Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2008 12:00:27 AM EDT
is there any way to get a .223 sub sonic? I would prefere if the gun still cycled on its own too :P
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 2:42:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a Ciener or Olympic Arms .22LR adapter.

Shoot Aguila 60 gr. SSS

It's the same thing downrange as subsonic .223, except it cycles your gun.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 3:37:07 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Shoot Aguila 60 gr. SSS

Dang you and your logic!
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 2:09:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Shoot Aguila 60 gr. SSS

Hmmmmmm.... Now I just need my can to finally come in

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:37:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Shoot Aguila 60 gr. SSS

Damn, I'll have to try that.
After reading some reviews I don't know that I will try it. I could shoot it through my Ciener and 1/9 barrel but it seems like it causes a lot of carbon build up in the chamber. It also takes a 1/9 twist to stabalize it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
After reading some reviews I don't know that I will try it. I could shoot it through my Ciener and 1/9 barrel but it seems like it causes a lot of carbon build up in the chamber. It also takes a 1/9 twist to stabalize it.

Not likely.  It gives you some lead buildup at the end of the case.  If you shoot a bunch and then try to load a "traditional" .22LR it may have trouble chambering.

This is nothing new.  You get the same thing if you shoot a bunch of lead .38 spl. through a .357 mag.  

Run a bore snake or a chamber brush through the chamber adapter a few times when you are done shooting the SSS.

eta.  I just bought a M261 .22LR conversion and I still have most of a brick of SSS.  I'm going to have to see how well they shoot in a 1/9 barrel.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
is there any way to get a .223 sub sonic? I would prefere if the gun still cycled on its own too :P

The only cycling subsnic ammo I know of that is available for purchase is the Extreme Shock 100 grain and its stupid expensive The old 127 grain ammo would yaw at 25 yards with horrible accuracy.

If you dont mind it not cycling there is some good ammo like EBR, etc but its still not cheap.

If you want to shoot more than a mag for kicks you want a rimfire kit.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I shot some sub-sonic 5.56 years ago.  Expermental ammunition 130 grains of tungston.  The stuff never made the civ. market.  Price was the death of this round...the bullets were something like $8.00 each not to mention the loaded ammo.

If ypou want subsonic out of an AR plan on hand cycling the bolt, get a 22 lr conversion kit or a dedicated 22 upper.

The way I went - dedicated 22 upper and a 22 lr can.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:17:51 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are just going to suppress a 22 then shitcan the AR adapter stuff and just buy a Ruger 10/22 have the barrel threaded 1/2 24 and you can use it on your AR and your 10/22. It will be whole bunch more accurate than the AR adapter. RWS made some subsonic 22 ammon stuff as well as remington. Not sure if you can still buy it though.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:35:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If you are just going to suppress a 22 then shitcan the AR adapter stuff and just buy a Ruger 10/22 have the barrel threaded 1/2 24 and you can use it on your AR and your 10/22. It will be whole bunch more accurate than the AR adapter.

You would have to screw the can on pretty hard, and then it likely wouldn't come off again.

1/2-28 is standard threading for M16/AR15 barrels, as well as most .22 cans.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:44:00 PM EDT
[#10]
You are correct 1/2 X 28 I can't type for crap anymore. This all comes from old age and too many cigars.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top