Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2012 12:03:19 PM EDT
I would like some feedback. I'm on the fence about buying either a SCAR-16s to act as a back up/alternate rifle to my M4 clone or a 17s to fill a "battle rifle/ hog hunting" role. In reality, the 16s would make more sense the next time I take another rifle class. The 17s would just be a safe queen and a toy to show off friends since I don't have access to a range beyond 100 yards. For either model, I would most likely run it with a PWS rail extension, Aimpoint, charging handle on the left side, and I would ante up for the Geiselle trigger and an aluminum stock hinge. I actually like the standard SCAR stock, unlike many, as I find it comfortable and the ergonomics good.

Regardless, I was curious how well SCAR users like their SCARs suppressed and unsuppressed. What model suppressor are you using and why? What model flash hider? My only experience is with Surefire cans on an AR-15 by way of a friend who owns one.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 2:38:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I run a KAC NT4 on a PWS KAC556 brake, no issues other than the added weight up front.  I wouldnt want to run a heavy can on a full length barrel.

Link Posted: 9/1/2012 3:48:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I've shot a few 16s's suppressed.  16" they seem really front heavy and awkward with a full sized can (I was shooting a Gemtech G5 on the 16".)  The PWS might help with that if you can move your grip out because I shoot one of my 16" AR's (SR-15) with an AAC M4-2000 and it didn't seem as front heavy as the 16s.

10.0" SCAR's work fine, indoor I was getting a little bit of gas in the face but not to bad.  I've shot 10" guns with M4-2000's and Mini-4; both setups worked fine.

Of all the can's I've shot and own I'd go with a Surefire 556-212a if I could only have 1 can; I really like the mounting method.  Close second would be the AAC's, the sound suppression of the M4-2000 is excellent.

Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been running my 16s with a Surefire 556-212 attached with the MB556K.  So far I have no complaints.  I'm thinking of SBRing my rifle too.

Link Posted: 9/1/2012 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies. Any problems switching the gas block without a tool after shooting suppressed for awhile? The reason I ask is because I own a Noveske switch block on my SPR build. I have to use the wrench to move it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2012 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#5]
No you don't need a tool to switch the gas regulator.

It's located right below the front sight base.
Link Posted: 9/2/2012 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#6]
He probably means using a tool due to temperature. I dont change my setting just leave it where it is suppressed or normal.
Link Posted: 9/3/2012 6:05:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I like suppressors...

Link Posted: 9/3/2012 6:43:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I run both my 16s CQC and 17s suppressed; the 16s has a Surefire FA556-212 and the 17s uses a 762-SDN-6. Both suppressors utilize proprietary mounting adapters.  What can I say, both my SCARs run great suppressed and unsuppressed.  

Since you already have a 556 M4, I would buy the 17s to fill the 762 void.

Cheers

Link Posted: 9/3/2012 9:23:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I run a M4-2000 on a scar 16 11 inch SBR and a 16 inch carbine. They run great.

I’m waiting on my surefire 762SS for my 17’s.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 7:00:47 PM EDT
[#10]

I have run mine suppressed with the factory PWS brake and a Gemtech HALO on it. It's got to be the quietest suppressed centerfire I have shot beside MAYBE the M110 SASS. In the suppressed mode the bolt carrier never hits the back of the receiver so it has the recoil of a M1 carbine. I will say that the receiver gets dirty near the star chamber and it is way harder to clean that area than any spot on an AR15 shot suppressed. But I is way worth doing. Also because it is a piston drive system the brass comes out a lot more clean than in a DI ar 15 wich is nice for me since I am a reloader and the brass is not only easier to find but also takes less time in the tumbler to clean.

P.S. the reiciever on this one is so dark because it's one of the 1st edition guns.
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Have a scar-h sd for my 17.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm new to the SCAR club as of friday, but shot my 16s with both my YHM ss 5.56 and Ti 7.62 QD's this weekend.
smooooooth
runs fine in both settings
form 1 papers going out this week

pic:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top