Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2011 8:17:29 AM EDT
Already got a Lage Max-11, and AC556. Looking for a pure, raw, blaster gun. This is in my price range.

Anyone here own one? Pics would be cool.

Opinions? Or should I be thinking Sten?
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 11:45:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I had one, later sold it. It was a lot of fun.

The MK-760 is a copy of the S&W 76, which is a copy of the Swedish-K.

The MK-760 is finicky about magazines. Suomi 36 round magazines can be used, but have to be adapted to the magazine well of the MK-760 to work properly. This can be done by filing the front and rear of the magazine pads as needed. Factory magazines are scarce and the ones I had didn't work at all.

Make sure you check the rear of the receiver tube where the retaining pin comes through for "ovaling". If it is an oval shape, ammo that was too hot was probably used and the constant pounding of the bolt against the rear of the receiver pin has beaten the hole to an oval shape. If so, the receiver will have to be repaired.

The gun was originally designed for hot subgun ammo like the +P, or +P+. It comes with a factory 20 pound bolt spring. Finding ammo hot enough to reliably cycle without tearing the gun up is a chore. Much easier, cheaper and less wear and tear on the gun to find an 18 pound spring and just use Wolf ammo or Winchester white box.

When shooting, do NOT hold the magazine. Use your weak hand and hold the magazine well. If you hold the magazine, it will wobble and cause malfunctions.

There are two "Smiths" in the country to work on them. One on the east coast and the other on the west coast. East, Scott Andry and west Tim LaFrance.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I had one once, as well.  It's not a bad little buzzgun.  Barrels can and do rotate during a burst, causing accuracy to be less than optimal.  Many people have modified their guns to have an index pin to prevent this.  Scott Andrey has done it a bunch of times.  Inexpensive Swedish K magazines can be easily modified for use in the MK760.  The Swedish mags are better quality as well.  (Finnish Suomi stick mags are the same thing also, and are excellent quality)  The rate of fire is a bit high for my taste (~800rpm), and it's difficult to reliably slow it down.  The trigger is decent, and the selector switch usually works fine.  I sometimes (rarely) got doubles when it was on 'semi'.  It's a fun shooter, but I certainly wouldn't choose to use one in combat if better choices were available (STEn, Uzi, PPS43, etc).

Don't use hot ammo as you WILL cause breakage of the takedown pin and elongation of the hole.  Someone made some buffers a while back.  I don't remember who it was, but you can make your own from 1/4" neoprene sheet.  They help a lot.  As mentioned above, don't hold it by the magazine.  Holding it by the barrel shroud is your best choice, until it gets too hot.

I can't tell you how many times I have heard people say "it's a copy of the Swedish K".  It's not.  Aside from the magazine and stock design, it has nothing in common with the Swedish K.  None of the parts are similar, and certainly none are interchangeable!  And firing them is a totally different experience!
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:06:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one and I like it.  The trick to keeping them going is to keep up with the extractor and spring.  Order some from Scott Andrey Machine and be done with it.  He also has a bunch of other replacement parts.  If you get really lucky (like me) you'll find a parts set and have plenty of spares.  There is a S&W 76 forum at Uzitalk where I've gleaned a lot of info from.  If you have the cash for one, go for it...they're fun shooters.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#4]
All -

Thanx for great info.

Surly -

VERY funny.  Actually, my life has been much more peaceful since.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:Surly -

VERY funny.  Actually, my life has been much more peaceful since.  

So WTF happened?  I haven't seen you there in a while.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:23:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So WTF happened?  I haven't seen you there in a while.

PM sent.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top