Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 4:44:38 AM EDT
A friendly gun dealer asked if I would like to shoot an FNAR and give him some feedback on the rifle. He offered to supply the ammo too....Who doesn't take that opportunity? Before this I had seen a few ads for the rifle and I think read an article in Shotgun News about it....I was given the 20" heavy barrel version and three boxes of Priv Partisan Match 168 grain ammo.

I had to find a scope and mounts for it. I dug into my drawer of scopes and came up with a Leupold Vari X II 4-12. Not a bad piece of glass, not a real precision scope but better than what alot of rifles mount.....I had to use a set of Weaver "see through" mounts to mount the scope. I did not have a set of Ultra High mounts in my box of mounts and I believe that is what it would have taken to clear the scope over the Picatinny rail. The mounts of course were not milspec but I clamped them down well and I don't believe they were a factor in testing for that reason. They did work well with the factory cheekpiece and allowed a proper cheekweld.

The trigger I found to be decent. Not as good as an AR match trigger- it had a little bit of creep right in the middle of the pull. However, for a semiautomatic rifle it was entirely acceptable and broke around 4 pounds.

I sighted the rifle in at 25 yards using some Argentine ball milsurp ammo. The shooting was done on a fairly calm day from a concrete bench. I had one round that stovepiped, not clearing the ejection port entirely otherwise it functioned flawlessly. Ejection was positive but not terribly hard- fired cases landed mostly forward and to the right about 3 feet. Primer hits were good and deep.

Once the rifle was sighted in at 25 yards I fired two 5 shot groups at 100 yards. The groups were not all that impressive- roughly 2 inches. Perhaps the rifle was just settling in. I moved to the 200 yard target and fired several 5 shot groups. These were much better and averaged between 1 1/2 and 1 3/4" for 6 groups.

Thoughts- it's a decent rifle.....at first I was not very impressed with it as it seemed like little more than a tweaked BAR. I have seen several problematic examples of the BAR over the years in the hunting field. With no provision for iron sights and magazines that cost $40 apiece- and it only comes with one....it's not a real contender for the MBR role. It is however VERY accurate for a semi auto rifle, it's obvious that FN sees it as a DMR type weapon. I would liked to have shot it more with different ammo- just to see if it liked something else better than the Privi...also the scope and mount were not ideal but I don't think they had any detrimental effects on the testing. They were adequate for the job.

The concerns that I would have in owning one is the availability of replacement parts. I firmly believe that any rifle that someone might use to defend themselves should have a "spares" kit of basic, high wear/breakage items- firing pin, extractor etc.....I don't know that those will be available any time soon. Ability for owner service-not having broken the rifle down I can't say how complicated it is. However-most anyone with a few tools and modest ability can fully tear down including a rebarrel- on an AR15 in about two hours at most. That is the standard in my opinion and I doubt the FN is in that league. Magazines, one supplier and expensive but since it's not an MBR you could probably make do with 4-6 of them. Long term durability- any design that starts out as a semi auto sporter is suspect to me. Time will tell. I won't be buying one, I can buy a DPMS LR, the one that I own currently  is easily as accurate as the FNAR and they are about the same money.

Just a few thoughts on a new rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top