Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2017 8:59:38 PM EDT
A family member has a full auto browning .30 that has never run well. They have an 8mm, 7.62x54r, 30-06 and .308 barrels.

Who can get this thing running right? Currently it's a $10k dissapointment. Preferably someone on the west coast.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 9:13:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know of a gunsmith that specializing in M1919s but replacement parts are pretty common, could just rebuild from the group up.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#2]
It would help if you defined "never run well".
I had indifferent performance with mine until I replaced the main spring. (Which is dangerous, be sure to watch some of the vids to do it without killing yourself.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 9:40:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Evidently they have changed the main spring. They have tried multiple barrels, it cycles manually fine, but it only fires 2-3 rounds and then the bolt needs to be cycled. Sometimes the there is a link jammed up in there, sometimes it just needs the bolt cycled back.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 10:01:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably needs to be timed. There are combination gauges for headspace and timing, or you can use a nickel and a dime as field expedients.

Somewhere out there on the intertubes is a copy of the field manual you can download which explains the headspace and timing procedures. I've got a dead tree copy, myself.

Other than adjusting the timing, just need to make sure that everything's clean and lubed properly, especially the barrel where it passes through the trunion, and make sure the correct booster is being used at the end of the barrel shroud for the cartridge being fired.  8mm and .30-06 can use the same booster, iirc, but .308 needed a different booster.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 8:18:09 AM EDT
[#5]
@WantsAnRRA: I have a copy of the field manual (FM23-45) in .pdf format. I'd be happy to send it to you.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#6]
go to the 1919a4.com forums
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 3:17:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the pointers guys, I'll report back if we figure it out.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 11:38:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Make sure the feed pawl and extractor are in good shape. If the extractor is worn, it won’t reliably pull a round out of the belt.

Also, make sure the breech lock cam (i think that’s what it’s called) that’s bolted to the bottom plate is something like 1/4 turn from being tight. There’s supposed to be a little play in it.

These guns also have to be oiled well. Pour motor oil in it till it’s dripping out the bottom.
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 7:37:41 AM EDT
[#9]
What direction are you running the links? If I run the double loop first in mine, the link gets pushed sideways and binds at the cartridge stop. I run the single loop first and it fixed the issue.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:31:32 PM EDT
[#10]
i just went thru 5 months of 1919 dos and donts learning the hard way with our store m1919 we rent. the biggest thing is make sure you are headspacing correctly because it can be dangerous if you aren't.

the 2nd most important thing is to make sure the gun is timed correctly. If you aren't using feeler gauges or the tool you probably aren't doing it correctly and it matters a lot. mine would spit out a few rounds and then fail to pull a round. When its timed it'll run a couple thousand rounds with just one or two rounds that dont get pulled from the belt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2C2InBWb4&t=317s (edit it wont seem to let me imbed)

this same user has a good headspace video. You can headspace off a live round which i did until i got headspace gauges but its damn dangerous.

the other thing on my paarticular gun is the steel links i dont load them to the maximum depth. I load to where brass is just barely visible on the top. I also lube the steel links before loading. CLoth belts work flawless, but I have to borrow a belt loader and steel i can do in my garage.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 3:08:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I think Jorge is still around and he has worked on quite a few 1919s.

Nebulous Ordnance Defense
4520 SW 74th Ave
Miami, Florida 33155
(305) 264-4500
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top