Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/24/2018 7:57:56 PM EDT
I've had this can and mount for three years, now the brake is stuck and I'm pissed.  I had antiseize on all of the right parts, too.  Too late to call SiCo.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 8:16:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Trifecta? Lol

Sorry OP.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 8:19:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Call them anyway.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Why is it too late for the warranty?
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why is it too late for the warranty?
View Quote
Sorry, I meant “too late to call SiCo”.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 9:48:13 PM EDT
[#5]
That Saker has some miles on it, when I shoot my MAAD off I switched out to ASR. It may be time to move on brother.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 9:53:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That Saker has some miles on it, when I shoot my MAAD off I switched out to ASR. It may be time to move on brother.
View Quote
Yeah, I shoot my rifles . It’s definitely time to upgrade to ASR, KeyMo, or Plan B.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 11:56:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Not sure that your problem is the same, but the first time I played around with my Saker and the brake they became stuck. No joke, two buddies tried for about two hours to separate the mount and brake before giving up. The next day we saw the dealer who sold me the can. He screwed the mount back into the can and in two seconds he had the can and the brake separated. He pressed or pulled on the exterior gray metal spring to get the little "tits" out of the grooves, turned the mount and it was done.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 12:15:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not sure that your problem is the same, but the first time I played around with my Saker and the brake they became stuck. No joke, two buddies tried for about two hours to separate the mount and brake before giving up. The next day we saw the dealer who sold me the can. He screwed the mount back into the can and in two seconds he had the can and the brake separated. He pressed on the exterior gray metal spring to get the little "tits" out of the grooves, turned the mount and it was done.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/81561/saker_maad_mount_main-618576.JPG
View Quote
If this doesn't work I'd soak it over night in penetrating fluid.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 7:24:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not sure that your problem is the same, but the first time I played around with my Saker and the brake they became stuck. No joke, two buddies tried for about two hours to separate the mount and brake before giving up. The next day we saw the dealer who sold me the can. He screwed the mount back into the can and in two seconds he had the can and the brake separated. He pressed on the exterior gray metal spring to get the little "tits" out of the grooves, turned the mount and it was done.

View Quote
Mucho thanks for the help!  I'll give this a shot when I get home from work.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 7:48:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yeah, I shoot my rifles . It’s definitely time to upgrade to ASR, KeyMo, or Plan B.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I never had an issue with the trifecta mount but got a keymo when they first came out. The Q stuff looks good but I just dont like how it only engages about half the threads of your barrel isn't tapered.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 9:47:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Q stuff looks good but I just dont like how it only engages about half the threads of your barrel isn't tapered.
View Quote
If used on a non-tapered barrel, the Cherry Bomb typically only engages a very small area of the barrel shoulder. Some people have had to taper their barrel anyway as the Cherry Bomb would slip over the barrel shoulder a tiny amount (their OD was probably on the small side for suppressor mounting anyway).

Link Posted: 7/25/2018 9:54:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I never had an issue with the trifecta mount but got a keymo when they first came out. The Q stuff looks good but I just dont like how it only engages about half the threads of your barrel isn't tapered.
View Quote
A general engineering rule of thumb is that 3 to 4 threads engaged reaches full strength for threaded connections.  I'd be more concerned that the taper to shoulder connection provides less surface for friction and torque setting than taper to taper or shoulder to shoulder.  I imagine Q has thought about that and optimized the taper geometry for typical barrels.  Sig has been using a similar scheme for a while and it seems to work well.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 11:47:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If used on a non-tapered barrel, the Cherry Bomb typically only engages a very small area of the barrel shoulder. Some people have had to taper their barrel anyway as the Cherry Bomb would slip over the barrel shoulder a tiny amount (their OD was probably on the small side for suppressor mounting anyway).

https://cdn8.bigcommerce.com/s-50c7cl/images/stencil/608x608/products/1142/4225/IMG20180203170931021_2048x2048__85987.1529604020.jpg?c=2
View Quote
I'm so happy with my Sig SRD 556Ti QD that I'd take a chance on anything Q makes.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A general engineering rule of thumb is that 3 to 4 threads engaged reaches full strength for threaded connections.  I'd be more concerned that the taper to shoulder connection provides less surface for friction and torque setting than taper to taper or shoulder to shoulder.  I imagine Q has thought about that and optimized the taper geometry for typical barrels.  Sig has been using a similar scheme for a while and it seems to work well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Q says it can be mounted on a 90* shoulder just fine. I used Rocksett and torqued it to the maximum recommended 30ft/lbs.

Link Posted: 7/25/2018 5:03:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had that happen a few times and I've launched my can one time, I'm converting everything to Q's stuff and using Cherry Bombs on all my rifles now.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
I had to jam some pocket screwdrivers in there and lift the tit out of that notch so I could turn the ring.

I learned never play with the mount on a brake that isnt attached to a rifle or silencer... huge pain in the ass to get back off.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 11:02:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I dont understand the appeal of the fine thread QD mounts. You are basically just direct threading your can on the gun and paying a bunch of money per mount to do it. i guess the taper helps adhesion some but then you are  occassionally having the problem of mount stuck in can better than it sticks to rifle unless you are rocksetting every mount.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 12:09:10 AM EDT
[#18]
My MAAD kept launching my Sakar.

They sent me replacements but I gave up on them and use ASR now.

Or just the screw mount.

Very disappointed in the MAAD.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 12:16:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I dont understand the appeal of the fine thread QD mounts. You are basically just direct threading your can on the gun and paying a bunch of money per mount to do it. i guess the taper helps adhesion some but then you are  occassionally having the problem of mount stuck in can better than it sticks to rifle unless you are rocksetting every mount.
View Quote
I've used my Omega as a direct thread can for years. Going back and forth between a 1/2" and 5/8" rear end all the time sucks. The Q mount will allow me to have a foolproof mount system without swapping any parts, while still being able to have muzzle devices on all my rifles. And yes you should rocksett on the muzzle device.

The less moving parts, the better.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 1:27:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
On the CF barrel, the Cherry Bomb turns 6 3/4 rotations before seating on the shoulder, on the other barrel it gets 7 1/4 rotations. That's plenty.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 1:41:41 AM EDT
[#21]
For a given fastener diameter finer threads are stronger in both tension and shear, take less torque to reach preload, resist loosening better, and are easier and faster to machine.  So this arrangement doesn't need locking mechanisms and is light, simple, and cheap to make.  The downside for fine threads is higher potential for gauling and less tolerant of debris and contaminants but the taper seal and low potential for gauling metals precludes that.  It's a solid design.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 6:48:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Update: no news.

Called SiCo, had to leave a message due to "call volume over our recent sale" and then I dicked around with that goddamn mount for an hour, no luck.   I guess my next step is either sending it in SiCo when they finally call or red loctiting it to the barrel and seeing if I can get it off that way.  I'm conflicted on getting SiCo to replace my Trifect crap with either direct thread or ASR stuff.  I don't swap out suppressors much.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:20:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Called SiCo, had to leave a message due to "call volume over our recent sale" and then I dicked around with that goddamn mount for an hour, no luck.   I guess my next step is either sending it in SiCo when they finally call or red loctiting it to the barrel and seeing if I can get it off that way.  I'm conflicted on getting SiCo to replace my Trifect crap with either direct thread or ASR stuff.  I don't swap out suppressors much.
View Quote
Direct thread is definitely the simplest, if you don't mind keeping your barrels around with no muzzle devices. Depending on how many suppressors you have and your barrel thread sizes, it could be simple or a pain on the ass. I was having to swap the DT module in my Omega a lot and I got tired of it.

I still wanted the simplicity of DT due to the low risk involved, but didn't want to keep swapping from 1/2 to 5/8. The Q mount is a great solution for me. I have been a huge SiCo fan for years, but they shit the bed on their mounts.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:54:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Direct thread is definitely the simplest, if you don't mind keeping your barrels around with no muzzle devices. Depending on how many suppressors you have and your barrel thread sizes, it could be simple or a pain on the ass. I was having to swap the DT module in my Omega a lot and I got tired of it.

I still wanted the simplicity of DT due to the low risk involved, but didn't want to keep swapping from 1/2 to 5/8. The Q mount is a great solution for me. I have been a huge SiCo fan for years, but they shit the bed on their mounts.
View Quote
Why do you like the Q mount over the Dead Air one?
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 11:45:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not going to campaign against the Dead Air because I've never handled one, but they seem to be pretty solid.

My main reason is that I bought a Q rifle and a Q suppressor, so I'll have one can that uses the CB mount, and they're going to make Plan B's for the rest of my cans. But other reasons are price, the Q Plan B is $150, the Dead Air module is $250. When you have 3 cans that need those, that's gonna make a difference. Another reason is weight and length. The Q setup is shorter and lighter than the Dead Air. Last would be a complete lack of moving parts to fail on the Q mount. The only thing you can fuck up is ruining the threads or not properly tightening the CB down on the barrel and bringing it off with the can. Which for the Omega and the Saker is as simple as removing the Plan B and putting a socket on the CB and your wrench on the Plan B and removing it.

To sum it up, price, weight and length, and simplicity.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 11:51:19 AM EDT
[#26]
They replaced all my Trifecta's with ASR mounts. No issues since.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 2:26:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Have you soaked it yet? You could probably get the nub of the brake in a vice and use a strap wrench on the mount to get some leverage.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 5:03:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Have you soaked it yet? You could probably get the nub of the brake in a vice and use a strap wrench on the mount to get some leverage.
View Quote
That’s next...since SiCo hasn’t returned my CS call 24 hours later
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bandsaw time.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 5:10:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Bandsaw time.
View Quote
please take video
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
please take video
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bandsaw time.
please take video
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 5:30:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Bandsaw time.
View Quote
Ultrasonic and then penetrating oil time.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 7:15:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Trifecta mount had issues. The ASR mount is fantastic.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#34]
SiCo hasn’t responded, I called them again and left a voicemail today.  Also sent them an email.  I want a swap to ASR ASAP.  Pissed off.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 1:42:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 1:45:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hmmm...chainsaw wouldn't get it off?
View Quote
. Nah, gotta clean that saw, tighten the chain, and hit the cutters and rakers.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 2:34:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Based on the damage on the mount, I almost thought you'd tried it.
View Quote
I was pretty pissed off, waited over 48 hours on a response from SiCo and I figured that I'm trading in this piece of shit mount for an ASR one anyway.  I took a look at at SiCo's FB page, nothing but complaints about their lack of comms.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 2:35:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Also, the damage to the mount is cosmetic only, it ratchets and seems to work fine, not that I'll ever use that piece of shit again.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 2:37:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I was pretty pissed off, waited over 48 hours on a response from SiCo and I figured that I'm trading in this piece of shit mount for an ASR one anyway.  I took a look at at SiCo's FB page, nothing but complaints about their lack of comms.
View Quote
They're a small shop and they got demolished by their summer sale. I know it's annoying, but in the long term life of something like a suppressor, it's just a minor delay. They'll take care of you, just let them catch up.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 2:41:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
They're a small shop and they got demolished by their summer sale. I know it's annoying, but in the long term life of something like a suppressor, it's just a minor delay. They'll take care of you, just let them catch up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, it looks like they're treating everyone the same right now.  I sent them an email after my two voicemails.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 3:44:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Oh, it looks like they're treating everyone the same right now.  I sent them an email after my two voicemails.
View Quote
They have had amazing CS for years now but these are some hard times right now. Between the summer sale and all the layoffs I'm sure they are hurting.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

They have had amazing CS for years now but these are some hard times right now. Between the summer sale and all the layoffs I'm sure they are hurting.
View Quote
Yeah, three calls this week and they didn’t answer once.  I’m honestly worried that I’ll have to eat the cost of these shitty trifecta mounts and brakes and have to buy Plan B or KyMo.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 4:16:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
...or YHM.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, three calls this week and they didn’t answer once.  I’m honestly worried that I’ll have to eat the cost of these shitty trifecta mounts and brakes and have to buy Plan B or KyMo.
...or YHM.
Doesn’t look any cheaper than the other alternatives.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 4:31:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 4:52:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By BigWaylon
The design is simple, and practically idiot-proof...so it's worked well for me.
View Quote
Idiot proof is why I bought YHM
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 6:54:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Dead KeyMo en route. SWFA had a deal on their MAAD adapters at $89 and @HansohnBrothers made me an excellent deal on the muzzle devices. Day three of no response from SiCo.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 7:59:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Dead KeyMo en route. SWFA had a deal on their MAAD adapters at $89 and @HansohnBrothers made me an excellent deal on the muzzle devices. Day three of no response from SiCo.
View Quote
That is a great deal on the adapter! They're normally $200-225, from what I've seen.

Just an FYI, you might want to disassemble and lube it before use. I managed to get my Sandman-S pretty well stuck on my 2nd range trip by swapping a warm suppressor onto a cold mount, and not loosening it before everything cooled down again.

It took some effort, but I got it loose eventually. I've since lubed it with some silicone grease, and it seems much easier to install and remove.

I'd just hate to see you get your new Key-Mo mount stuck, and have to resort back to the chainsaw...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top