Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2008 10:01:13 AM EDT
I got a nice new pof 416 lower id like to use my RDIAS in but its a really tight fit. If i put the dias in i gota pry it outa the lower. What are my options for it? Should i have somebody like m60joe mill out the lower to fit and then add a set screw to the dias to keep it in place or can i just open the lower up myslef a little bit with some love from a dremel and sandpaper?
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#1]
if you dont care about what the inside of the lower looks like, I'd say a dremel will work.

It shouldent be very hard to find someone with a mill to do the job the right way.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 11:13:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I have never had a lower I didn't have to modify to fit my DIAS.

If you don't have a milling machine(Yeah I know most don't); get a cross slide vise for your drill press. If you don't have a drill press get one.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 11:41:11 AM EDT
[#3]
How does it fit on the upper?
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 11:44:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I have to ask, were does one find a DIAS for a descent deal?  They are much better priced than a registered lower right?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 11:48:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have to ask, were does one find a DIAS for a descent deal?

I can only wish.... (Maybe the back of a Shotgun News...LOL)

Link Posted: 11/11/2008 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Descent deal to me would be anything less then the costs of a regsitered lower.  How much are they going for?
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Descent deal to me would be anything less then the costs of a regsitered lower.  How much are they going for?

http://machinegunpriceguide.com/html/auto_sears.html

As with anything Title-II, YMMV

Link Posted: 11/11/2008 12:17:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

FUCK!  Thats the most valuable piece of metal on earth, per ounce!  What is the FN FNC?

Thanks for the link!  I would have to sell 450 lbs of dirtbikes to buy a few ounce piece of metal.

Link Posted: 11/11/2008 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#9]
send the sear, upper, and the lower to Lakeside Machine or M60JOE. They will fit the sear to the lower receiver. I sent my sear and host gun to Lakeside Machine and he fit the sear trip to the hammer notch. I was having timing issues while running my LM7. The trigger group engagement is now perfect and matches each other. Nothing binds or is forced to engage each other.
Doing this along with a set of KNS pins has been the best mods to my host setup.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FUCK!  Thats the most valuable piece of metal on earth, per ounce! What is the FN FNC?

FN-FNC (back in the day).

FN-FNC Sear

Link Posted: 11/11/2008 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Loosley, it wont stay on the rear lug wich is why i was curious about adding a set screw to keep it from moving.

On another note would it be better to just open the lower up enough so it fits snug in there instead of milling it out all the way and shimming it against the rear lug of the upper?
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 2:36:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Loosley, it wont stay on the rear lug wich is why i was curious about adding a set screw to keep it from moving.

On another note would it be better to just open the lower up enough so it fits snug in there instead of milling it out all the way and shimming it against the rear lug of the upper?

That's why I asked.  The only issue you might have with a DIAS fitting tightly in the lower is a slight PITA when closing the two receivers together.  Bear in mind the original auto sear is fitted to the lower receiver (fire control group) not the upper.  The only concern then would be whether there was enough room for the DIAS to slip backwards and maybe miss or miss-time the hammer notch or bolt shelf.  That could be taken care of by spacing the back of the DIAS against the back of the lower receiver.  That in turn begs the question: does the gun run 100% now with various uppers?
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 6:28:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why I asked.  The only issue you might have with a DIAS fitting tightly in the lower is a slight PITA when closing the two receivers together.  Bear in mind the original auto sear is fitted to the lower receiver (fire control group) not the upper.  The only concern then would be whether there was enough room for the DIAS to slip backwards and maybe miss or miss-time the hammer notch or bolt shelf.  That could be taken care of by spacing the back of the DIAS against the back of the lower receiver.  That in turn begs the question: does the gun run 100% now with various uppers?

I actually havent even put a round thru it yet. I was just playing around with fitting it in the lower and getting it set up with the right fcg. I can get the dias in the lower and close the upper with no problem but its just a real pita to get the dias out again wich i guess isnt necessarily a bad thing since it probaly wont move around. I might just try it out the way it is and see how it runs.
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 6:46:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By osprey21
FN-FNC (back in the day).

http://i35.tinypic.com/20rpbvp.jpg

FN-FNC Sear

http://i35.tinypic.com/289vi94.jpg

My 'back in the day' was a pawn shop about 2 years ago that sold me a like new FNC para model Howco import for $1100  They obviously had no clue what they were selling.  WA state = no auto sear for me however

Link Posted: 11/12/2008 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Here is how I've got my RDIAS set up for my POF lower:

On all my uppers I applied JB Weld to the rear portion of the real lug. Once set, I filed it down until it took up all the extra space and my RDIAS fits like a glove. You need to check you RDIAS out on your lower to see where it times, you may need to add JB weld to the front or the rear of the lug to get it to time correctly.

Next, I took a dremal and some small bastards and removed some metal from the rear corners of the lower. They were cut with a mill that left them round and I had to make them square so my RDIAS would drop in.

These two things have allowed me to use my RDIAS in my POF lower on many uppers.
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 10:03:29 AM EDT
[#16]
got any pics for reference?
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 10:56:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Heh, that's an edited version of a photo I took of my sear about 4 years ago.

For the guy saying it's the most expensive piece of metal on earth, it's really not.  The metal is only worth $20 or so.  The tax stamp and form 4 that mean you don't go to federal PMITA prison are what you're really paying for.
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 12:05:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
got any pics for reference?

If you're looking for pictures of the DIAS

http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/dias.html

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:34:19 PM EDT
[#19]
The sear kinda needs to be shimmed in relation to the upper receiver lug.  The relationship of the trip in the DIAS to that edge of the bolt carrier is your critical dimension, and any slop will probably cause some trouble in reliable function.  Hell, even with my sear timed properly, and shimmed to the upper's lug, it still doesn't get along with my Ceiner kit.  

To get the DIAS timed right while it's stuck in the lower seems like it would be tough.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:54:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
even with my sear timed properly, and shimmed to the upper's lug, it still doesn't get along with my Ceiner kit.  

Not to hijack the thread but I had some problems with two Ceiner kits and DIAS as well.  I solved the problem by allowing the trip to move further back.  What grief are you getting?

Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top