Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2018 3:06:46 PM EDT
So those of you with the Sten mag conversion on a mac 10, how do you like it?
Are the Sten mags reliable enough?

Thinking of changing mine from the Sten gun mag well to the grease gun magazine mag well.

I won't be making any decision for at least 6 months as I'm going to shoot the crap out of it for the time being just as it is.

I plan on shooting 9mm most of the time but having the option of 45 is a big plus.

I could always leave it like it is and get the max 10/31 upper if I want to get away from the Sten mags.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 5:07:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got one with a Wheatly sten grip conversion. Works fine, and the mags are pretty reliable, in my experience. I've got a ton of sten mags and would occasionally find one that didn't run perfectly, so I'd just set that one aside and not use it anymore, but most of them ran well right out of the box. I also use them on my Oly pattern 9mm upper.

If you want to do caliber swaps, you'll prefer the GG grip or an Uzi grip, since you just can't fit 45 mags into the original or sten mag grips.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 9:23:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got one with a Wheatly sten grip conversion. Works fine, and the mags are pretty reliable, in my experience. I've got a ton of sten mags and would occasionally find one that didn't run perfectly, so I'd just set that one aside and not use it anymore, but most of them ran well right out of the box. I also use them on my Oly pattern 9mm upper.

If you want to do caliber swaps, you'll prefer the GG grip or an Uzi grip, since you just can't fit 45 mags into the original or sten mag grips.
View Quote
Thanks, that makes me feel better about the Sten mags.
I just bought some for $22 each and the oh so important mag loader.

I only had the opportunity to shoot it once and had 1 mag. Without the loader I could  only get about 23-24 rounds loaded before killing my thumb.
It ran pretty good with only 2 hiccups.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 11:35:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought new STEN springs for my sten magazines...

cleaned it up a bit...and then also I used the TAPCO Sten mags and they work fine.

yes..out of 50 I have I think about 20 are crap....

But changing the springs in it....and they were good as new.

Don't pull the springs on the old ones....

So far..my Craig Wheatley conversion works good.......

It's a lesson and trying crying game on it at first but after marking my mags and trial and error..they work fine now.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I bought new STEN springs for my sten magazines...

cleaned it up a bit...and then also I used the TAPCO Sten mags and they work fine.

yes..out of 50 I have I think about 20 are crap....

But changing the springs in it....and they were good as new.

Don't pull the springs on the old ones....

So far..my Craig Wheatley conversion works good.......

It's a lesson and trying crying game on it at first but after marking my mags and trial and error..they work fine now.
View Quote
Thanks for the info Jozsi.

I was able to get out and shoot it yesterday.  I had 4 mags with me.

When fully loaded it had feeding issues with all mags. When I only loaded 25 rounds in each magazine it ran really well. When I added a suppressor it ran even better.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 8:05:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a Sten converted M11/9 and like it. I have to remove the tabs on the sides of the mags to work with mine. I have a bunch of mags for mine I bought when they were cheap. I made a 57 round mag out of two, by cutting the top off one and the bottom off another and welding together. I just used both springs connected together with electrical crimp connectors on both sides. Only downside I see is the possibility of something coming out for a standard magwell version that won't work with the converted guns.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 1:59:14 PM EDT
[#6]
My Mac 11/9 was Sten converted back in the late 80's way before I bought it. Works great. The Austen mag loader is the ticket, they are hard to find.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 3:06:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I would love a drop in sten mag 9mm conversion for my Powder Springs M10-45.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 3:18:52 PM EDT
[#8]
One thing I have noticed is that the mags do not fit snug in the mag well. There is movement backwards/ forwards and side to side.
This may be causing some of the feeding problems.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 3:33:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I really recommend going to CDNN and look for the Tapco Sten mags at 9.99.

try it and see if it works.... it might be a tight fit but a little in and out...they will set in.

I can load up to 31 in a tapco and they run well.

the AUSTEN loader is the cats pajamas on loading mags....

The reproduction loaders are hit and miss but the loader for the tapco works very well but it is slow a bit once you get used to it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I really recommend going to CDNN and look for the Tapco Sten mags at 9.99.

try it and see if it works.... it might be a tight fit but a little in and out...they will set in.

I can load up to 31 in a tapco and they run well.

the AUSTEN loader is the cats pajamas on loading mags....

The reproduction loaders are hit and miss but the loader for the tapco works very well but it is slow a bit once you get used to it.
View Quote
I just placed an order with them yesterday but it was for metal Sten mags.
Will have to try the Tapco mags.

I'm going to get the Lage Max 10/31. I am number 25 on the list. Time to start buying some drum mags and some Zmags.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 7:48:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I ran 18 mags today with only one malfunction.  The bolt closed on an empty chamber with a loaded mag.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 2:33:45 AM EDT
[#12]
looks good
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top