Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2022 9:11:18 PM EDT
Does anyone here have a Dead Air Primal and can give me the pros and cons of it? I am considering on getting one for my AR15 to hunt coyotes with.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:01:58 PM EDT
[#1]
You hunt coyotes with a 458?
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:46:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I want one bad for my .458 SOCOM. It's just so niche for the application. I
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 12:11:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I hunt yotes with whatever I can, most of the time it is with a 308 lol. My buddy has used his 458 for raccoons, it is funny as fuck seeing them explode.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 12:16:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I want one for my Contender.

The biggest pro i see is being able to shoot most any caliber through any length barrel.

Con I see is weight.

Maybe @Mageever can offer insight on his design goals or any limitations?
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 1:36:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I lol’d.

I was surprised at how effective my .458 MG7k was on 5.56. Not as effective as my other ones, but enough to get me thinking. Big bore/hybrid cans seem to be getting better, and with everyone seeking less backpressure, maybe there’s something to be said for them. I wouldn’t be too surprised if the Primal did OK at the ear, being a couple inches longer and having almost twice as many baffles.

Hoping to hear from Mageever.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 4:19:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I was looking at them also, I would be able to use it on my 458S, 450B and 350L. I'd just have to get a different one for my 50 Beo
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:12:49 PM EDT
[#7]
@1168RGR

It'll definitely sound good at ear if your host weapon isn't massively overgassed.  Muzzle report will be similar to a Sandman-S.

If you put a tighter front cap on it (like a 7.62 cap) it'll really sound amazing on an AR. I'm not a fan of super tight front caps on long cans, so that's where I recommend that for your AR in 5.56 up to even up to 7.62 cartridges (if you check with an alignment rod on the latter).  The bonus is that you'll really enjoy it on the chunky subsonic rounds if you go that route.  

It also has a very thick blast baffle and blast chamber, so if you decide to put some abuse on it (say, you're getting overrun by trash pandas) then you can definitely lay waste.  I would still choose a Sandman if you do a lot of carbine courses and/or mag dump into trash on a common basis.

I hope that quick take helps!
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#8]
@Mageever My biggest hangup with the Primal is the weight. At a full pound, it's a bit of a chonk for a .458 Socom, which isn't a mag dump into trash cartridge. I can't help but think a Ti Primal would be the bees knees. Any chance for a limited run? I know I'd buy in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:19:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I have one. Mine is under their first hundred produced. Shot it on 223, 308, 7.62x39 and 45-70 Side by side with the hybrid 46. I can tell you it’s quieter on every host than the hybrid. Todd has even blessed mine personally.
My favorite hosts are my Henry 45-70 and galil ace in 7.62x39. The bigger bore plus adjustable gas piston really plays well together.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:54:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I lol’d.

I was surprised at how effective my .458 MG7k was on 5.56. Not as effective as my other ones, but enough to get me thinking. Big bore/hybrid cans seem to be getting better, and with everyone seeking less backpressure, maybe there’s something to be said for them. I wouldn’t be too surprised if the Primal did OK at the ear, being a couple inches longer and having almost twice as many baffles.

Hoping to hear from Mageever.
View Quote

We shot my still jailed MG& in 458 bore off of my buddies bolt gun in 5.56 for no really good reason other than why not out of curiosity.  No backpressure issues there with port pop lol.  Obviously it was louder than the R9 and Wolfman I was comparing it to but even with the larger diameter bore it took quite a bit of the bark out.  For a hunting situation for a handful of shots fire totally do able if you really wanted to. I'd love to try a Primal for additional comparison.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#11]
@Mageever any chance of a Wolverine style AK mount to 1.375x24 adapter?  Not too familiar with the Wolverine (hopefully mine clears soon), but think that some sort mount like it has that mated with 1.375x24 cans would sell very well even if it would be quite bulky.   Shouldn't be an issue with using this with a 45 aperture can like the Primal or other 1.375x24 interface cans.  I would totally buy at least 2 of these and guessing they would sell well.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
@Mageever any chance of a Wolverine style AK mount to 1.375x24 adapter?  Not too familiar with the Wolverine (hopefully mine clears soon), but think that some sort mount like it has that mated with 1.375x24 cans would sell very well even if it would be quite bulky.   Shouldn't be an issue with using this with a 45 aperture can like the Primal or other 1.375x24 interface cans.  I would totally buy at least 2 of these and guessing they would sell well.
View Quote

Check dead airs website. They already have one.
https://deadairsilencers.com/product/wolverine-hub-adapter/
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 10:09:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Check dead airs website. They already have one.
https://deadairsilencers.com/product/wolverine-hub-adapter/
View Quote

That only allows for the Wolverine to be used on other DA hosts.   Asking for an adapter that is mates up to an AK and allows for 1.375x24 hosts.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 4:40:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
@Mageever My biggest hangup with the Primal is the weight. At a full pound, it's a bit of a chonk for a .458 Socom, which isn't a mag dump into trash cartridge. I can't help but think a Ti Primal would be the bees knees. Any chance for a limited run? I know I'd buy in a heartbeat.
View Quote

Would buy. Have an mg7k on my 45/70 lever and want a larger but lighter (titanium) option to get a little more performance without adding anymore weight.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 8:13:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Would buy. Have an mg7k on my 45/70 lever and want a larger but lighter (titanium) option to get a little more performance without adding anymore weight.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me three, been waiting for a Ti version since the primal was announced.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top