Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2022 8:41:42 AM EDT
Hopefully this can stay in this section, the m16 seems to be the real test for design/followers/etc

I’m wondering what you guys find the best aluminum/steel mags to be?

I don’t have any issues with pmags I just want to pick up another 10-20 and was going to change it up,

I’m ashamed at how little mags I have for going gun-poor with my m16
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:13:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By osprey21:
I've been shooting Okay Ind USGI mags with the green followers for decades and have had no issues.

The green followers aren't what the new cool kids want (I never follow the herd) but they work just fine.
View Quote

I've been looking for those but they're out of stock everywhere, someone mentioned they're getting out of the mag business, if I can find some ill buy a couple dozen and call it a day
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I personally like the HK 416 maritime mags.   Are they really worth the $50 to $60 cost over a cheap $10 aluminum USGI mags from a function perspective.....probably not.

However they really do seem to be the rolls royce of metal mags with high quality construction/welds, nice metal follower, deep black smooth finish, etc.

Both of my M16s had magwells on the tighter side as well so PMAGs and other polymer mags wouldnt always drop free where the HK mags fit perfect.

Function for me had also been flawless as well.

I figured I had tens of thousands in the gun itself why not a couple hundred dollars worth of really nice mags to go with it.

Over the decade or so since I bought my first couple HK 416 mags, out of the probably 100+ different metal, aluminim and polyner mfg AR pattern mags I own, the HK 416 mags seem to be always be the 30rd mags I grab when I go to the range now a days.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been shooting Okay Ind USGI mags with the green followers for decades and have had no issues.

The green followers aren't what the new cool kids want (I never follow the herd) but they work just fine.
View Quote

FPNI.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 2:32:06 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

I overpaid but I found some, ordered 30 since I saw a post that they're actually discontinuing them and switching all their focus to the medical field? I guess better late than never
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 3:02:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll admit spending too much time staring at USGI mags back in the day with a pair of calipers.  Okay are the most consistently dimensioned mags I have run across.  D&H are close enough for all practical purposes.  I was underwhelmed by Brownells, unsure if they still make them or not.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 7:25:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Good to hear since that’s what I got. Once those discontinue soon I know I’d want them 1000x more just because they were gone ha
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Is PMAG usage discouraged for reliability’s sake?
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 8:31:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SLAPPYROOTZ:
Is PMAG usage discouraged for reliability’s sake?
View Quote

Nope.

In aluminum, I use colt and okay.
 Some centerline. In polymer, I only use pmags.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top