Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2015 2:09:33 AM EDT
Looks like SilencerCo just launched a new site to my knowledge and the K cans are now listed.

Octane K 45 Spec Sheet

Osprey K 45 Spec Sheet

ETA: Video

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:13:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Hopefully with the release of the K version someone will have a killer deal on the  reg Fullsize octane 45.  I'm in the market for another one and the K version just doesn't do it for me
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:16:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow, loud numbers.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:39:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Not really seeing the big benefit going to a K can on these. Just my opinion. On the Osprey 9mm you lose 10db going to the K can. 132db on the standard Octane .45 and 139.8db on the Octane .45 K. No thanks. I'm a huge Silencerco fan, but the Osprey and Octane K cans just don't appeal to me. I'm happy with my standard Octanes.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:54:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow, not that impressive coming from SiCo. I was hoping for the Octane K to at least compete with the Griffin REV series, but I guess I'll be going that route for my next 9mm can.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:04:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Woulda considered an Osprey 9mm k, I'll pass on a 45k.  Octane K looks like a complet disappointment, as much as I like SiCo, Griffin Revolution seems to be the new king of versatility.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:23:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I want a an Octane in .45, I have the 9MM. I also have two Ospreys, one in 9 the other in .45.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:23:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, by their own numbers, for the Osprey, you gain 8 dB from the 9mm to the K, and it's only a half inch shorter.

For a short can, check out the AAC Ti-rant 9s.  It's only 5 inches long.  I have one and have used it on a Glock 19 and HK USP.  Does a great job on both.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:43:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Also interesting to see that the Osprey 45 with 9mm meters at 125.2 dB while the Osprey 9 meters at 127.0 dB.

Yeah, the "K" models are probably not for me. The only shorty that  somewhat interests me right now is the Ti-Rant 9s.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:15:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't understand the complaints, these are quieter than the short Ti-rants, no?

I don't shoot .45, yet these still seem compelling for 9mm hosts.  I bet 9mm K versions would be killer.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:52:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't understand the complaints, these are quieter than the short Ti-rants, no?

I don't shoot .45, yet these still seem compelling for 9mm hosts.  I bet 9mm K versions would be killer.
View Quote

I think they are comparable on the 9. AAC gives dB reduction while Silencerco gives absolute dB numbers.

In the industry comparison video done by SWR,

the unsuppressed baseline is 159.31 dB
The Octane 9 meters at 126.83 dB = 32.48 dB reduction
The TiRant 9 meters at 125.85 dB = 33.46 dB reduction

AAC's specs say 35 to 38 dB for the Ti-Rant 9, so the numbers are in the ballpark.

The 9s does 22 dB dry which would put it at around 137-138 dB

The Octane 45K does ~136 dB but the length of the can is 6.85 inches

The 9s is 5.07" which makes it a more compelling short 9mm can.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:53:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I think the issue is that the Tirant 9s is 5 inches, and this K model is 6.5 inches, so quite a bit longer, and with the Osprey, larger from the rectangular size.

The numbers AAC lists forthe 9s on their web site are not impressive - 19 dB I think.  I bought one during the Great Panic of 2013, not expecting that much, but it's really quiet.  I put a dollop of wire pulling gel in it, and it's quiet.  WIth plugs in, as my range requires, all you really hear is the sound of the plate being knocked down.  In comparison, a .380 is loud to fire with only plugs due to a close concrete wall.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:16:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The 9s does 22 dB dry which would put it at around 137-138 dB

The Octane 45K does ~136 dB but the length of the can is 6.85 inches

The 9s is 5.07" which makes it a more compelling short 9mm can.
View Quote

I see.  I was going by the SS vid on the 9s, which had it around 141-142.

Didn't really appreciate the length difference.  

Still, comparing 45K cans to the 9s isn't really apples to apples.  Hope to see an Octane 9K one day.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:39:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Still, comparing 45K cans to the 9s isn't really apples to apples.  Hope to see an Octane 9K one day.
View Quote

You and me both - I still like the CTA design and would like to maintain piston compatibility.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I would like to see an upgrade to the octane that uses the salvo design for the CTA that way you can pick the length / sound reduction. It would be nice if the aft just let them swap out the baffle stack on the darn thing so you could have a CTA 9mm stack and a .45 stack that you could choose how long you want it and what host its specific for. But thats never going to happen.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Why all the comparisons to the 9s?
Wouldn't the 45s be the one we should be comparing?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:19:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I would like to see an upgrade to the octane that uses the salvo design for the CTA that way you can pick the length / sound reduction. It would be nice if the aft just let them swap out the baffle stack on the darn thing so you could have a CTA 9mm stack and a .45 stack that you could choose how long you want it and what host its specific for. But thats never going to happen.
View Quote

That would be AWESOME.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Why all the comparisons to the 9s?
Wouldn't the 45s be the one we should be comparing?
View Quote

For me, it's because I have a lot more compact 9mm handguns than I have compact 45 handguns - and a compact handgun just begs for a compact can.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:20:04 PM EDT
[#18]
With AAC perhaps going bye-bye, I put the brakes on a 9-s and other options...the 45k does look interesting.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
With AAC perhaps going bye-bye.
View Quote

Care to share your source?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:39:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
With AAC perhaps going bye-bye, I put the brakes on a 9-s and other options...the 45k does look interesting.
View Quote

What makes you think AAC is going away?  They just introduced a new product.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some article I read.  who knows if it's true though

ETA: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/12/foghorn/john-hollister-derek-smith-quit-aac/
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

ETA: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/12/foghorn/john-hollister-derek-smith-quit-aac/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought they just laid people off who didn't want to move.
AAC is too valuable of a brand to FG
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Let's not clutter this thread with unsubstantiated AAC BS.  It's been discussed in other threads and it's not happening.

I think if you compare the K specs to the full size .45 specs, what you get in the smaller package is pretty compelling.

If they can do the same in 9mm versions down the road, I'm in for an Octane 9 K.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Let's not clutter this thread with unsubstantiated AAC BS.  It's been discussed in other threads and it's not happening.

I think if you compare the K specs to the full size .45 specs, what you get in the smaller package is pretty compelling.

If they can do the same in 9mm versions down the road, I'm in for an Octane 9 K.
View Quote

I agree. Loud is relative and can be acceptable if you know what you're getting in to.

I bought a Ti-rant 9mm and a Thompson Machine Micro 9mm (4.25") within a week of each other.
This was after evaluating a osprey .45 (same length as a ti-rant 9mm) on multiple hosts.

I don't care to chase decibels with centerfire cans so I'm okay with a 4.25" suppressor (more like a moderator) on hosts like a G26, kahr 9mm, smaller CZs.

I'm excited in the options for shorter, louder, cans. It's not like companies are discontinuing their longer, quieter cans. This is only good news. May not be as quiet as you want but it's steps in the right direction.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:57:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I have an octane 45 (well approved at least waiting on the mail) and I would jump on an octane 9-k but I think a 45k gives up too much internal volume on a 45 for what you would gain (lose) in length

Mike
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#26]
remember it wasn't that long ago that people told you it wasn't worth suppressing any 45 because it was too loud.  The last generation of cans changed that...  however, there are limitations to everything and going short gets you knocking on the 140 threshold when shooting .45.

For saving less than 1.5 inches, doesn't seem worth it...   maybe a K version of the 9mm cans will make more sense.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:04:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
remember it wasn't that long ago that people told you it wasn't worth suppressing any 45 because it was too loud.  The last generation of cans changed that...  however, there are limitations to everything and going short gets you knocking on the 140 threshold when shooting .45.

For saving less than 1.5 inches, doesn't seem worth it...   maybe a K version of the 9mm cans will make more sense.
View Quote

Actually....

Osprey savings (45 to K):  1.65" and 3.1oz
Octane savings (45 to K):  1.65" and 2.7oz
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:39:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Actually....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually....

You're right, but semantics. The 3.1oz seems much more significant to me
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:09:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually....

Was going to post the same thing. I would think I'd notice the weight before the .15".  Then again...is 3oz perceptible?

Either way, good to have (more) options.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#30]
nevermind
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:31:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Was going to post the same thing. I would think I'd notice the weight before the .15".  Then again...is 3oz perceptible?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually....

Absolutely, in a pistol can.  Moreso in a rimfire can, less in a rifle can.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:36:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually....

good point, thx. I have much less time behind pistol cans than rifle ones, and I can see your point.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:02:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Wow, not that impressive coming from SiCo. I was hoping for the Octane K to at least compete with the Griffin REV series, but I guess I'll be going that route for my next 9mm can.
View Quote

Pretty much this
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:07:58 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Pretty much this
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty much this

Sounds like they built them to compete for a military contract. Probably why they are not modular. Either way Silencerco puts out products fast. In a one year period they released the Saker 7.62, Harverster, Harvester Big Bore, Salvo 12, a new line of barrels and a line of ammunition. I have no doubt we will see a modular can soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top