Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2019 8:08:58 PM EDT
Cant seem to find the thread from a week or so ago.

This was my FIRST NFA item and after many others, it is just not getting used at all.

I sent mine out to ECCO machine and had it back in under two weeks! Easy to get on the phone and quick turnaround. Tried it out today, no issues!

Work done: mill out 51t ratchet system, 1/2-28 direct thread welded in place, duracoat OD

Gun: COLT HRT build (SBR'd M4 lower, 11.5 heavy barrel w .70 port, geissele federal rail, M16 bcg, holosun optic on SLR rail, Magpul PRO, OD furniture)

Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice!
I’m curious if you know how much weight you saved especially with no mount
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#2]
That is awesome, thanks for sharing,
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Neat! The workmanship looks super clean
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 10:02:04 PM EDT
[#5]
That turned out awesome.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 10:25:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Fantastic.  I wonder if they could put a non 51t qd mounting system in the same model can.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 9:15:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Fantastic.  I wonder if they could put a non 51t qd mounting system in the same model can.
View Quote
I don't see why not.  KeyMo SDN6?!
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 9:26:13 AM EDT
[#8]
this thread is relevant to my interests
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 9:26:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Is it mostly the product of boredom?

I mean it’s neat and all, but in the end it’s a .30 can that’s direct threaded for 1/2-28 (relegating it to 5.56mm use only)... and it’s still heavier and longer and louder on 5.56 guns than a true 5.56mm silencer. With things like $350 shipped and transferred Turbo/TurboK nowadays, I just don’t see the point.

Personally, I would have converted the SDN6 to 5/8-24” and then pinned it to a 9” .300blk AAC upper to make a honey badger type upper. One thing the SDN6 is particularly good at is blackout. Incidentally, I have a spare SDN6 I barely use and a short quiet non-SBR upper interests me... how much $ was the conversion?
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 5:18:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nice to see clean fab work
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 5:28:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Nice to see clean fab work
View Quote
That's really about all I have to say

They did an amazing job from the looks of it

But I guess Im lost on the reason why. But the workmanship is certainly top notch regardless of my opinion
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Odd choice in thread pitch, but I'd take a 7.62 can with a 5.56 thread pitch before I'd take another 51T.

I owned an SDN6 and a 556SD.

I gave both of them away after the 2nd time I had to have AAC replace the latch in the 51T mechanism.

But I'm told that issue was an anomaly.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 6:50:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice. I have a old 18t 762sd that I’d love to get swapped to direct thread 5x8x24. Anybody got his email address?
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I wonder if they could convert mine to Griffin taper mount?  My SDN6 is really my only oddball at this point.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Ecco did this mod to a buddies can. Cut the original QD system out and threaded it for Plan B.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 8:28:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ecco did this mod to a buddies can. Cut the original QD system out and threaded it for Plan B.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57761/20190613_133322_jpg-1000815.JPG
View Quote
What can is that?
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
With things like $350 shipped and transferred Turbo/TurboK nowadays, I just don’t see the point.

Incidentally, I have a spare SDN6 I barely use
View Quote
Answered your own question. SDN6 is here, old tech, un-used currently, and paid for. Why buy another can to pay another $200 stamp and wait over a year?

Quoted:
My SDN6 is really my only oddball at this point.
View Quote
Same here.

Reason for the 1/2-28 thread choice is that I already have an Omega and Sandman L being used on 762 guns. It benefits ME the most to have a 556 direct thread can. Already have the SDN6 sitting in the safe collecting dust so why not?

I'd rather not discuss price on open forum, as everyone's situation is dif. It was very cost effective though. I sold the two 51t mounts I had and it paid for the labor.

I don't need to rehash the 51t system, latch wear issues, and insane price of 51t mounts. If I'm spending $70 on a mount, it's a dead air.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 9:33:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What can is that?
View Quote
Priority Tool and Machine Vistral.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#20]
OP, how much did this cost? (Sorry if I missed it.)
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

SNIP

I'd rather not discuss price on open forum, as everyone's situation is dif. It was very cost effective though. I sold the two 51t mounts I had and it paid for the labor.

SNIP
View Quote
Quoted:
OP, how much did this cost? (Sorry if I missed it.)
View Quote
@SLAPPYROOTZ ^^^^

Best to email or IM here on Arfcom.
@SixtySixDeuce
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 1:31:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Very nice work.  I second the request for the weight of the "improved" SDN-6, please.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Very nice work.  I second the request for the weight of the "improved" SDN-6, please.
View Quote
Thirded.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 2:15:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I wonder if they welded the mount to the core assembly or just to the outer tube. I seem to recall the AAC units having a solid welded core assembly for strength and the tube slides over the assembly and is welded at the ends. The AAC acme threads are integral to the blast chamber thing that is welded to the core.

Anyways, I’d be curious if they could put a griffin taper mount on my 762-SD and my SDN6. I’m machining a taper mount adapter for my Turbo K and I think I’m going to switch over to taper mounts.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 4:38:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I wonder if they welded the mount to the core assembly or just to the outer tube. I seem to recall the AAC units having a solid welded core assembly for strength and the tube slides over the assembly and is welded at the ends. The AAC acme threads are integral to the blast chamber thing that is welded to the core.
View Quote
For a custom direct thread mount, I can keep diameter small enough that we don't lose the connection of the inner core to outer tube.  I bore out the square threads and re-thread in 24 pitch, then fusion weld the mount.  The threads are the connection; the weld really just makes it permanent.

For the record, the original weld is still there; my circumferential fusion weld is behind it.

Link Posted: 7/2/2019 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I wonder if they could convert mine to Griffin taper mount?  My SDN6 is really my only oddball at this point.
View Quote
THIS.

I thought about doing a 5/8x24 thread for my bolt gun but this is a mount I have on three other rifles....

Off to email...
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#27]
I wonder if this could be done with thread inserts like Rebel Silencers uses. I know their tech isn't the best but for a .30 cal direct thread it'd be nice to have the 1/2x28 or 5/8x24 options.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 1:32:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Nice!
I'm curious if you know how much weight you saved especially with no mount
View Quote
Quoted:
View Quote
Quoted:

Thirded.
View Quote
So, I sent off my SDN6 to @Sixtysixdeuce, and I had Griffin drop ship a Plan A to him as well.  Nick did his incredible machining and now I have a SDN6 that I can not only put on almost every other rifle I currently own, but I could also convert it to work with other QD systems that use the same base thread.  He is fast and more than reasonable.  I weighed the can before I sent it, came in at 1.30lbs, and it weighed 1.35lbs upon return with the Plan A mounted, so picked up about .5oz, but since I had a spare titanium minimalist taper mount, I'm sure I saved at least the .5oz over the 3 prong 51t mount.  Overall, super pleased, and will use ECCO Machine in the future, even when he raises his rates because he is too cheap for what he's doing, just look how nice that finish came out.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:31:15 AM EDT
[#29]
This is great news. Especially if it is affordable to convert a collection of cans with different mounts to standardize on Plan B.

Question: Griffin's Plan A mate to Q's Plan B, right?
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:21:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Great knowing I have this option. I've got an SDN6 I love, but the mount stresses me out. Unfortunately, I've got like a dozen 51t mounts...so not in a big hurry to switch out.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:39:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Question: Griffin's Plan A mate to Q's Plan B, right?
View Quote
They're simply adapters to allow any can with the 1-3/8 24 TPI female housing threads to be used with each company's respective muzzle devices.

-Griffin Plan A couples any suppressor with the 1-3/8 24 TPI female mount threads to Griffin taper mount brakes

-Q Plan B couples any suppressor with those 1-3/8 24 TPI female mount threads to the Q Cherry Bomb brake

And, of course, any so-threaded suppressor can use SilencerCo mounting systems (SiCo is the progenitor of this pattern), YHM makes a mount module for 1-3/8 24, so does Area 419 and others.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 6:00:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Hot damn, that looks great! I may have to see about getting my Sandman K modified to use 1-3/8 24 mounts
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Can the AAC SDN6 be converted to Dead air keymount?
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 4:33:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
I would imagine so, I believe Keymo is the same thread.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 9:04:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
10-4.  Confirmed with @sixtysixdeuce via FB messenger that this is possible.  Gonna send him two cans soon.
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 1:25:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

10-4.  Confirmed with @sixtysixdeuce via FB messenger that this is possible.  Gonna send him two cans soon.
View Quote
Good call, he does excellent work.  My SDN6 is so much more useable to me now.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 10:13:15 AM EDT
[#38]
This is great news as my SDN6 has the "wobble" on all of my 51T mounts.  It has also suffered from the latch teeth wearing down and having to be sent back to AAC to have the latch replaced.  Due to this it rarely gets used.

I have ordered a Plan A from Griffin and will be sending it off as soon as the mount arrives.

Thanks for this info, very excited to get the SDN6 hot again.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:18:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

They're simply adapters to allow any can with the 1-3/8 24 TPI female housing threads to be used with each company's respective muzzle devices.

-Griffin Plan A couples any suppressor with the 1-3/8 24 TPI female mount threads to Griffin taper mount brakes

-Q Plan B couples any suppressor with those 1-3/8 24 TPI female mount threads to the Q Cherry Bomb brake

And, of course, any so-threaded suppressor can use SilencerCo mounting systems (SiCo is the progenitor of this pattern), YHM makes a mount module for 1-3/8 24, so does Area 419 and others.
View Quote
PM sent
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top