Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2014 10:28:23 PM EDT
Have this cross posted on a couple forums like grogs and my local ar15 forum.

I have only done some preliminary testing around 10 shots and only 2 had actual powder in them even with just a primer my lobbing distance is about 50 yards. the 2 with powder maxed out my 200 yard range with only 15 grains of triple 7 behind them.

the projectile themselves are half of an easter egg and cap from a spray can of brake clean. I am a diesel mechanic and we go through a bunch of it a week so there is never a short supply the cap is plastic and is the perfect size for use in the 2" nylon hulls it is an air tight seal.

Finding easter eggs right now is difficult to say the least. I came across the perfect sized ones in the party section of walmart they come in a pack of 6 filled with knock off silly putty. cost is $1.97 so 12 projectiles for 16 cents a piece they measure right at 36 mm OD

I fill the easter egg half with chalk then put the plastic cap in behind it and hot glue it in with the top of the cap against the chalk. this gives it a weight forward design like a shotgun slug, in flight they have been very stable and always hit nose first either direct fire or lobbed in.

here is the completed round. After gluing in the cap I take a rounded rod heated up a bit and run it around the glue to make a smooth surface that sits flush on the shell.

3 more completed rounds

hmm how do i directly imbed?
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 1:40:26 AM EDT
[#1]
That looks great!
Want to sell some caps? (Half joking)

Do you use a filler to keep the powder charge in place?
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 1:45:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That looks great!

View Quote

If these continue to work and i can find decent volumes of supply i might offer some for sale eventually after I get any of the kinks worked out

As far as the powder charge I had a couple pipe fitting thread protectors that where the perfect size for the powder charge that i used. I filled them and put a piece of tissue paper to hold the powder then glued them right over the primer hole. I am looking into figuring something quicker and easier for powder. Right now when I have been doing just primers reloading the hull is quick pop out the old put in a new one then insert a new projectile spin on the hull with pressure to warm the hot glue to attach the projectile to the case. and shoot. If i can come up with an easy way to charge the case that wont move around i will be happy.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:09:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Very cool, love the Snap On tools in background.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#4]
That's awesome.
Thank you for sharing.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I just asked the Mechanics at my PT Job if they would save up these caps for me, so i should have a bag of them in a couple of weeks    Now i just have to cruise the dollar stores and see if i can find the eggs early.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:39:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If these continue to work and i can find decent volumes of supply i might offer some for sale eventually after I get any of the kinks worked out

As far as the powder charge I had a couple pipe fitting thread protectors that where the perfect size for the powder charge that i used. I filled them and put a piece of tissue paper to hold the powder then glued them right over the primer hole. I am looking into figuring something quicker and easier for powder. Right now when I have been doing just primers reloading the hull is quick pop out the old put in a new one then insert a new projectile spin on the hull with pressure to warm the hot glue to attach the projectile to the case. and shoot. If i can come up with an easy way to charge the case that wont move around i will be happy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That looks great!

DFB, I used to use cigarette papers to make muzzle loader cartridges,  maybe using that to hold the powder,  glued down over the flash hole would work.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:48:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Pardon my ignorance, but what do you use for chalk to fill the egg shell?  How to you go about filling it?
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:16:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Pardon my ignorance, but what do you use for chalk to fill the egg shell?  How to you go about filling it?
View Quote

Marking line Chalk from Lowes/Home Despots  comes in a nice container with a pour-tip and everything.  

Also, I just found that one of my medication bottles will make an almost perfect chalk-repository as well, when i get a chance to take some photo's i'll post them    
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:15:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just asked the Mechanics at my PT Job if they would save up these caps for me, so i should have a bag of them in a couple of weeks    Now i just have to cruise the dollar stores and see if i can find the eggs early.
View Quote

Walmarts party section. I have switched to a patch paper setup as well I also cut the chalk with baking soda much cheaper. It doesn't like hot powder loads though
15 grains max which still pack some power
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:45:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I filled the triangles in thwe bottom of the round with Silicon or RTV so the powder will sit flush with the primer.  I tried school glue but it shrinks a lot when it dries.

MAHA
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I wonder if I can 3d print the casings.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#12]
LOL that's awesome!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:45:11 PM EDT
[#13]
where did you get the yellow 37mm casings? we have 40mm 203 at work but would be nice to play with my 37mm

i got a few of the aluminum 40mm casings for wasp rounds( rubber 00 buckshot for crowd control) and was thinking about having them turned down since they are reloadable but not sure if it breaks some unknown law, the plastic chalk rounds is what i was looking to do with them
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:17:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
where did you get the yellow 37mm casings? we have 40mm 203 at work but would be nice to play with my 37mm

i got a few of the aluminum 40mm casings for wasp rounds( rubber 00 buckshot for crowd control) and was thinking about having them turned down since they are reloadable but not sure if it breaks some unknown law, the plastic chalk rounds is what i was looking to do with them
View Quote

AmericanSpecialtyAmmo.com, exotic-firearms.com are 2 places that have them  There are cheaper places too, goodle search :37mm plastic hull":  ive seen them as low as $1.15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top