Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2016 10:54:13 AM EDT
I hope I didn;t screw up. I filed 3 form 1s and I did not attach my assignment of property document. My trust does not refer to a schedule A or an assignment of property in the body of the trust. I was reading that I need to add the actual (non-NFA) firearm to assignment of property schedule and submit it with my trust. It makes sense that the trust must own the (Non-NFA) gun before it can change it to an SBR.

What about form 1 suppressors? Is my application going to be denied?

It looks like I can still add documents to the application when I click on each SBR application on the eforms website.

Should I add the items to assignment of property document and add the document to the already submitted application? Please help
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:22:39 AM EDT
[#1]
If you sent all that to the IRS as your title implies, then yes, you screwed that all up.

I've heard some people saying they never submit their schedules when sending the trust to the ATF. I haven't heard of any issues with this but hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you sent all that to the IRS as your title implies, then yes, you screwed that all up.

I've heard some people saying they never submit their schedules when sending the trust to the ATF. I haven't heard of any issues with this but hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.
View Quote

I did not attach schedule A
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand that. Everytime I have submitted my trust I have attached my schedule A. I have read that other people have never attached their schedule A when submitting the trust and haven't had any issues. I think you will be ok but hopefully someone else with more knowledge will chime in.

PS. Fix your title. It says IRS, not ATF.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:32:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I understand that. Everytime I have submitted my trust I have attached my schedule A. I have read that other people have never attached their schedule A when submitting the trust and haven't had any issues. I think you will be ok but hopefully someone else with more knowledge will chime in.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good call on the title. I am a CPA and had another of my favorite government organizations on the brain
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:51:59 PM EDT
[#5]
My trust, also in Florida, does not mention or require a Schedule A, but uses an Assignment Sheet to add items to the trust.  A combination of 22 eforms and paper F1 & F4 approved submissions have been with the trust document only.

Edited to correct how many stamps.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 1:11:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My trust, also in Florida, does not mention or require a Schedule A, but uses an Assignment Sheet to add items to the trust.  A combination of 18 eforms and paper F1 & F4 approved submissions have been with the trust document only.
View Quote

Thank you for relieving my anxiety Bluebeemer! I feel much better now. I am getting ready to submit 4 more form 1s this week so I wanted to be sure at least for my next submissions. Thanks again
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 1:12:00 PM EDT
[#7]
It all depends on how your trust is written. You should be able to read your trust or the information that came with it and be able to determine if it's necessary.

I'm on two trusts. One has a Schedule A which is part of the trust, one has an assignment sheet which isn't part of the trust and doesn't need submitted.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It all depends on how your trust is written. You should be able to read your trust or the information that came with it and be able to determine if it's necessary.

I'm on two trusts. One has a Schedule A which is part of the trust, one has an assignment sheet which isn't part of the trust and doesn't need submitted.
View Quote

Mine has an assignment sheet that is not a part of the trust. My local SOT just told me I don't need to submit it so I should be fine. Thank you for the comments.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 1:50:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Mine has an assignment sheet that is not a part of the trust. My local SOT just told me I don't need to submit it so I should be fine. Thank you for the comments.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like you're in good shape.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now on to 2 SBS and 2 more SBRs and maybe a form 1 can or 2!
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I had my trust drawn up my nfalawyers and his only has an assignment sheet. I included for both my form 1 filings. Hopefully I shud be able to say all is ok in a few days since ITS BEEN DAMN 4 MONTHES!!

Now on a form 4. I uploaded the trust only and asked SS about that same assignment sheet and he said no not required. But to add it after approval.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 2:56:06 PM EDT
[#12]
From my reading, most of the denials are a result of the trust not being funded. I have not found an instance yet where an application for an SBR/SBS was denied because it was not put on the assignment of property sheet. Does the ATF really have time to look through all of the trust documents submitted? The ATF agents are not attorneys and really shouldn't be attempting to interpret trust law anyway.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 3:44:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
From my reading, most of the denials are a result of the trust not being funded. I have not found an instance yet where an application for an SBR/SBS was denied because it was not put on the assignment of property sheet. Does the ATF really have time to look through all of the trust documents submitted? The ATF agents are not attorneys and really shouldn't be attempting to interpret trust law anyway.
View Quote

I'll admit, this whole "Funding the trust" thing still confuses me.

To clear up your thread title, a Schedule A is not an assignment sheet, your trust has one or the other.  I have an assignment sheet and have submitted for 14 stamps with a completely blank assignment sheet, no problems so far.

So far I've seen

-Assignment sheet should have the item that your submitting the stamp for

-Assignment sheet should have a dollar in it to "Fund the trust"

-Assignment sheet can be submitted blank but your original should have something on it

-Assignment sheet should have all of your items of the trust listed on it.

And the assignment sheet isn't a notirized piece, seems like it can be changed at any time with "witness" signatures. And I'm assuming trustees count as witnesses.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

To clear up your thread title, a Schedule A is not an assignment sheet, your trust has one or the other.  I have an assignment sheet and have submitted for 14 stamps with a completely blank assignment sheet, no problems so far.

So far I've seen

-Assignment sheet can be submitted blank but your original should have something on it

And the assignment sheet isn't a notirized piece, seems like it can be changed at any time with "witness" signatures. And I'm assuming trustees count as witnesses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So far I've seen

updated my title. This trust stuff is confusing
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:12:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I had my trust drawn up my nfalawyers and his only has an assignment sheet. I included for both my form 1 filings. Hopefully I shud be able to say all is ok in a few days since ITS BEEN DAMN 4 MONTHES!!

Now on a form 4. I uploaded the trust only and asked SS about that same assignment sheet and he said no not required. But to add it after approval.
View Quote

Well, the instructions I got from Dean say to include the assignment of property *FOR THE ITEM IN QUESTION* along with each trust submission - F1 or F4.  IANAL, but I try to follow the instructions I get from mine!  Seems like a no harm issue since each AOP specifies only the item on the form - so it's not like you're giving away the arsenal contents
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:38:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Well, the instructions I got from Dean say to include the assignment of property *FOR THE ITEM IN QUESTION* along with each trust submission - F1 or F4.  IANAL, but I try to follow the instructions I get from mine!  Seems like a no harm issue since each AOP specifies only the item on the form - so it's not like you're giving away the arsenal contents
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I meant for each filing I included only for that item
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:54:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Understood, more pointing out that the instructions he sent with my trust spell this out, and he does say to include it with a Form4 purchase.  No idea if it matters or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top