[#2]
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 6:47:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think the guys at AK operators union on FB use them on AKs and such
They seem to like the OSS
View Quote
They don't really use it for sound.  It's more about keeping down bolt velocity and blowback.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#5]
What intrigued me is that for 1 it wouldn't require any adjustments gas block or other wise and for 2 was supposed to be quieter at the ear because it reroutes gas instead of capturing it. From what everyone has said apparently I need to do more research. Looking for my first surpressor and want it to be as quiet as possible at the ear
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 1:04:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What intrigued me is that for 1 it wouldn't require any adjustments gas block or other wise and for 2 was supposed to be quieter at the ear because it reroutes gas instead of capturing it. From what everyone has said apparently I need to do more research. Looking for my first surpressor and want it to be as quiet as possible at the ear
View Quote
If you want the quietest at the ear then you need an adjustable gas block. You could maybe get quiet at the ear but suppressed nation videos show that a lot of silencer meter pretty close to the same on the same host.  At the ear is just as much about the host as it is about the silencer.

If you arent willing to do that then get a manual action gun and a quiet at the muzzle silencer and itll be super quiet at the ear.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 3:50:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
You'll have to first decide if you want to modify your gun (and make adjustments whenever the suppressor goes on or comes off).  If so, you have a lot of options.  If you just want to keep it stock then it's generally agreed that the OSS design does a good job of not increasing backpressure and generates decent ear numbers (I'm assuming we're talking about a basic AR-15).

There are other companies who are copying the OSS approach (flow-through instead of trapping the gas) or doing a hybrid approach using conventional baffles combined with some flow-through features.  They look promising but unfortunately we haven't seen much quality independent testing yet.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 3:57:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You'll have to first decide if you want to modify your gun (and make adjustments whenever the suppressor goes on or comes off).  If so, you have a lot of options.  If you just want to keep it stock then it's generally agreed that the OSS design does a good job of not increasing backpressure and generates decent ear numbers (I'm assuming we're talking about a basic AR-15).

There are other companies who are copying the OSS approach (flow-through instead of trapping the gas) or doing a hybrid approach using conventional baffles combined with some flow-through features.  They look promising but unfortunately we haven't seen much quality independent testing yet.
View Quote
No one's copying OSS. Front venting silencers have been made since 1910 and front venting silencers using coaxial spiraling features have been around since 1919/1927.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 4:31:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No one's copying OSS. Front venting silencers have been made since 1910 and front venting silencers using coaxial spiraling features have been around since 1919/1927.
View Quote
We've discussed this before. There's a difference between "front venting" or "spiral baffles" or "flow-through channels" or whatever you want to call them and the fact that OSS made their entire interior "flow-through".  If somebody actually has literally done what OSS did I must have missed it, but I'm guessing 1919 machining capabilities were a bit different than what we have today.

If you want to say what others are doing (the hybrid approach) has been done before, then you have already documented that for us so I'm not arguing with that.  Say what you want about OSS good or bad, but you can't deny that they did something unique and were the first to bring such a concept to market as far as the typical consumer is aware and they were the ones that brought "flow-through" into the mainstream of the industry.  Instead of constantly dumping on them people should be happy that they were willing to try something different and it could be argued that they showed the way for others who will probably improve on what they have done and we all will benefit from that.

Speaking of which, have we (or are we ever going to) see some independent comparison testing with a proper meter for the Hyperion?
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 5:42:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We've discussed this before. There's a difference between "front venting" or "spiral baffles" or "flow-through channels" or whatever you want to call them and the fact that OSS made their entire interior "flow-through".  If somebody actually has literally done what OSS did I must have missed it, but I'm guessing 1919 machining capabilities were a bit different than what we have today.

If you want to say what others are doing (the hybrid approach) has been done before, then you have already documented that for us so I'm not arguing with that.  Say what you want about OSS good or bad, but you can't deny that they did something unique and were the first to bring such a concept to market as far as the typical consumer is aware and they were the ones that brought "flow-through" into the mainstream of the industry.  Instead of constantly dumping on them people should be happy that they were willing to try something different and it could be argued that they showed the way for others who will probably improve on what they have done and we all will benefit from that.

Speaking of which, have we (or are we ever going to) see some independent comparison testing with a proper meter for the Hyperion?
View Quote
It is beyond obvious that the primary features of OSS silencers have been done before, in most cases over a century or more ago. All they did was begin selling an old technology that most people forgot about with a facelift and additional complexity. Just because something is more complex doesn't automatically make it better or unique. The concept is exactly the same regardless of how fancy or impressive you think it looks. OSS didn't originate out the front venting, spiral coaxial features, multiple layering, sending gas back and forth, etc, therefore no one is copying OSS. It is that simple.

People can meter the Hyperion whenever they want. Thunderbeast has already done it and I know there are other manufacturers that have them too. As long as they're competent and can meter properly with a to-spec meter then I don't care who posts numbers on it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It is beyond obvious that the primary features of OSS silencers have been done before, in most cases over a century or more ago. All they did was begin selling an old technology that most people forgot about with a facelift and additional complexity. Just because something is more complex doesn't automatically make it better or unique. The concept is exactly the same regardless of how fancy or impressive you think it looks. OSS didn't originate out the front venting, spiral coaxial features, multiple layering, sending gas back and forth, etc, therefore no one is copying OSS. It is that simple.

People can meter the Hyperion whenever they want. Thunderbeast has already done it and I know there are other manufacturers that have them too. As long as they're competent and can meter properly with a to-spec meter then I don't care who posts numbers on it.
View Quote
All I'm trying to say is that from the perspective of the typical consumer, OSS did something new that wasn't available in the market previously, and now other companies are doing something similar that they weren't doing previously.  No need to make it complicated, I don't know what point you're trying to make, but I was just pointing out that instead of people criticizing them for not being the holy grail of silencers people should be happy that they are helping to move the industry forward.  I don't know about you but I never heard anybody talk about backpressure before OSS started making a big deal about it.  Everybody shopping for a suppressor today should be happy that now it's a common topic of conversation.

Anyway, I only ask about the Hyperion because it looks impressive and I'm anxious to see just how good it is.  I'm disappointed that it's been out so long and yet we haven't seen good numbers on it (as far as I know).  Perhaps you could nudge the Suppressed Nation guys and see what you can do to help them make something happen.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 8:32:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
All I'm trying to say is that from the perspective of the typical consumer, OSS did something new that wasn't available in the market previously, and now other companies are doing something similar that they weren't doing previously.  No need to make it complicated, I don't know what point you're trying to make, but I was just pointing out that instead of people criticizing them for not being the holy grail of silencers people should be happy that they are helping to move the industry forward.  I don't know about you but I never heard anybody talk about backpressure before OSS started making a big deal about it.  Everybody shopping for a suppressor today should be happy that now it's a common topic of conversation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Looks pretty cut and dry to me.

As far as I know OSS was the first to make a silencer with an octagonal shell which no longer exists anyway.

Quoted:
Anyway, I only ask about the Hyperion because it looks impressive and I'm anxious to see just how good it is.  I'm disappointed that it's been out so long and yet we haven't seen good numbers on it (as far as I know).  Perhaps you could nudge the Suppressed Nation guys and see what you can do to help them make something happen.
Hansohn Bros already knows they have a Hyperion belonging to a customer that they've been told they can use for metering purposes.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I really need to get demo a Hyperion and Helios QD one day.
View Quote
The latest batch of Hyperions should be off to coating any day and for the Helios QD the cores for the latest batch are already printed, but for both models I don't know where they're allocated to but I know they're all going somewhere. I'll talk to Bobby and see what we can do.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 9:25:52 PM EDT
[#16]
AHHH SHIT! Another OSS dumpster fire thread! Lol

Think I have said this on all the other OSS threads.

The old OSS was kinda a joke IMO.

The New OSS has some great guys trying to do something different to stand out in a crowed market. Have met them at a YT shoot and really great guys to talk to and hang out with.

Pretty much any other traditional baffle can will generally sound better.

If you want the best numbers, your going to have to tweak a gas system AK / AR both have this issue.

While the OSS cans do reduce the sound dollar for dollar oz for OZ a number of other manufacturers cans will do the job better and cheaper.

YMMV
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 9:32:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Find me a deal
Who has em on clearance?
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 9:36:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Find me a deal
Who has em on clearance?
View Quote
Id be interested in one if they were priced at or below YHMs prices.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 9:46:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Id be interested in one if they were priced at or below YHMs prices.
View Quote
$400 would be nice haha
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 6:31:47 AM EDT
[#20]
It's an 11.5 in I'm trying to suppress. It would be full time. The reason I dont want adjustable gas because it's one more thing to fail. But if that's a route I have to go then.so be it
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 6:38:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
AHHH SHIT! Another OSS dumpster fire thread! Lol

Think I have said this on all the other OSS threads.

The old OSS was kinda a joke IMO.

The New OSS has some great guys trying to do something different to stand out in a crowed market. Have met them at a YT shoot and really great guys to talk to and hang out with.

Pretty much any other traditional baffle can will generally sound better.

If you want the best numbers, your going to have to tweak a gas system AK / AR both have this issue.

While the OSS cans do reduce the sound dollar for dollar oz for OZ a number of other manufacturers cans will do the job better and cheaper.

YMMV
View Quote
What can would be better at the ear.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 1:06:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hansohn Bros already knows they have a Hyperion belonging to a customer that they've been told they can use for metering purposes.
YOU DO.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 12:34:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top