Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/26/2023 4:06:47 PM EDT
My Concern: Is this what normal baffle erosion should look like at a 3.5k round count for a 5.56 rifle? or is this a metallurgy issue? I have seen reports of shooters having ~30k rounds on their cans and still going. At this point, I dont think I will have a single baffle left to use at 30k rounds. I understand suppessors have a service life and are consumable items but dayum. Am I just being cantankerous?

Suppresor: Griffin M4SDK
Mounts and usage: A2 FH 60%, Hammer comp 10%, and 3P FH 30%
Firing Schedule: 4-6 30rnd mags over an hour per shoot. No FA and have never mag dumped.
5.56 Hosts and usage: 10.3" 50%, 11.5" 40%, 14.5" 5%, and 16" 5%
Round count: ~3,500
Ammo: 80% M193, 15% wolf/tula .223, and 5% M855

Baffle round count: 0

Bafffle round count: ~2k

Baffle round count: ~3.5k

Link Posted: 2/26/2023 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn that's horrible
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 4:23:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#3]
yeah thats really bad, either you had a strike or those baffles are not to spec, what barrel length are you using it on? if its too short, that may play a role as well. I would hit them up to see what they say.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 4:52:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
yeah thats really bad, either you had a strike or those baffles are not to spec, what barrel length are you using it on? if its too short, that may play a role as well. I would hit them up to see what they say.
View Quote
Barrel length's are listed above. All of which the can is rated to "handle".
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 5:21:54 PM EDT
[#5]
It definitely looks worse than silencers with similar materials and round counts.  Have you noticed any performance differences?  Louder? Flashy? POI shift repeatability?
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 5:30:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It definitely looks worse than silencers with similar materials and round counts.  Have you noticed any performance differences?  Louder? Flashy? POI shift repeatability?
View Quote
I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. Shooting under nods the flash is just as minimal as when I first started using the can.  No keyholes from baffle strikes either. I have been limited to indoor ranges lately with several shooters shooting at the same time. I double up on ear pro so it would be hard to tell a difference In sound.

ETA: I also check the baffles after every shoot to look for shiny spots that would potentially indicate a strike. Haven't found anything yet.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 5:36:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Contact CS and we will rebuild it for you for free. There is enough to suspect to call this a potential mfg defect.

Couple of observations:

1. You have a can that doesn't have the vent holes on the forward support.  I'm not sure whether we will be able to update that or not, that gets more crazy into deconstruction of the can. This revision was a small number of cans around  January 2017 time frame like maybe 200-400.

2. Those baffles are not the newer generation flow through, so that doesn't help.

3. The color doesn't look right for heat treatment having occurred.

4. I don't recommend replacing mount screws.

Milspec mojo turned in a pre flow through 30SDK at ~50,000rds that looks a lot better than this. His second baffle was not gone.  I've beat on a lot of these and never achieved anything like this.  I would worry about how the A2's are mounted and try to figure out if those are aligned.  

This is not normal wear.  This would be the worst looking unit I've seen in 17 years of business and I have former Marsoc buddies from contracting with 10,000 plus rounds on multiple M4SD-IIs going strong.
View Quote
Thank you! I really apprecaite that and the info. I will contact CS in the morning. What is the best way to get ahold of them? Email or call in? Im kind of in a time crunch with a move coming up so Id like to get this sent in ASAP.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:55:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Contact CS and we will rebuild it for you for free. There is enough to suspect to call this a potential mfg defect.

Couple of observations:

1. You have a can that doesn’t have the vent holes on the forward support.  I’m not sure whether we will be able to update that or not, that gets more crazy into deconstruction of the can. This revision was a small number of cans around  January 2017 time frame like maybe 200-400.

2. Those baffles are not the newer generation flow through, so that doesn’t help.

3. The color doesn’t look right for heat treatment having occurred.

4. I don’t recommend replacing mount screws.

Milspec mojo turned in a pre flow through 30SDK at ~50,000rds that looks a lot better than this. His second baffle was not gone.  I’ve beat on a lot of these and never achieved anything like this.  I would worry about how the A2’s are mounted and try to figure out if those are aligned.  

This is not normal wear.  This would be the worst looking unit I’ve seen in 17 years of business and I have former Marsoc buddies from contracting with 10,000 plus rounds on multiple M4SD-IIs going strong.  We sold m4sdk’s to a foreign SF unit in 2016 that has reported zero problems and I saw that buyer at Shot in January and he said they were still happy with the original cans.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2023 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Couple of observations:

1. You have a can that doesn’t have the vent holes on the forward support.  I’m not sure whether we will be able to update that or not, that gets more crazy into deconstruction of the can. This revision was a small number of cans around  January 2017 time frame like maybe 200-400.

2. Those baffles are not the newer generation flow through, so that doesn’t help.

Milspec mojo turned in a pre flow through 30SDK at ~50,000rds that looks a lot better than this. His second baffle was not gone.  I’ve beat on a lot of these and never achieved anything like this.  I would worry about how the A2’s are mounted and try to figure out if those are aligned.  

This is not normal wear.  This would be the worst looking unit I’ve seen in 17 years of business and I have former Marsoc buddies from contracting with 10,000 plus rounds on multiple M4SD-IIs going strong.  We sold m4sdk’s to a foreign SF unit in 2016 that has reported zero problems and I saw that buyer at Shot in January and he said they were still happy with the original cans.

Bam. That's outstanding CS there.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 10:36:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Great feedback and service, Austin.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 10:41:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Couple of observations:

View Quote

@green0

For point 1, are you referring to the small holes in the pic below?

For point 2, the flow through baffles will have four points circled in red just below what I believe are the vents from point 1.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:35:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hopefully y’all are able to do that to the one I sent in for a baffle upgrade. Something I noticed when I was shooting my M4SDk twice a week on a 11.3” is that the Hammer Comp in the non-vent support ring focuses the blast jet on the bore of the can, whereas the two-port brake was more protective. The A2 also seemed less abusive to the first couple baffles than the Hammer Comp.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:43:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:55:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I will try to see if your can is in house and take a look at wear to see how it looks comparatively.
View Quote

Its #320. The wear is not as bad as his.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:56:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 12:21:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ill look out for it. How many rounds do you have on it? What platforms?
View Quote

Estimate based on ammo consumption is between 8k and 9k. Mostly an 11.3”, but its also been on a 12.3”, 14.5” 16”, 18”, and a P90. Some full auto, like twice, but nothing too crazy.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 2:45:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 2:50:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Griffin has always had great CS!
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 3:10:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 8:55:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Awesome CS from Griffin!    Looking forward to Austin's diagnosis after they receive this can and have a chance to autopsy it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:01:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I went looking for that, I did recall that number being here in the most recent monthly internal NFA RTR audit that was closed (being in the CS book it was one of the last items open in that audit as the NFA compliance person hadn't audited the CS department vault yet), so with the 320 number familiar in my head, I was hoping it would be here.  The CS agent said it shipped Friday.  So it's been turned around. I spoke to the machinist who cut the core out of it, and he said the first baffle was worn, but had its full form (AKA no loss of the cone aperture on the opposite side of the first notch), and nothing relevant beyond that.  The machinist said it looked like it could have run a lot further.  They had already disposed of the core, so it's not around to look at.  

Sorry the timing overlap was not the greatest there.  The upgrade core should be a big improvement to performance and I hope you like it and thankyou for the information.
View Quote

Thanks. Yeah, it could have gone a lot further, especially since I’ve switched to 12.5s, but I wanted to try the new baffle.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:27:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, Got the can in the mail to GA. Im looking forward to getting it in for evaluation and seeing what Griffin has to say. Just hope I get it back before I move next month.

@green0 Is there anyway I could get a cross section of my baffle stack back for display? or is that an NFA no no?
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 7:49:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The NFA has been weird about that.  Dealers reported Silencer Co got in some trouble for cutaways that were not functional suppressors.  

From the looks of the unit, and the machinist and customer's report of the non-extraordinary condition of the other suppressor from the same production run without issues after 8-9K rounds of mostly short barrel use we just saw in here for service, this can was probably glowing several times or run 1250F+ many times, if it wasn't experiencing a lot of baffle strikes or fragmenting ammunition to make that wear happen.  A2's would need to be shim mounted in order to allow the can to be mounted straight.

The baffle stack you get back will be heat treated, and laser welded, and should improve the wear properties, but the can won't be able to compensate for abusive use or misalignment of the mounts.

When we historically sell ~85,000 cans, thousands of those to current police and former military end users, and some of this same model to happy, elite military unit customers who have been running the cans 6+ years, and are looking at the worst looking core we've ever seen, that isn't insignificant in terms of what it means happened to the unit.  

Shit happens.  We stand behind the product.  
View Quote
Understood.
Like I said in my intial post, I dont do mag dumps or anything like that. The closest thing would be a couple bill drills but I dont run bill drills mag after mag after mag. My A2's have always been shimmed with your guys' shim kit and over travel stop. Ive never shot frangible ammo or I would have provided that info in my intial post. Ive only used quality barrels like DD, Criterion, LMT, and Colt and have always checked alignment with the can. I shoot under nods and have never seen the can glow through nods and I dont use a wrap over the can. Nevertheless, I am looking forward to getting it back and continuing to purchase Griffin products. The CS I have received to this point has been excellent. Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 7:24:38 PM EDT
[#29]
@green0

Well, fuck me. That is two cans in two weeks. Dead air Wolfman will be going back as well.

On my last range trip, I ran one mag of some 5.56 55grain ammo from a manufacturer(pretty well known company) that is new to the ammo market that I completely forgot to mention.
And so I go to the range today to re-zero my rifle and PEQ to prepare for a local NV match next weekend with my new dead air key micro brake for
my wolfman.

It appears that this ammo was the culprit. Not exactly happy with how my range trips have been turning out recently.
I understand if this negates the prior conclusion that this is a manufacturers defect and If I will be billed, I will pay it.

Link Posted: 3/4/2023 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Same rifle? Maybe reach out to that manufacturer of ammo that we all may know who it is…I’m sure they’ll help out if it’s who I think it is.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 7:48:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Same rifle? Maybe reach out to that manufacturer of ammo that we all may know who it is I'm sure they'll help out if it's who I think it is.
View Quote
They are pretty active on arfcom and I have received excellent CS from them before for issues that I have had with my Ak. Ill have to reach out to them on Monday to see what they think.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 8:03:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's cool to get the rest of the information.  

Just because life is shit doesn't mean it has to be shit for you.  We'll stay the course on the repair.

View Quote
ahhh my man! I truly appreciate that.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 8:10:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 12:42:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
No problem look at that second photo... 5:56PM

Coincidence?  Its funny how many times I've seen the clock at 5:56.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/5/2023 1:06:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Here is a few more photos that I posted in another thread that some of you may have  found. This is on my dead air key micro brake that was brand new, bought the same day. Is there a technical term for projectile seperation? Beacuse I am pretty sure thats what happened.

Link Posted: 3/5/2023 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#37]
@Green0 so the M4SDK can be upgraded to the new baffle system?
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#38]
There was a thread recently where somebody tore up some baffles with an apparent bullet disintegration. I can’t find the thread, but it seemed like it mentioned the ammunition used. Curious if it’s same brand. Maybe somebody recalls the thread.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 2:21:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
There was a thread recently where somebody tore up some baffles with an apparent bullet disintegration. I can't find the thread, but it seemed like it mentioned the ammunition used. Curious if it's same brand. Maybe somebody recalls the thread.
View Quote
That might have been mine.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#40]
So whose ammo do you suspect lead to the problem?

Edited: grammar & spelling
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There was a thread recently where somebody tore up some baffles with an apparent bullet disintegration. I can't find the thread, but it seemed like it mentioned the ammunition used. Curious if it's same brand. Maybe somebody recalls the thread.

This was the thread I was thinking of. It got lost in GD so I didn’t follow up to see he’s still having problems, most likely an alignment issue.  So probably not ammo related at all.  

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/A-Bullet-exploded-in-my-brand-new-suppressor-I-think-UPDATE-2-/5-2619857/?page=2
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So whose ammo do you suspect lead to the problem?

Edited: grammar & spelling
View Quote
Well the folks in the other thread already found this thread and connected the dots. You can find that thread Here.
It was AAC 5.56 55gr
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 10:24:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I think you will like the new stack, there were two somewhat major revisions since your can was made, and they were both kind of significant.
View Quote

I just got mine back from the upgrade. Front support ring is still the non-perforated  type, but the new baffles sound great and definitely do have less backpressure. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 11:34:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 11:44:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Thanks for your purchase of the upgrade.  I’m glad you can notice the improvement / there is a return for the investment.

When I got with customer service it had gone out the friday prior to that monday I checked in with them, so I couldn’t consider any changes to the ring.  My laser welder is reportedly repaired now, but hasn’t been return shipped yet so it would still be delayed as the only way I could see repairing it would be to machine the mount off and use the new laser welded rear cap component which I didn’t check prints but believe might be the same size in length.

Sorry about the timing on that.

The current cap on that model is threaded and tig welded in assembly so there is redundancy to how it is attached, but that also is a bit heavier which is what the laser welded version was designed to change in the laser welded M4SD-L (tubeless lighter weight version) which has not been released because marketing is running behind after being put on the fences by shit like Youtube getting temporarily hostile to the firearms industry, requiring research into resolutions and work duplicating content to rumble and vimeo, as well as temporary reduction of efforts to pdf product manual enhancements.

View Quote

I’m almost certainly down with a tubeless version.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 10:24:27 PM EDT
[#47]
@FailureToFun

What happened to your AAC 55gr ammo post?
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 6:57:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
@FailureToFun

What happened to your AAC 55gr ammo post?
View Quote

PSA nuked it

They deleted one of mine where I had an issue.  They like to get them off the site to hide problems
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 7:15:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

PSA nuked it

They deleted one of mine where I had an issue.  They like to get them off the site to hide problems
View Quote
Wow....they sure did.

That really makes me question spending any more money with them.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:55:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top