Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2016 2:44:27 AM EDT
Do you guys have a dedicated can for each of your rifle hosts? Or do you move some of your cans from host to host?

I ask because I just my 2nd Scar 17 and I have a Sandman S in jail right now. I can't afford another at the moment, but I like the idea of a can for each rifle.

What do you guys do?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:23:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Guess it depends on what you can afford to do.  I swap mine, but if I could just drop dough on suppressors to dedicate, I would.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:25:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I only have 4 cans (3 in jail)  the 3 are pistol cans (22, 9 and 45) and they they r on dedicated pistols. My 308 does double duty on my 308 and 2 ar's.  I'm debating on getting the specwar k for the 223 and leave the 308 can for the 308.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:57:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I started with one can for all of my rifles, but I'm essentially at one can per rifle now. I think everyone starts off wanting one can for everything and everyone ends up with one can for each thing.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:22:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I use dedicated, usually direct thread cans for each firearm. Keeps the firearms as short and light as possible. Obviously requires a bit more cash so that strategy doesn't work for everyone especially those with large collections
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:47:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:47:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm really working towards dedicated cans per host. I have guns like a Chinese SKS and .277 wolverine that would be nice to have a FH on to use suppressed occasionally but I can't see myself having dedicated cans for those rifles. Maybe though, we'll see what the landscape is after 41p...
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Maybe if I didn't have to pay a tax stamp for each one.

Although I have a good amount of suppressors, I don't and won't have one for each host.

Technology also marches on and I expect that in 10-15 years, what I have will be outdated or not supported anymore so rather than striving to get one for each host now, I'll be buying more and redistributing among hosts in the future.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:19:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Guess it depends on what you can afford to do.  I swap mine, but if I could just drop dough on suppressors to dedicate, I would.
View Quote

I agree with this. I have one and another in jail and that's all I can afford. That's the beauty of QD mounts, it literally takes less than 30 seconds in most cases to switch from host to host
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:25:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I like 1 per.  If you can do that...do it.  Nothing wrong with having lots of mufflers if you can justify the money.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:18:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It really depends on your collection.  I've got stuff I haven't shot in 3-5 years, so putting a dedicated can on them doesn't make any sense.  

For things I use quite a bit, then I do enjoy having a can dedicated to it.  I see it kind of like high end optics, outfitting 50 rifles with high end optics and cans is an investment to say the least... but 5 of them that you use all the time--- sure, why not.  
View Quote

I agree with this... it really depends on how many rifles you have and what kind you have.  I am almost 1 can per rifle, but don't plan to suppress a few of the rifles I have, mostly because I don't shoot them very often or they don't fit into a "suppressed rifle" category for me.

It's taken me a while and considerable $, but it has been worth it to me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:19:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Do you guys have a dedicated can for each of your rifle hosts? Or do you move some of your cans from host to host?

I ask because I just my 2nd Scar 17 and I have a Sandman S in jail right now. I can't afford another at the moment, but I like the idea of a can for each rifle.

What do you guys do?
View Quote

My $0.02--  for my tactical / "black rifle" suppressors, I decided to standardize
early on.  After surveying what seemed to have the most choices available, I
went with the 51T mount system from AAC.  While there's a lot of discussion on this mount
out there (not the point of this post), I'll just say that I've been plenty satisfied with
this choice overall.

So, I'll illustrate why I like this approach...  say I'm shooting 5.56 rifle (or MG) "X"

- Want quiet?  = M4-2000 or Saker 5.56
- Want small & light? = Mini-4
- Want lower gas/back-pressure?  = SDN-6 or Saker 7.62

When I started out in NFA stuff (# rifles >> # suppressors), the point of "plug & play" like this was to
have the ability to shoot most things I owned suppressed, with minimal fuss in
the field (range).  Now, although I have enough suppressors to dedicate one to just about every
rifle I shoot frequently, it's still convenient to pick the combo I want for any given day.

Also, as implied in another post, you may not want to tie down a suppressor on a rifle you just don't
shoot that much; in my case, this would include my P90 SBR... as it stands, I can just throw the
Mini-4 on it when I want to take it out.

One thing I have not done yet, is dedicate a direct-thread suppressor to a tactical rifle (cut out
the weight of the mount).   but I've just purchased an Omega, and I might try this down the
road (*could also do this with the Saker).

YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:23:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What do you guys do?
View Quote

I've got a 762 and a 556 that both take the same mount (they're different cerakote colors so I dont mess them up).. I can either suppress two of my AR15s or one each AR15/308
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:32:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I can run 1 can per host, but I didnt set out to be that way. I try to make it so I can use 1 can on at LEAST 2 rifles. I liked the Saker for that spect. I can run it on my AAC 51T, my YHMs or my Trifectas. So I have a Saker 762, and Saker 556 K that I can run on 6 different guns. And then I can also run my YHM Phantom 556 SS on 2 of those, my AAC 762-SD on 2 of those. So 6 guns I can run 4 different combinations of suppressors.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:17:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

I'd start by having at least one can per platform first (i.e. rifle, pistol, rimfire, etc.). Then whatever platform I shoot the most, I'd maybe look at dedicated. Of course I want all-the-things for all-the-guns, but the law of economics (read: paychecks) means I have to prioritize, and adding more firearms that work with my existing cans brings me more satisfaction at the moment.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#16]
all good responses.

whatever you do, do it before the first of July (to give yourself plenty of time to be in the system by 7/13)
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
all good responses.

whatever you do, do it before the first of July (to give yourself plenty of time to be in the system by 7/13)
View Quote

It just has to be postmarked by the cutoff. No need to rush.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I have dedicated cans for most of my firearms. I don't have cans for CCW pistols or my SLR-107.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:47:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I have an osprey 45acp for a Glock 17, Glock 34, and two 1911's.

Huntertown Guardian XL and Deadair Mask for a Ruger LTE and Savage rifle.

Silencerco Omega and a AAC-SD for a Mossberg MVP in 556, Mossberg MVP in 308, Adams Arms AR15, and a 300blk AR pistol.

Have more, but not all of them have threaded barrels.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:37:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
all good responses.

I was under the impression that it had to be PENDING with the ATF by the cutoff. (which means check cashed)
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:55:27 AM EDT
[#21]
If you have one can per rifle you should get the cheapest cans possible because what's the chance you'll wear it out? No need for stellite or inconel then.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:02:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you have one can per rifle you should get the cheapest cans possible because what's the chance you'll wear it out? No need for stellite or inconel then.
View Quote

while its entirely up to the owner, there is no good reason to buy the cheapest piece of shit.  It might be different if cans were available over the counter at the hardware store.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:03:43 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I was under the impression that it had to be PENDING with the ATF by the cutoff. (which means check cashed)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

all good responses.

You can search 41F for the responses in context, but here they are:

"Applications postmarked prior to the implementation of the final rule will be processed under the current regulations. Only those applications postmarked on or after the implementation of the final rule will be subject to the new regulations."

"With regard to the comment regarding applications that have a "pending" status when the rule is implemented, all applications postmarked prior to the effective date of the rule will be processed under the current regulations."
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:51:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I have two ARs and one 556 can in jail. One of the rifles has a 14.5" barrel w/ permanent A2X muzzle device, and I'm considering having it cut off, and a QD suppressor mount pinned/welded on. The problem with this idea is that having ADCO do the work will cost as much as an SBR stamp.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:14:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The problem with this idea is that having ADCO do the work will cost as much as an SBR stamp.
View Quote

Bingo
Sell the upper, tax stamp, 11.5" barrel
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#26]
trek is on dedicated 11.5" AR, and a griffin sportsmen on the way to share on 18" 308 and 556 rifles. I can only shoot one at a time and I need more money for ammo.
Top Top