fix this if I send it to them?

Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 4:03:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I stripped the threads in my lower barrel support . I sent it in to FNh had it back in less then 3 weeks good as new.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I stripped the threads in my lower barrel support . I sent it in to FNh had it back in less then 3 weeks good as new.

Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better.

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:04:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I would be shocked if FN didn't take care of this to your satisfaction.

Curious, how many times have you removed the barrel prior to this incident?
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 1:15:57 PM EDT
[#4]
3 or 4 times. I had put a Branham rail on it, then took it off, then back on, and finally off to my SCAR 17s (Couldn't make up my mind).
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 2:21:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I had the same happen to the barrel support screw that holds the rail to the barrel and then I had the threading on the lower rail support strip.  I called FN and was treated poorly.  I was given the option to send the rilfe to FN and pay for shipping on my own so it could be evaluated to determine it the problems would be covered under warranty or pay for the parts my self.  Well I opted to pay for the parts rather then send my rifle to FN and take the chance of having to pay for them anyway.

After speaking with parts manager I was told that there have been similar problems with these screws.  After waiting about a month to get the parts, paying almost $100, and removing the broken screw I got my scar back online.  

The whole incident has erroded my confidence in FN's support for the rifle.

OP please keep us updated on FN handles this!

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 3:51:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I had the same happen to the barrel support screw that holds the rail to the barrel and then I had the threading on the lower rail support strip.  I called FN and was treated poorly.  I was given the option to send the rilfe to FN and pay for shipping on my own so it could be evaluated to determine it the problems would be covered under warranty or pay for the parts my self.  Well I opted to pay for the parts rather then send my rifle to FN and take the chance of having to pay for them anyway.

After speaking with parts manager I was told that there have been similar problems with these screws.  After waiting about a month to get the parts, paying almost $100, and removing the broken screw I got my scar back online.  

The whole incident has erroded my confidence in FN's support for the rifle.

OP please keep us updated on FN handles this!

I called them today and they basically told me the same thing. I decided to take a leap of faith and I sent it to them anyway. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 7:30:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like you can source the screws individually from Midwest.  $6.50 each.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/F142310020
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 7:36:14 PM EDT
[#8]
You're not the first.  Fortunately it's an easy fix if you can get the screws.  It was suggested to me to use a small amount of anti-seize.  

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 11:47:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So I took my barrel of my SCAR to do a good cleaning and when I reassembled the barrel I was torquing the screw back in the barrel (62 in lbs) it wasn't tightening down. When I took it off I realized why-
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i479/StevenFBuis/SCARscrew1.jpg
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i479/StevenFBuis/SCARscrew.jpg

The barrel suppost screw had broken and the thread stuck in the barrel extension.

So, my question is where do I go from here?

Will FNH USA fix this if I send it to them?

Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks.

Gun looks kinda dry. My screws are wet with CLP when I replace them. Lubed screws take much less torque to get the same clamping effect as dry screws.

H
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 3:22:23 AM EDT
[#10]
You would think that a part that is intended to be removed would be more robust. I've only removed my twice, once to get it chopped and once to send the receiver for engraving. After reading this thread, I know to be more careful during the removal/install.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Whoa, that's kind of worrisome...now I wonder if I should remove the barrel at all
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 1:16:51 PM EDT
[#12]
It's not the end of the world although it may feel like it at the time.  People snap MRP screws too....

It is something to pay attention to, grab a few for the spare parts box, and use some anti-seize.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's not the end of the world although it may feel like it at the time.  People snap MRP screws too....

It is something to pay attention to, grab a few for the spare parts box, and use some anti-seize.

Ok, but how do you get the broken part out of the barrel?

Link Posted: 10/10/2012 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Left hand drill and screw extractor?

Link Posted: 10/10/2012 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, we all carry those in the field...

Link Posted: 10/10/2012 9:22:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Are you changing the barrel in the field?  

Its obviously a deadline but it's not a deal breaker IMO.  It happens but not often.  I don't know why it happened. The theory was tolerance stacking but it was so long ago I don't remember.  Another forum member fixed me up.   Its just something to be aware of, not something to run away from the platform over.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 2:18:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, we all carry those in the field...

You're pulling your barrel in the field?

Besides, engineers being engineers, I suspect there is a generous safety factor built in to the design. I'd be surprised if you saw any unsafe effects if you were down to 3 screws (preferably not all in the same side). Loss of accuracy maybe, but I'd bet it would still be safe.

H
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 7:47:15 AM EDT
[#18]
This is what bugs me about this design.  It was a corner-cutting move to go with torx bolts just to satisfy the spec.  They could have done something like the Tavor QC bbl. & used a 90-deg or 180-deg "key" to lock the breach & forearm.  Fine-thread fasteners strip too easily.
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 11:16:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What size is the screw?  I'm curious.

I'm not sure.

UPDATE:
I called FNH USA today and they received my rifle, now I play they waiting game until they look at it and tell me whether the warranty will cover it or not.

Link Posted: 10/13/2012 5:10:40 AM EDT
[#21]
The LMT MRP bolts are purposely designed to shear and break if the torque spec is exceeded. This is how they protect the chassis on the MRP. If they did not do this, there would be broken chassis instead of broken bolts. This is part of the unique engineering.

I would be willing to bet that FN did the same thing. They would rather have you break a $6 bolt than to damage a $1500 barrel. Make sure you have an accurate torque wrench, buy a few extra bolts and move on...

Personally, it would irritate me if I needed to send my whole rifle back because of a $6 bolt.
Link Posted: 10/13/2012 1:53:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I use a seekonk specifically set up for the SCAR. I'm sure that wasn't my problem.  The screws are available. I bought a few in case it happens again. I also use a small amount of antisieze.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#23]
I received my 16s in the mail today good as new. They fixed the issue and sent it back in about 3 weeks and it was free of charge. I am very happy with their customer service and super pleased that I didn't have to spend any money (beside shipping the gun to them).
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Good to hear. Now go buy a Scar 17s to keep it company . I finally got a 17s and it is awesome
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 11:57:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Good to hear.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Good to hear. Now go buy a Scar 17s to keep it company . I finally got a 17s and it is awesome

Already got it covered , the brothers have been reunited!

Link Posted: 11/2/2012 3:02:06 PM EDT
[#27]
How do you like the NSN on the 16s?

Thinking of doing the same set up...
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
How do you like the NSN on the 16s?

Thinking of doing the same set up...

I like it a lot, I got a good deal on it so I figured I'd throw it on the SCAR and very happy I did so. The glass is very clear and I like the reticle better then the chevron.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm considering taking my NSN off the M-4 and trying it on the 16s. i've heard from other folks, besides you, that they are very happy with this setup.

Might have to get another NSN if it works out on the SCAR.

Thanks for your response.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 2:59:19 PM EDT
[#30]
So if you are using a calibrated torque driver, is this a case of a faulty fastener?  Is this a bad run or an isolated incident?
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Is this screw the same between the 16 and the 17?
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 11:54:17 PM EDT
[#32]
I gotta ask since I'm privy to the .mil manual for these things. Are you guys torquing your screws one at a time in a linear fashion or going back and forth from side to side like you're supposed to?
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 2:21:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I gotta ask since I'm privy to the .mil manual for these things. Are you guys torquing your screws one at a time in a linear fashion or going back and forth from side to side like you're supposed to?

I did it right. I chalked it up to just one of those things.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 6:33:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't mean to imply that you did anything wrong, I'm trying to get a sense of any chance that my fasteners may be faulty.  Since I've never removed my barrel, I wouldn't know at this point...
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 9:05:34 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok. I just wanted to see if it was a technique issue or really a screw issue. It's not too hard to think it's a crew issue. Think about the head bolts on your car. You replace them every time because torquing stretches them and the last thing you want to do is snap one off in there.  

Link Posted: 11/4/2012 12:28:03 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't think it's technique.  I'm hardly a SME but I like to think I know a little bit.  Every time I've ever removed my barrel and reinstalled, I've done it to the prescribed method.  

Stephen H's opinion was that it might have been tolerance stacking or just a fluke.  He recommended, and I use now, a very small amount of anti-seize.  It could be dumb luck but I haven't had a problem and I've removed it several times since.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I don't think it's technique.  I'm hardly a SME but I like to think I know a little bit.  Every time I've ever removed my barrel and reinstalled, I've done it to the prescribed method.  

Stephen H's opinion was that it might have been tolerance stacking or just a fluke.  He recommended, and I use now, a very small amount of anti-seize.  It could be dumb luck but I haven't had a problem and I've removed it several times since.

Well, that's good to know. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 12:43:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i479/StevenFBuis/SCAR16and17.jpg

Steve,

What extension is that on your 17? Looks to be an inch or two?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 6:49:48 AM EDT
[#39]
I just got a new SCAR 16S and after reading this thread I bought some spare screws!
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i479/StevenFBuis/SCAR16and17.jpg

Steve,

What extension is that on your 17? Looks to be an inch or two?

Thanks in advance

It's the Branham 2'' extension. I got it from aimsurplus.com. http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=xbtscar2

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top