Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2018 8:35:43 PM EDT
Have been going back and forth on if I need a .308 can yet. I was told the sandmans have no restrictions for barrel length and that is great for my love of SBR’s.  My plan is to use the sandman on my 4.5” 5.56 sbr and a .308 sbr that I have yet to determine.  I love short and compact, but I also want to be reasonable as I’m only buying 1 more can after this until next year.  So should I hedge my bets and go with the S and sacrifice some length? Or stick with the K for the smallest of packages?
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:59:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Have been going back and forth on if I need a .308 can yet. I was told the sandmans have no restrictions for barrel length and that is great for my love of SBR’s.  My plan is to use the sandman on my 4.5” 5.56 sbr and a .308 sbr that I have yet to determine.  I love short and compact, but I also want to be reasonable as I’m only buying 1 more can after this until next year.  So should I hedge my bets and go with the S and sacrifice some length? Or stick with the K for the smallest of packages?
View Quote
S
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:01:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I’d go s if you just get one.  The s is still comfortable with no hearing on a 20” .308 gun and I run my 5.56 sbrs without hearing as well.  I’m sure guys will say you still need hearing but I don’t find it necessary for short strings.  The k is awesome but not comfortable without hearing protection.  Having said that I’m sure I’ll get a k to accompany my s.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:09:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
S
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have been going back and forth on if I need a .308 can yet. I was told the sandmans have no restrictions for barrel length and that is great for my love of SBR's.  My plan is to use the sandman on my 4.5" 5.56 sbr and a .308 sbr that I have yet to determine.  I love short and compact, but I also want to be reasonable as I'm only buying 1 more can after this until next year.  So should I hedge my bets and go with the S and sacrifice some length? Or stick with the K for the smallest of packages?
S
This was the advice I got on this question.  I ordered the S.  Then when I got my tax refund I ordered the K.  The K will live mostly on my 12.5" 6.8 for home defense, but I am looking forward to testing them side by side.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:10:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I couldn't decide so I got both, if that helps.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:13:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a K. I kinda want another.

I also bought an L and will probably pick up an S at some point.

The K will be loud, but if you like short it fits the bill.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
4.5" 5.56 and .308 SBR?  Sandman-L
View Quote
This.

I opted for the K.  Sometimes I kinda regret it and  think I should have gone with the S.  I was mainly wanting it for .300 blk  and subs and the K is adequate for that.  On my 10.5 5.56 its loud. Just about anything else I might add into my arsenal not .300 blk through the K is gonna be loud. The S would have fit that bill better honestly.  As someone already stated, a few shots through the K with a 5.56 are tolerable but not something I like to do often especially at a range session.  If I got another Sandman I might actually consider the TI model or someone elses direct thread can for my bolt gun but an S or an L for me would be nice since I'm already invested in the mounts with some of my AR pattern rifles.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Didnt read. Unless you have dedicated cans and hosts, the answer is S
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:36:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This.

I opted for the K.  Sometimes I kinda regret it and  think I should have gone with the S.  I was mainly wanting it for .300 blk  and subs and the K is adequate for that.  On my 10.5 5.56 its loud. Just about anything else I might add into my arsenal not .300 blk through the K is gonna be loud. The S would have fit that bill better honestly.  As someone already stated, a few shots through the K with a 5.56 are tolerable but not something I like to do often especially at a range session.  If I got another Sandman I might actually consider the TI model or someone elses direct thread can for my bolt gun but an S or an L for me would be nice since I'm already invested in the mounts with some of my AR pattern rifles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

I think it depends on what you want it for. I wanted the S for shooting at the range. I wanted the K for blackout subs, but mostly for home defense and possibly hunting.  If the K is loud for home defense but not ring my ears permanent hearing damage I'm happy.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 10:11:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Can I see your 4" 556?
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 10:29:21 PM EDT
[#11]
S first, K later on. You’ll get far more use and overall satisfaction with the S, but eventually you’ll want a shorter lighter option for when you’re carrying it more than shooting it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 12:04:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Neither one will be hearing safe on a 4.5" barrel so pick the the K and be done with it.  I assume that the reason you made the 4.5 is to be light and maneuverable and long heavy suppressor will take away from it.  Sandman S is a tank at over 20 ounces with the brake. Rugged razor is shorter and lighter than the sandman s.  I like that too.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 12:31:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Start with the S

Then get a K later, at least that's my plan
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 7:44:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:59:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd go S.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#16]
If this is your only centerfire can and those are your only two hosts I'd go with the Sandman L.

I've got a K and it's still quite loud on a 18" Grendel and a 8" 5.56.  It's going to be even worse with your hosts.   I believe even the S is going to be over 140 DB with those hosts.  The L would probably be a better choice.

Or you could get both the K and the L.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 9:52:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Sandman-S
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 12:15:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Can I see your 4" 556?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Next to 7.5” upper for reference
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I am picturing you with no teeth as I’m sure these teeth rattling contraptions you have, have busted them all out. Holy shit those don’t look like fun at all.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I stil need to try my k on a hk51. That'll rattle some fillings loose.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 2:07:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought both!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 2:15:35 PM EDT
[#23]
The K would keep it short and light, which I assume is your goal.  It won't be hearing safe, but it will take some of the bite out of it.  In an indoor self defense scenario it would still be loud, but a helluva lot better than shooting that thing without a can.  And I think you can still get the K pretty cheap.

That said, the right answer is get both
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 2:38:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Get with HansohnBrothers and they still have a great deal on the K. I bought both also. But, given how short your guns are I would say the L would be the way to go and the gun would still be pretty compact.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Op, ever consider swapping out for a larger diameter hand guard and tucking the can inside?  A 10 to 12 inch rail with the Sandman L in there would look sweet IMO. Or maybe do a 7 to 9 in rail with an S in there?
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Op, ever consider swapping out for a larger diameter hand guard and tucking the can inside?  A 10 to 12 inch rail with the Sandman L in there would look sweet IMO. Or maybe do a 7 to 9 in rail with an S in there?
View Quote
This is what I did with a 7.5" blackout.

I run either the K or S under it and it's really nice!
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 10:13:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I am picturing you with no teeth as I’m sure these teeth rattling contraptions you have, have busted them all out. Holy shit those don’t look like fun at all.
View Quote
They definitely aren’t making me any friends at the range. People hate me after a couple mags
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 10:16:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
I used to tuck my recce5 on the 7.5” but the heat during heavy shooting was too much. I was suprised how quick the rails heat up.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 11:09:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

They definitely aren’t making me any friends at the range. People hate me after a couple mags
View Quote
Lol. If you were shooting that regularly at my local range I would have my S&W 500 with me at all times. If I shot it gangsta style I could probably singe some eyebrows in the stall next to me from the muzzle port.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:08:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Pulled the trigger on the S
Now the wait begins...
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 8:41:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Pulled the trigger on the S
Now the wait begins...
View Quote
good choice
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 9:22:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Have you chronographed that 4.5" 556?  Was that a custom chop and thread job or does somebody actually sell barrels that short?  Also curious about the gas tube length (pigtail?) and gas port size.

I bet if you advertised a Go Fund Me page for needing a 300BO upper for your range you'd get consideration for it.  

The SPL on that unsuppressed is damned close to a flash bang grenade.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
S first, K later on. You’ll get far more use and overall satisfaction with the S, but eventually you’ll want a shorter lighter option for when you’re carrying it more than shooting it.
View Quote
This is where I currently stand, S in-hand and looking at Ks. You'll end up wanting both before it's over, but starting with the S is a good idea.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 12:56:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Have you chronographed that 4.5" 556?  Was that a custom chop and thread job or does somebody actually sell barrels that short?  Also curious about the gas tube length (pigtail?) and gas port size.

I bet if you advertised a Go Fund Me page for needing a 300BO upper for your range you'd get consideration for it.  

The SPL on that unsuppressed is damned close to a flash bang grenade.
View Quote
No access to a chrono, nor do I know how to use one lol.  The barrel is from SLR Rifleworks, I’m a huge fan of their stuff. The barrel, gasblock and tube all come together as a  package. They had teased a super short 308 barrel which I’m lusting after, but will do a 12.5” while I impatiently wait
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 1:00:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This is where I currently stand, S in-hand and looking at Ks. You'll end up wanting both before it's over, but starting with the S is a good idea.
View Quote
I had both in my cart, but I really want an omega 9k and I promised myself I was going to make an effort to spend less on guns this year.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 1:40:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I had both in my cart, but I really want an omega 9k and I promised myself I was going to make an effort to spend less on guns this year.
View Quote
Get the Sandman K.  It's on sale for a good price and uses the same muzzle devices as the S.  You'll save money!!
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Get the Sandman K.  It's on sale for a good price and uses the same muzzle devices as the S.  You'll save money!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The K is currently a steal. With my .mil discount at DSG Arms I think I picked mine up for like $450 shipped w/ included keymount brake. Then again I picked up my S from them awhile back for like $680. Both are worth their (considerable) weight in gold overall, and I consider sturdy and flexible rifle suppressors to be about the most used and valuable gun money I’ve spent thus far.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#38]
So one thing to watch out for when you get your suppressor is bullet stability.  That short of a barrel will deliver lower velocity and even though it's a fast 1:7 twist the length isn't enough for even one complete bullet revolution. Having a .30 cal can gives you some lee-way and if you stick to 55gn and lighter bullets the risk is low.  But for the first shot or two with the can, look for groups opening up or huge impact shift, and examine the front cap.  I've seen it happen on 7" 556 with an M4-2000.  It's a 556 can and no had no visible baffle strikes, but that barrel and can did not play well together.  It grouped worse than buckshot and key holed at 10 yards into a 3-4 foot spread. Hopefully you don't have this problem, but it would suck to chinger up a new can by not looking out for weirdness at first.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top