Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/19/2007 5:15:04 AM EDT
I am looking for A can to put on my AR. i was wondering what people feel is the quietest can to use.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 6:36:22 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am looking for A can to put on my AR. i was wondering what people feel is the quietest can to use.

If it's a SPR = OPS Inc 12th Model.

If it's a non-SPR profiled AR, then OPS Inc. 16th Model.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 7:48:35 AM EDT
[#2]
OPS Inc 3rd Model is probably the quietest production .22 suppressor made.

Link Posted: 11/19/2007 8:23:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I think it most be the Surefire dummy can that is the quietest it fits the flashider and have no hole in the front ,,now that MUST be quiet ,,or maybe very loud
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 8:31:48 AM EDT
[#4]
You ask what  is the quietest can to use.
But are you asking  quietest for your ear ,or  quietest for the bystander ..or   quietest  downrange ( can the enemy hear where the shoot came from )

Edit   i dont know the ansver
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If OPS Inc. has a 3rd Model for the AR platform, I wasn't aware of it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#6]
just about any can from a quality manufacturer will be within a few dB of any of the others.

.223 cans are LOUD. Granted, they make a huge difference over unsuppressed, but if you're expecting your AR to sound like a .22, unfortunately that's not going to happen.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It requires barrel work but it will fit.

Link Posted: 11/19/2007 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#8]
The vietnam era sionics and 2-point mount silencers from Ceiner are quiet but close to 14" long.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 2:25:10 PM EDT
[#9]
With centerfire rifle cans, I think there are more important considerations than sound reduction. Any quality can will sound similar (read "much louder than Hollywood would lead you to believe") to any other quality can. Ahead of sound reduction I think are considerations of weight, materials/construction, mount, size, and price.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 3:30:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
With centerfire rifle cans, I think there are more important considerations than sound reduction. Any quality can will sound similar (read "much louder than Hollywood would lead you to believe") to any other quality can. Ahead of sound reduction I think are considerations of weight, materials/construction, mount, size, and price.

Have you heard a 3rd model next to another rifle suppressor?

Link Posted: 11/19/2007 3:34:12 PM EDT
[#11]
s109.photobucket.com/albums/n54/uzidoesit/?action=view¤t=M16_Halo1.flv

Here is me shooting a Halo with a happy switch.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 3:49:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I agree. I think it is also important to buy from companies that use designers who understand how suppressors work and how to build them. I would hold out for the product that was designed and manufactured by a professional.

Posted by rsilvers (AAC Designer)(Member # 2067) on 07-28-2006 12:17 AM:

I thought I wanted an orbital welder, but now I know I want a CNC lathe TIG welder, such as this:

http://www.weldlogic.com/products/lathes/pwl-15-36.asp

A WeldLogic system, which can position along the Y and Z axis plus rotary, is about $50,000.

It would seem to me like someone could make and sell one of these for well under $10K.

Does anyone know of lower cost options than the Weldlogic?

I need to be able to chuck up a tube and do both a circumferential weld and then some plug welds.

PracticalMachinist.com <deleted by rsilvers>

Link Posted: 11/19/2007 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#13]
This is a AAC Ranger on a 11.5 and a 16" uppers

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVJmbfKg69Y
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 6:08:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 6:24:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I heard an Ops at the AAC shoot, dunno which model it was though.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 6:47:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I heard an Ops at the AAC shoot, dunno which model it was though.

The 3rd model is very quiet, you owe it to yourself to hear one in person.

Link Posted: 11/19/2007 8:00:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
just about any can from a quality manufacturer will be within a few dB of any of the others.

.223 cans are LOUD. Granted, they make a huge difference over unsuppressed, but if you're expecting your AR to sound like a .22, unfortunately that's not going to happen.

Unless its 2 feet long ..
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 8:23:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I agree. I think it is also important to buy from companies that use designers who understand how suppressors work and how to build them. I would hold out for the product that was designed and manufactured by a professional.

I thought I wanted an orbital welder, but now I know I want a CNC lathe TIG welder, such as this:

A WeldLogic system, which can position along the Y and Z axis plus rotary, is about $50,000.

It would seem to me like someone could make and sell one of these for well under $10K.

I need to be able to chuck up a tube and do both a circumferential weld and then some plug welds.

You do realize that he was talking about it for his home shop right, not AAC? Stop trying to salt the fields.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 9:11:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 9:13:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'd check with Slivers before I went around blabbing Ol' Bert was actually making suppressors at his house in Mass.

I don't ever recall him saying anything about making suppressors there. Or is having a CNC welder the same thing as having a shoestring? Not to mention if he has his SOT he's not prohibited. I'd check your facts before trying to insinuate things, especially something felonious.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 9:26:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 12:24:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'd check with Slivers before I went around blabbing Ol' Bert was actually making suppressors at his house in Mass.

I don't ever recall him saying anything about making suppressors there. Or is having a CNC welder the same thing as having a shoestring? Not to mention if he has his SOT he's not prohibited. I'd check your facts before trying to insinuate things, especially something felonious.

"I want to weld caps onto 8 inch by 1.5 inch tubes." rslivers

Hmmm, he was asking about welding  --- 8" long x 1.5" dia. --- I get it, he's in the dildo business !!

Hey you never know. You know what they say about assuming.....
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 1:29:27 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its a standard .5x28 thread mount. A simple slip on collar resting against the FSB on a 16" MID, 14.5"  or 20" rifle is all thats needed. It's probably the easiest OPS can to install.

How close to the FSB does a 3rd model end up on a 14.5"?
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 5:28:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 6:00:17 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its a standard .5x28 thread mount. A simple slip on collar resting against the FSB on a 16" MID, 14.5"  or 20" rifle is all thats needed. It's probably the easiest OPS can to install.

Ian & BB, are we talking about a .308 / 7.62mm Ops Inc. 3rd Model can for use on the .223 / 5.56mm round? I'm assuming that this was suggested because the 3rd Model has more volume to compensate for the larger bore diameter? Or... is there a 3rd Model for .223 / .5.56mm?
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 6:06:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 6:10:31 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I was wrong, the 3rd is flush on 12.5" barrels. Its still a slip on collar though.

If its a barrel my guys did, I just treat it as a thread mount and dont use a collar at all.

.223 3rd model on 14.5" M4 barrel.
www.adcofirearms.com/random/3rdonm4.jpg

www.adcofirearms.com/random/opsoncarbines.jpg

That's an attractive setup with that much of the barrel covered. It looks like it actually protrudes less in front of the muzzle than the 16th.
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 6:11:59 AM EDT
[#30]
I know that its not going to sound like my warlock on my p22 but i was looking for some good suggestions on what people think sounds the best to the shooters ear. I think i am leaning towards the SWR Spec war 2 model or the AAC omni. It's going to be mounted on a 16 RRA entry.

Link Posted: 11/20/2007 6:14:40 AM EDT
[#31]
ian,

After seeing the size of the 3rd model, it doesn't surprise me that most people seem to think it's the quietest one around. It's freakin huge. I guess that would be the way to go if you don't mind turning your carbine into a rifle.
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 6:25:23 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I guess that would be the way to go if you don't mind turning your carbine into a rifle.

...or suppressing an SPR/Mk12/bolt gun.

I believe the 3rd was meant to go on more precise weapons, not a CQB gun.
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 6:30:25 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
ian,

After seeing the size of the 3rd model, it doesn't surprise me that most people seem to think it's the quietest one around. It's freakin huge. I guess that would be the way to go if you don't mind turning your carbine into a rifle.

The guy didn't ask for the smallest, he asked for the quietest. You can have all the efficient baffles you want but volume is still king in suppressor land.

Link Posted: 11/20/2007 6:34:23 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You do realize that he was talking about it for his home shop right, not AAC? Stop trying to salt the fields.

Doesn't he have a C2? (I thought he did anyway) Wouldn't it be legal then?

There is a difference between know how to build, and "want to automate a process they already know how to do manually"

This is the first mention I ever heard of the Sionics cans being quiet.  I always was under the impression they did poorly in military trials and metered about 20DB.  

I would go with what Ian is saying.  It sounds like he has heard a lot of the mainstream shit.  If it's noticeably better, then it's probably just better.

Not at the time he posted that he didn't. As far as I know all of his NFA items were parked  on someone else's FFL so making suppressors at his house would have been a felony.

Link Posted: 11/20/2007 6:58:24 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I guess that would be the way to go if you don't mind turning your carbine into a rifle.

...or suppressing an SPR/Mk12/bolt gun.

I believe the 3rd was meant to go on more precise weapons, not a CQB gun.

Yeah, that would make much more sense.
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 10:24:13 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doesn't he have a C2? (I thought he did anyway) Wouldn't it be legal then?

There is a difference between know how to build, and "want to automate a process they already know how to do manually"

This is the first mention I ever heard of the Sionics cans being quiet.  I always was under the impression they did poorly in military trials and metered about 20DB.  

I would go with what Ian is saying.  It sounds like he has heard a lot of the mainstream shit.  If it's noticeably better, then it's probably just better.

Not at the time he posted that he didn't. As far as I know all of his NFA items were parked  on someone else's FFL so making suppressors at his house would have been a felony.

Im only guesing ,,but i think mr larue had all what it did take to make a can before he had the permit to make one ,,that dosnt make him a criminal
Gathering equipment prior to making something is ok ,,
but sins we are speculating maybe he was just testing how different welding tecnics did affect the warping of a welded tube ( i heard rumors that some people are very interested in that )
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 10:42:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 11:23:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Does any body have a 3rd model vs say a M4-2k or Ranger can on video?  I know the sound will be distorted but it would be nice to hear a video difference.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 9:30:49 AM EDT
[#40]
what kind of barrel work would need to be done to a RRA entry model to host an OPS 3rd edition as that is the model i am leaning towards. Length is not the issue i will not be using for CQB.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:07:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
JPratt06, we had an M4 (with tan furniture and an Aimpoint) with 16th Model and several 12ths on SPRs (all scoped) at the shoot.  Do you remember what rifle you shot?

Mark

Mark,

The only trigger time I got with .223 cans was an SPR-M4. I did get to hear M42Ks on the firing line, however, as well as some individuals shooting their own Ops cans. Didn't get a chance to find out the model #s. I don't think they were the big ones though---looked only slightly longer than the AAC.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:33:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Btw, thanks for all your help with my recent order. I'm about to go off to the 'smith to have my mount rocksetted .
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:38:34 AM EDT
[#46]
It also bears mentioning that when considering suppressors on ARs you can really only get just so quiet because of the action noise and discharging gas. Putting a suppressor (take your pick which one) on a locked breach, single shot rifle will truly tell you which is quieter.

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:42:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:47:04 AM EDT
[#48]
I'll throw out another question would shooting a gas piston upper make any difference in the suppressors performance or the overall sound. I have heard some good things about the piston uppers but i have not seen any one using a can on them.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:58:11 AM EDT
[#49]
I asked this very question about two years ago.  I just could not make my mind up.

Tagging for outcome.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#50]
So Steve you'd see no problem putting a can even as long as the 3rd on a correctly threaded barrel with no collar?

Hm...

Interesing idea then because the 15th and 16th would then work the same way.

I want an Ops but I've got a 5.45 bulgy on the way.  I would just assume get a G5 that I can use on both...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top