Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2013 9:59:41 AM EDT
I tried asking in the reloading forum, under the 300 Black out master thread, but no bites. My question is has any one tried shooting powder coated bullets through a can? I am asking the question because guys powder coating bullets in the Reloading Forum and over at Cast Boolits are getting rifle velocities with no leading. My thoughts are no leading (or traces of leading) in the barrel would mean the same result through a can. I am Ideally looking to try this with 220-245 grain boolits for my 300 Blackout. If it is safe to shoot powder cast bulets through a can my cost per round just dropped 75-80%. Has anyone tried this?

I have a hopefully soon to be available for take home AAC 762SD, which is sealed so I am hesitant to try it with a brand new can (that is not user serviceable).

Thanks,
Lamale
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 10:26:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been shooting gas checked 190's and 210's through mine with no signs of lead build up.  I would bet if you even cast to 18bhn or similar you wouldn't even have issues with straight lead. Those projectiles are no where near as soft as 22lr, which obviously leaves plenty behind in a suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah .22 lead... I put about 500 rounds through my mite in one sitting and had to scrape the lead out. I have shot about 100-120 rounds of subsonic 300 Blk cast from air cooled wheel weights and had no lead in the barrel, but 30 cal can is still waiting to be brought home.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#3]
This is very relevant to me

IN truth this is the deciding factor if I want to take the 300blk plunge. The subsonic ammo cost has always been teh deal breaker to me on this caliber

If shooting PC cast boolits is fine in a sealed can I may just have to get a 300 barrel after all
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I am in the process of moving now, but in a couple weeks I will hopefully be done moving. I am hoping to get set up to powder coat about that time as well. Does anyone have a user serviceable can that would be willing to trade some free powder coated boolits to test for leading in their can and then share their results with pictures, comments, ect?
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

IN truth this is the deciding factor if I want to take the 300blk plunge. The subsonic ammo cost has always been teh deal breaker to me on this caliber

If shooting PC cast boolits is fine in a sealed can I may just have to get a 300 barrel after all

I have a partial 100 ct. box of 220 grn SMK OTM.  Loaded 20 of them as subs and they were unbelievably quiet. BUT - given the cost and lack of availability, I am reluctant to shoot the rest.

Affordable, coated, cast 220s or 240 that do not lead-up the sealed 30 can?  - that could change everything.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am in the process of moving now, but in a couple weeks I will hopefully be done moving. I am hoping to get set up to powder coat about that time as well. Does anyone have a user serviceable can that would be willing to trade some free powder coated boolits to test for leading in their can and then share their results with pictures, comments, ect?

I can if you can do some,  9mm. I have some 124 gr. Bare lead bullets already I can compare with.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Toxie I do not have any 9mm molds. I do have a 105 grain truncated cone and a 158 grain semi-wadcutter if you have a the proper bullet sizing die for your 9mm. It will probably be a few weeks, I am hoping to close on my first house early next week so my bench is about 80% in boxes.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 8:26:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a partial 100 ct. box of 220 grn SMK OTM.  Loaded 20 of them as subs and they were unbelievably quiet. BUT - given the cost and lack of availability, I am reluctant to shoot the rest.

Affordable, coated, cast 220s or 240 that do not lead-up the sealed 30 can?  - that could change everything.

That is why I built a 9mm upper, I figured it is cheaper in the long run to shoot 9mm and buy a 45 or 9mm can too
instead of buying $1 a pop rounds or .43 bullets to reload
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:07:11 AM EDT
[#9]
If I get set up to powder coat, and they turn out to work well and not lead my can I am looking at about $0.115 -$0.12 per loaded round (300 BLK, ~230 grain bullet with H110) it will be cheaper a bit if I can get an 8# keg or two of H110 when my 1#s run out.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Toxie I do not have any 9mm molds. I do have a 105 grain truncated cone and a 158 grain semi-wadcutter if you have a the proper bullet sizing die for your 9mm. It will probably be a few weeks, I am hoping to close on my first house early next week so my bench is about 80% in boxes.

I dont currently cast myself yet, I use bought cast bullets, sorry man.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 9:11:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top