Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2021 3:44:57 PM EDT
Looking to get started putting in my form 1 for my 3rd book so I can start build it next year.

I’m looking at a para or commando version of the RPG7 or the Polish RPG-76

Both will require a more then 4 ounces of propellant

The term “destructive device” means (1) any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas (A) bomb, (B) grenade, (C) rocket having a propellent charge of more than four ounces, (D) missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce, (E) mine, or
View Quote

The ammunition on both designs will use rocket motors(APCP), the RPG7 will also have a Pyrodex booster stage.

I’m debating if I need to form 1 per round, and whether I should leave the explosive check box unchecked since I won’t have an explosive payload above 1/4 ounce and neither propellants are considered explosives from my understanding.

Before I write to the ATF or just submit the form 1 per round, is there a NFA attorney that could help clarify what I am supposed to do in regards to a non explosive rocket but has over 4 ounces of propellant
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Not an NFA attorney, but the plain text of the statute says "any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas rocket having a propellent charge of more than four ounces".
My take is that a chalk, signaling, or marking rocket is not a destructive device.

YMMV
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not an NFA attorney, but the plain text of the statute says "any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas rocket having a propellent charge of more than four ounces".
My take is that a chalk, signaling, or marking rocket is not a destructive device.

YMMV
View Quote

This is my understanding, as well.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:36:07 PM EDT
[#3]

My recent communication with the ATF would back up the idea it is not a destructive device however it’s confusing they stated put firearm on the form 1  which wouldn’t be required if it’s not a DD

Maybe someone with a law background can chime in
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 8:13:07 AM EDT
[#4]
There have to be some exemptions that you can use

Aerotech makes motors with over 20 lbs of propellant that don't need to be registered as DDs

Link Posted: 4/4/2022 10:06:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I guess it is a destructive device even though it’s not a destructive device lol

I’m going to have to waste my time registering a rocket and see what happens

Top Top