Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2011 6:34:06 PM EDT
Seems that everyone is being a fag and asking $17,000 + for factory Colts.  Not six months ago they could be had for $12,000.  

Crazyness.  And I still dont have my Sendra I paid for in November.

Link Posted: 5/26/2011 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I have four sites that I check regularly, mostly for M16's for sale.  The number of M16's, Colt or otherwise for sale has been unusally low in numbers in the last few months.  When one is offered up at a reasonable price it seems to sell very quickly.  Not sure what the reason for this may be.  I am glad I purchased my Colt RR last year for $12,000, it was what I had been looking for so I jumped on it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 8:26:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Its a limited market. What can you do? Prices go up, prices go down. They were down for a while, and they came back up. Not sure what that has to do with the sellers sexual preferences.
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 3:14:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah it's too bad (for me the buyer ) as I was seriously considering an M16 at some point in the next year...something in me just wants the rollmark.
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 7:11:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah it's too bad (for me the buyer ) as I was seriously considering an M16 at some point in the next year...something in me just wants the rollmark.

Can't blame you. I've never owned a colt. But I will at some point. I should have bought when the prices were down.
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 7:15:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm happy.  My Frankford Arsenal M16 RR is worth a lot more now than when I bought it about a year ago.

Link Posted: 5/27/2011 8:05:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I should have bought when the prices were down.
I find myself saying that a lot in this "hobby" that is my gun/ammo collection....

Link Posted: 5/27/2011 5:28:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Three years ago I paid $14,500.00 plus the $200.00 for a 99%$ creampuff of a Colt M-16A1 No regrets T H A N while polishing my rocket last year, a friends friend called me with a 95% Sendra/Bushmaster M-16A2. After mentioning to him that I was all set, he offered the gun for $5,500.00, well after discussing it with vife, I got my blessing from her and purchased it (not really needing another sweet 16 buuuuuut at that price....
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 9:42:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Three years ago I paid $14,500.00 plus the $200.00 for a 99%$ creampuff of a Colt M-16A1 No regrets T H A N while polishing my rocket last year, a friends friend called me with a 95% Sendra/Bushmaster M-16A2. After mentioning to him that I was all set, he offered the gun for $5,500.00, well after discussing it with vife, I got my blessing from her and purchased it (not really needing another sweet 16 buuuuuut at that price....

so, like wanna make a quick profit?

Link Posted: 5/28/2011 6:28:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I find myself saying that a lot in this "hobby" that is my gun/ammo collection....

It happens. No biggie. Any thing that is like the MG's will have their ups and downs. I just try to catch more downs to buy, and ups if I need to sell something. So far so good for the most part.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 4:08:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Prices on M16s are on the rise as of late. I just sold one of my Group Ind. SS M16s for 16.5k with no negotiation.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It happens. No biggie. Any thing that is like the MG's will have their ups and downs. I just try to catch more downs to buy, and ups if I need to sell something. So far so good for the most part.

Yep, that's the attitude that I try to keep with it as well. It really is a case of "it is what it is".

I've had relatively good luck with some of my buys as well. I think the real key to finding a "good deal" is to know what you are looking for, be patient, and have cash in hand so that you can scoop up the good deals when you find them because they certainly don't last long!

Link Posted: 5/31/2011 6:55:41 PM EDT
[#13]
That's great news. I'm still pending on my GI M16 and picked it up for $13K.
Link Posted: 5/31/2011 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#14]
wish I had gotten an M16 instead of other purchases if I had known how much they have gone up...

Clones were under $9k left and right and now they are all north of $10k.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

NAAAAAAACE!

Who wouldn't find a way to pay that!
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Ultimately, M16s are the only pre 1986 gun that is still widely fielded in modern militaries today.   I think that helps a lot, esp when the native country of the USA is the biggest user.    The prices have truly bounced in the last year.

Yet Uzis are still pretty much were they were a year ago, maybe up $500.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#18]
My CRS (can't remember stuff) is bad, so correct me if I'm wrong.  But around the time (about 2002) Ares announced the Shrike - and initial investors plunked down the green - there was a surge in 16 prices independent of the overall NFA market movement.  Seems like 16 prices jumped almost 30-40% in just a couple years, with RRs crossing the $10k barrier and then some.  They kinda plateaued after that.  Now after many years it seems like Ares is making good on those deposits.  And all of sudden 16 prices have shot up again.  Connection or coincidence?  

Sam
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 6:59:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Sam,
You are correct in the first price jump from ARES. But the price of ammo now also plays into it. You used to be able to get a case of SA .223, 2700rds, for $340 from AIM. Long gone are those days. I don't think ARES finally shipping uppers is playing into it as much as one might think. Like someone posted above, the M16 is a very useful platform. Same with the HK sears. I think some guys are selling off some toys, but keeping the most useful ones. Or they are buying their first, and going with something that gives them options, such as the M16 or HK.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 7:29:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 8:38:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Since we're reminescing, I remember the 1440rd cases of guatemalan M193 for $145 delivered in 2002/3.  Some ended up being tarnished, but most was just downright excellent full hot military ammo for about a dime a pop!
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
(snip)
... the price of ammo now also plays into it. You used to be able to get a case of SA .223, 2700rds, for $340 from AIM. Long gone are those days. (Snip)

You had to bring up that South African! I'm down to my last case of it. IIRC, AIM would give you an even better price if you bought ten cases (27,000 rounds). I can't believe how much of that I've gone through. Primo brass-cased ammo, for 12 cents a round.

I wish I was old enough to have been able to get in on it.

AIM has been good to me on larger orders. By the time you need a pallet, the price is usually pretty good. Not quite .12 a round good, but what can you do?
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 3:58:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Still have two unopened tubs of SA that set me back $300/tub back then.  

Hate to say it, but these are the good old days.  1200 rds of IMI (Wideners) at $318 or the PMC and Fed at AIM for $290/k.  Given the destruction of the dollar, as reflected in metals surge, those prices are as good as what we paid for the SA.

Sam
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:32:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

WHAAAAAT?!?!   I wish I had friends like yours.  Then again moat of my friends are 21- 25 so that probably explaines it.  Where abouts in CT do you shoot?  I just got onto the METACON list and sent 2800 off to Texas for my first MG (MAC11A1 .380) so I hope to be playing with that come next march after i get back from Afghan.  Have some real nice play money too hehe.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 5:14:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Been a member at Metacon for years now. Hope and wish the best for you and all our troops. Like to try your .380 and trade to shoot one of my 16's but you'll be shooting 16's over there!
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 9:05:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Been a member at Metacon for years now. Hope and wish the best for you and all our troops. Like to try your .380 and trade to shoot one of my 16's but you'll be shooting 16's over there!

Shooting in the Marines on a USMC controlled range doesn't count as shooting and you'll never shoot FA cause we don't have it on our M4s or even the burst that we do have.  I'm an armorer by MOS but was sent to a bomb dog handler class so now I won't be anywhere near the armory but working my dog at the front gate of a major base.  At most I'll fire 10 rounds to zero my RCO and that's it.        

I would love to take you up on that offer though as I'm going to really need to go shooting after getting off that deployment as well as make some new friends.  I was at the July meeting and they were talking about starting some combat shooting matches and stuff like that.  Would be nice if you guys have that set up.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top