Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2014 12:25:35 PM EDT
Howdy ya'll...

Taking a wait-and-see attitude on my Specwar/Spectre II purchase through SS...

I suspect I may see them some time next summer.

In the meantime, I'll likely SBR an AR and start collecting ammo...

Whatcha using for subsonic?

How's about hog hunting ammo?

Cheap is good, of course; and I'll eventually pick up some dies to reload my own.

Thanks bunches!

p
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:35:30 PM EDT
[#1]
It was my experience that the cheap Remington 220 grain SMK ammo had awful accuracy.   My 220 grain SMK reloads w/ A1680 were far better, so maybe it was just a QA issue at Remington.   After I spent an evening making brass, I decided I would just stick with home-rolled ammo.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:36:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Gemtech 187gr subs are a good quiet plinking round, I've won a couple CQ matches with them.
Rem 220gr HPBT groups a lot better, and is more consistent.  There are two "220gr subsonic" loads, but I forget which one is which.
110gr Barnes VorTx is about the best hunting load for the .300.  Remington also has a 130gr "hog hammer" version of the TSX load but it doesn't expand well at lower velocities from short barrels.

Personally, I probably won't hunt with subs, so I'll go with the TSX stuff, but Lehigh Defense makes an expanding subsonic round, and Outlaw State makes some soft point expanding heavy bullets.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:43:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:26:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I roll my own.  I've tried the gemtech 187.  they are ok.  Won't hold a candle to self loads though. Good for wasting ammo.     I hunt with the barnes tac-tx 110 grain black tips.  I have seen these recently at cabelas and academy.

Here's some 220 grain SMK subs with A1680.    These are out of a DD 10.3 300 SBR upper.  Each photo is 5 rounds.

Speeds:  1013,1030,1013,997,1008

and some 110 grains black tips with H110.  one flyer out of the 5 where I flinched.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I use the Rem/220s for subsonic work, but am disappointed in its ability to hold a tight group.

I use the Barnes 110 TSX for varmint duty.

Have not tried anything else. Think I will order some Gemtech and revisit the subsonic rounds.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gemtech's 300BLK ammo is a 187gn subsonic round, and shoots about 1 MOA (1/7 twist, either 9" or 16"). I haven't found another subsonic load that shoots an inch, from our rifles yet
Loaded at 1050fps from a 16” barrel.
Free Shipping right now

Joey
View Quote

At 100yd, the Gemtech grouped a little looser from my 8" gun with YHM Ti QD can compared to the better of the two Rem 220 loads.

Not terrible, around 2", but my gun seems to like the heavier 220's better.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#7]
PNW ballistic tips kill hogs, I know that. I have a ton of barnes 110gr lying around but haven't shot anything with it yet.

Use PNW 147gr for plinking, and PNW 220's for subsonic plinking.

The remington 220gr UMC, I think it is flat base. Don't buy that. I have a case, opened it and no two bullets are the same. All are at different lengths, none of the OTM openings are even near the same, some bullets sunk into case. I haven't shot it because I am honestly afraid to based on how they are loaded.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The remington 220gr UMC, I think it is flat base. Don't buy that. I have a case, opened it and no two bullets are the same. All are at different lengths, none of the OTM openings are even near the same, some bullets sunk into case. I haven't shot it because I am honestly afraid to based on how they are loaded.
View Quote

There are two different Rem 220 loads.  Not sure of the external differences, but one is flat base and one is boat tail.  The difference can be found in the actual product number, mine were R300AAC8 and were fairly consistent, I'll see if I can dig up the other one..
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There are two different Rem 220 loads.  Not sure of the external differences, but one is flat base and one is boat tail.  The difference can be found in the actual part number, mine were HPBT, I'll see if I can dig it up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are two different Rem 220 loads.  Not sure of the external differences, but one is flat base and one is boat tail.  The difference can be found in the actual part number, mine were HPBT, I'll see if I can dig it up.

Mine were flat base. Photo is top view of 3 random rounds from first box. Also each of these was set into the brass at a drastically different level, some were pushing out the brass noticeably. Don't have a photo of that part though. Edit: primers were also a wide variety of colors, I don't reload, but would it be strange for a commercial manufacturer to use 3-4 different primers in one 20 round box?

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Hog hunting subsonics I use Lehigh Defense 174gr controlled fracture or 194gr maximun expansion-you'll pay close to $3 a round (factory loaded) but it will drop hogs dead right there.

For hogs supersonic I use Barnes 110gr Vor-Tx black tips, or 125gr Nosler ballistic tips
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:01:48 AM EDT
[#11]
For subs, I have liked the PNW 220's best so far, need to try the Gemtech 187's.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:53:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Out of the subs I have tried: Remington, Gemtech, Ozark, the Remingtons have been  the quietest.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:15:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For subs, I have liked the PNW 220's best so far, need to try the Gemtech 187's.

View Quote

Me too.

Gemtechs are OK for plinking. Out the commercial subs out there, PNW is the king. Best groups and very clean. The brass is also great for reloading. Gemtech brass is pretty good too.

I had good luck with early Rem, but new flat based stuff is very inconsistent. I did buy a bunch because it was the cheapest.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:21:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks all!

I've noticed the price per round varies considerably (via wikiarms), from +/- .60/rnd to over $2.00...

Gemtech 187's appear to be the cheapest subs, followed by PNW...

Both show at CTD, and I'm not too interested in buying from them.

Where are ya'll shopping?

p
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks all!

I've noticed the price per round varies considerably (via wikiarms), from +/- .60/rnd to over $2.00...

p
View Quote

If don't mind the blems they are cheaper directly from Gemtech because shipping is free.  DSG Arms had them for $18.49 a box last week.

I bought Summit 220 for $15.00 a box, I think that is cheapest.  Liberty uses those in house and says they are gtg.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:16:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If don't mind the blems they are cheaper directly from Gemtech because shipping is free.  DSG Arms had them for $18.49 a box last week.

I bought Summit 220 for $15.00 a box, I think that is cheapest.  Liberty uses those in house and says they are gtg.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks all!

p

One thing about ordering direct from Gemtech, you have to be there to sign in person.
I understand why they do that, but it doesn't work well for me, living alone and with my work hours.
AIM takes a fax or email of my photo ID and leaves it on the porch.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#18]
gemtech 220
remington 220
pnw 220

all function well in my 10.5" 300 black out, all group very well at 50 yards.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I've bought a few boxes of Rem and Hornady stuff (zombie ammo - just because I could), but the last factory ammo I've shot through my guns was some $2 per round CorBon .300 Whisper, back when you were lucky to find any at all.  Long before it was rebranded as 300BLK.  

Otherwise, all my ammo comes from Dillon and RCBS, depending on which load I'm playing with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top