Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2010 1:08:56 PM EDT
looking to get one of these, all 3 would have to be ordered by my dealer..the warlock and sparrow are in stock at said compaines, the spectre is a couple weeks out until swr can ship...

looking just to use on ruger 10/22 and a sig mos or p22..dont need full auto or multiple calibers...looking for the quietest 22 can..

i know the spectre can be taken apart as can the sparrow..

prices would be spectre 495, warlock 395, sparrow 450..

what can you all tell me.

thanks
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 1:32:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 1:47:05 PM EDT
[#2]
for what reasons?  take apart is nice..but not a deal breaker..looking for quietest i can get for the price
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Warlock is sealed, so no go.  Spectre is as heavy as some centerfire pistol silencers. Almost 9oz which is 4 oz heavier than the 5oz Gemtech .45 can.  The only advantage the Spectre has over the Sparrow is that you can drop it in a caustic solution to clean it thanks to the s.s. with less worries.  Other than that the 4 1/2oz Sparrow can be shot over 1,000 times before cleaning, while the Spectre requires a few hundred I gather with radial friction to shove out the snug baffles.  The db reduction is very similar to my ear on both.  The Spectre is a well built tank, but overkill IMO for a .22 rimfire pistol.  Its over double the weight of my 4oz TacSol Buckmark barrel.  You cant go wrong with either, but its nice to have a light can thats super easy to clean.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 2:55:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 3:04:51 PM EDT
[#5]
You can't go wrong with either the Spectre or 22Sparrow.  I highly recommend the take-apart option as my 22Sparrow increased it's weight by close to 25% after 1500 rounds.  Still came apart by hand.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 3:11:56 PM EDT
[#6]
1,000 rounds shot through the spectre I'd think would be a dilly of a problem without cleaning.  Given the SWR Spectre manual suggests cleaning it every 300 rounds.  Also, another con of the spectre was it didnt meter well on rifles compared to other silencers. It was a top performer on pistols, but there again, do you want a heavy pistol can hanging off your host?
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 3:16:16 PM EDT
[#7]
like i said i am open to a sealed can...how does the warlock compare
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#8]
no, you wont be happy with a sealed can.  stop listening to the salesman.  ask anyone who buys one and the vast majority regret their purchase and soon buy a serviceable can. The others just accept it or dont tell the truth.   Maybe I'm wrong and you want a can that has a expiration. To answer your question, yes, its a quiet can but no quieter than the previous mentioned. Pay the extra $50-100 and get any unit you can take apart and clean. Theres no silencer that needs cleaning more like the filthy .22 rimfire.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 4:01:15 PM EDT
[#9]
ok..so then sparrow vs spectre..sparrow can ship asap sprectre out 3-4 weeks and is 50 bucks more
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 4:09:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like if you go with the sparrow you can be shooting it this summer.  If the spectre is a month out then you might have it ready for the hunting season providing your state allows it for hunting. Either way its a  wait. I've never done a form 3 due to my impatience. I'd go with what you can get the earliest being both are winners. I'd go sparrow given your situation and I can say you wont regret it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 4:41:27 PM EDT
[#11]
which is quieter?

howmany rounds can i get thru a sealed can
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 4:56:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd say go for the Warlock. Nothing beats a sealed can in quiet. So my dealers told me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 5:28:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'd say go for the Warlock. Nothing beats a sealed can in quiet. So my dealers told me.

Really?

Warlock is a nice product though.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#14]
no, this guy doesnt know what he wants and isnt listening. Sometimes some people are destine to go through the process of buying something they'll later regret before they realize what they really should have gotten. Let nature take its course.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 5:39:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I recently researched a .22 suppressor as well.  I don’t have personal experience with each one so take this for what it cost you.    When I observed the amount of lead that came out of a can after 500 rounds I decided I did not want a sealed .22 can.  I know plenty of people are happy with their sealed cans, but they are not for me.  I will be running mine full auto so I don’t want to take a chance on needing to buy another can in a couple years.

I would recommend getting the premium membership to http://www.silencerresearch.com.  They compared all three cans (among others) and collected a fair amount of data on each.  I will tell you that the 22Sparrow metered better of the three from a 10/22 but was not the top performer on the P22 (get a membership to see the details and the exact db differences between them).  Also, quietness of a can is somewhat subjective and is in the ear of the beholder.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Thats another good point in why I didnt choose the AAC Element or SWR Spectre being they both excelled on the turd of a host the Walther P-22 in tests.  It just made no sense for me to buy a $450-600 silencer that performed its best on a $250 plastic breakable turd, IMO.  I like to look at what does better on quality pistols like the Ruger MK11, Browning Buckmark and rifles, not 3.5" barrel plinkers.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#17]
now im real confused..im going to pay the 30 bucks to read all the reviews over there...still like input though
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
now im real confused..im going to pay the 30 bucks to read all the reviews over there...still like input though

Please, go to your dealer and listen to each unit.  Then decide based on price, flexibility, durability, ease of maintenance, and what you hear which unit to purchase.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#19]
i have no way of listening to them at my dealer..plus they only stock aac and gemtech

they do not have any to try out
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:45:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The Spectre is alrated for 22 mag, 17 hmr, and 5.7.  

SilencerCo sparrow is also rated for those, and full auto.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:40:35 AM EDT
[#21]
I have both the Spectre and 22Sparrow. I do use them on my M16 and H&K full auto with 22 kits installed. I also use them on my Mk II and P22. They are both good cans. If I was only going to get one, I would get the 22Sparrow. They both sound good and it's 50 dollars less. If you wanted heavy full auto use I would say the Spectre, but you don't.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:40:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Warlock is sealed, so no go.  Spectre is as heavy as some centerfire pistol silencers. Almost 9oz which is 4 oz heavier than the 5oz Gemtech .45 can.  The only advantage the Spectre has over the Sparrow is that you can drop it in a caustic solution to clean it thanks to the s.s. with less worries.  Other than that the 4 1/2oz Sparrow can be shot over 1,000 times before cleaning, while the Spectre requires a few hundred I gather with radial friction to shove out the snug baffles.  The db reduction is very similar to my ear on both.  The Spectre is a well built tank, but overkill IMO for a .22 rimfire pistol.  Its over double the weight of my 4oz TacSol Buckmark barrel.  You cant go wrong with either, but its nice to have a light can thats super easy to clean.

The Spectre is alrated for 22 mag, 17 hmr, and 5.7.  

I don't know what people are talking about getting the baffles out I can push the baffles out with my finger after 1000 rounds.  I am actually trying to fill one up now with full auto 22.

Either way, the new Spectres come WITH the pusher tool so it really isn't a big deal either way.

atlatl is once again wrong as frack.  I see you don't just troll AGAINT AAC, you also troll FOR SilencerCo... it is good to see you branching out.  Nothing like taking a favorite and finding a reason that it is better than anything else out there, eh?   Defend you decision, even if you don't know shit about suppressors.  Well done.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:12:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
no, you wont be happy with a sealed can.  stop listening to the salesman.  ask anyone who buys one and the vast majority regret their purchase and soon buy a serviceable can. The others just accept it or dont tell the truth.   Maybe I'm wrong and you want a can that has a expiration. To answer your question, yes, its a quiet can but no quieter than the previous mentioned. Pay the extra $50-100 and get any unit you can take apart and clean. Theres no silencer that needs cleaning more like the filthy .22 rimfire.

Quoted:
I'd say go for the Warlock. Nothing beats a sealed can in quiet

Same thread.  Nothing has changed about the OP's criteria.  You sure seem to like to hear yourself talk, so much that you'll contradict yourself in the same thread just so that you can "spout out your knowledge".

Do you even possess a suppressor?  How many years of experience with the various sealed and serviceable cans do you have?  Be careful, as we already know the answer to this from your other 584738293 threads you started to bash AAC and make silencerco look good (by the way, silencerco is an excellent company with great product).

Kent
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:00:08 AM EDT
[#24]
I agree partially with Kent.

IMHO atlatl is just someone who RECENTLY got into this silencer game and read probably a ton more info than he thought was out there.  When people go from knowing nothing to knowing quite a bit, they tend to think they know it all and like anyone else, once you go with a company because you think you made the right choice, you tend to lobby for them for a little while after.

I'd suggest not mentioning SilencerCo anymore atlatl.  There's no reason for it.  The SWR cans are awesome and if that's where the OP is looking, let him look.  You're gonna get dogpiled like everyone else who wants to throw another name out there when it's not what the OP asked for.  

Just let it be and be happy with your new SilencerCo can.  You're only gonna hurt your new favorite company if you keep this up.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#25]
your right, I came off a bit too enthusiastic,  but I have to say in every category I see no benefit in the spectre over the sparrow besides "the 50/50 caustic dip"  As for the post about "go for the sealed warlock" I was using sarcasim being the OP didnt catch the drift that he'd regret a sealed unit.  I apologize for being too excited over SilencerCo.  I admit if I were in need of one more .22 can I'd probably get the brick sh*thouse Spectre just for the sake of having something different.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:10:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I have the sparrow on order. Host guns will be 10/22, P22, and a Savage Cub T.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#27]
I own two out of the three... I will not own a sealed can for 22 for they do fill up in time. I will say outright that I like them both. The FRP is a bit louder on the Sparrow, but then it sounds the same as the Spectre to my ear after that. Remember, not everyone's hearing is the same, so take that with a grain of salt. Other experience may vary I'm sure. The Sparrow is lighter and easier to take apart to clean. Both see HEAVY use on MG's as well as bolt action rifles and semi-auto pistols I own. I do tend to use the Sparrow a bit more though because it comes apart easy.

There now, at least you have heard from someone who actually OWNS two of your choices. I can say that you will be very pleased with either one, and both companies make excellent products which they stand behind.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top