Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2008 10:10:11 AM EDT
Mark Larue made a comment about my can being SCARmored twice saying it should be called SCARed.  The thread was locked and I was unable to reply.  Just thought I should address it.

My suppressor suffered a baffle strike from a bad round of what was believed to be Monarch 55 grain FMJ that came apart/yawed less than 1" out of the bore at a shoot when I let someone else shoot my rifle.  The bullet bounced off the balst baffle,smashed every baffle, and was captured by the end cap, denting it.  The ONLY salvagable part was the outter tube which was in pristine condition.  The bullet never exited the silencer.  My baffles, the end cap, silencer mount section, and the flash hider mount were all damaged.  I was horrified.

AAC repaired the silencer for free after they heard about my unfortunate luck and a new SCARmor finish was applied after the repair.  Thats why it was SCARmored twice, not because of any defect in the finish.  Previous to this I had melted some bedliner on the first finish (was new to how hot 5.56 silencers get after just a mag or two) and the only thing I could use to remove the melted on gunk was a green abrassive scouring pad as no solvent would touch the bedliner.  I removed the gunk and it did not remove my SCARmor.  It is very tough stuff.  It did appear to polish it and make it slightly lighter in color.  The new SCARmor is a darker grey, almost black compared to the old finish even before I scoured it.  I will not be melting anything onto it.

I also use and reccomend LaRue products.  I have putting off a warranty repair with them because I hate being without my optic and its just a locking lever issue which is unimportant to funtion.  I just hope Larue has faster service than AAC.  AAC, while very generous in their repair, took months to complete the repair.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:47:05 AM EDT
[#1]
good info, thanks for posting that.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I just hope Larue has faster service than AAC.  AAC, while very generous in their repair, took months to complete the repair.

A dealer buddy of mine had a pair of the miscolored M4-2000's, and AAC refinished both without charge or complaint, but yeah, it took a couple months for a refinish job. They have a schedule for their production and I guess they just throw the "repairs" in with that next production, so no expediting. Not a good or bad thing really, just there.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:02:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow your having better luck with AAC than I am
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#5]
do u have any pics of your can before and/or after the repair and finish re-application?  I received my m4-2000 from my dealer with a number of small scratches on the finish before i ever shot it.  I contacted AAC and was offered a free re-finish but decided to hold off and shoot the can a bit first.  Just curious if your finish is darker than mine after reapplication.  Mine also turns a light chalky grey color after shooting it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#6]
it's a tool. it has small scratches. so what?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a first generation AAC Ranger and the finish started to burn off right at the blast baffle after about 600 rounds.  Thought about having it refinished for about five minutes, but to be quite honest I could care less as it is a tool, not a safe queen.

MadDog

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Mark will take care of you DevL,
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:05:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm still waiting on the Masada, just as everyone else is.  Why is that?  Because Magpul has the integrity to "get it right the first time" and not just give us kids something to finger %&#$ to get our rocks off to and then later on worry about the "details"
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:06:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Funny you should say that becasue MAGPUL isn't doing the MAsada . . . Bushmaster is  . . . .  so I guess you aren't waiting on the Masada anymore are you?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:54:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm still waiting on the Masada, just as everyone else is.  Why is that?  Because Magpul has the integrity to "get it right the first time" and not just give us kids something to finger %&#$ to get our rocks off to and then later on worry about the "details"

PMAGS were recalled TWICE in the first 6 months. Masada has already slipped twice now on delivery dates. I hope they do get the MASADA "right the first time", but they have lost the benefit of the doubt. besides, it is not Magpul Masada, it is Bushmaster ACR.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
do u have any pics of your can before and/or after the repair and finish re-application?  I received my m4-2000 from my dealer with a number of small scratches on the finish before i ever shot it.  I contacted AAC and was offered a free re-finish but decided to hold off and shoot the can a bit first.  Just curious if your finish is darker than mine after reapplication.  Mine also turns a light chalky grey color after shooting it.

I dont have any before pics that show the difference in the color of the can vs after.  I only have a couple pics of the after and the reflected sunlight does not really show how dark it is. There was a slight differece in color between the rifle that is Gun Coated black and the silencer... now it is almost perfectly matched.  Mine gets chalky after it gets hot too.  I just wipe off the exterior with my cleaning rag after I clean my rifle and the tiny amount of CLP left over in the rag redarkens it.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:16:30 PM EDT
[#13]
You guys didn't hear Rich state that HE and MAGPUL are making changes to the ACR constantly which is what is actually pushing it back?  Hmmm, must not get out much.  

Magpul didn't knowingly send out a bad product with the Pmags.  Sometimes new products need tweaking.  The finish on the cans from AAC isn't new.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You guys didn't hear Rich state that HE and MAGPUL are making changes to the ACR constantly which is what is actually pushing it back?  Hmmm, must not get out much.

ACR slips to Q109
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:28:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Why is Magpul's name even being brought up in an AAC thread??  WTF?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:55:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm just glad the usual suspects have not tried to hijack the thread.  

No shit.  The Usual suspects are al here . . .  well almost.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:41:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only reason I clicked on it was to see how close it was to being locked
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who's missing?

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:56:06 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Who's missing?

Mark?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:16:58 AM EDT
[#21]
LOL.  Sorry guys.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top