Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2002 7:49:01 AM EDT
I'm Looking at a nice, about 98% preban mini 14 nice wood stock.  What is a good price for this?
Thanks
[kill
]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 9:33:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Preban and postban are meaningless terms as far as Mini-14s go, because they didn't come with 2 or more of the "bad things" that make a gun an "assault weapon." So, you shouldn't pay any more for a Mini-14 that was made before the AW ban was enacted. Good high-cap mags will be the real killer.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 9:40:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Preban and postban are meaningless terms as far as Mini-14s go, because they didn't come with 2 or more of the "bad things" that make a gun an "assault weapon." So, you shouldn't pay any more for a Mini-14 that was made before the AW ban was enacted. Good high-cap mags will be the real killer.

Actually I believe it is relevant as you can not install a folding/collaspable stock on post ban rifle.  At least that was my understanding...maybe I am wrong?
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 10:04:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Preban and postban are meaningless terms as far as Mini-14s go, because they didn't come with 2 or more of the "bad things" that make a gun an "assault weapon

That's not exactly true.
Mini 14's did come in assault weapon configuration. Some had a standard wood stock and had a bayonet lug and flash suppressor while others came with a folding stock, pistol grip and flash suppressor.

I've seen the factory folders selling for between $800-$1000 (the stainless factory folders usually command more $) and the standard stock with flash suppressor and bayonet lug selling between $600-$800.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 10:15:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a stainless pre-ban Mini-14 GB.  It was completely assembled by the factory before the ban, is semi-auto, is able to accept a detachable magazine, has a pistol grip which protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, has a factory folding stock, a factory bayonet mount, and a factory flash suppressor.  By DEFINITON of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, this rifle is an exempt (pre-ban) assault weapon.  I'll never sell it because it was a gift, but a rifle in this configuration demands a premium above an beyond what common sense would dictate.

Pray for the sunset in 2004!  Then it won't matter.

Link Posted: 3/6/2002 11:26:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I just have to ask....why would anyone want a Mini-14 anyway?  8" groups at 100 yards isnt my idea of a 'good' gun lol
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all of the info guys.  It is much appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 1:21:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess I hadn't thought about aftermarket folding stocks (not sure if Ruger still put folders & bayo lugs on at the factory in '94.) Considering that both Mini-14s (WAY pre-ban) I had wore Choate folders, it's a strange thing to forget! So, I guess if you want to put a folder on, a pre-ban will be worth more. If I was looking for one, pre-ban or post-ban wouldn't make a difference if I wanted a folder - ya gotta start disobeying these unconstitutional gun laws somewhere, right?

The "8-inch group @ 100 yards" Mini-14 seems to have been seen by everyone. My opinion is that it's like the "uncle (friend, brother, etc) who was infantry in 'Nam" stories - there would have had to be a couple million grunts in 'Nam if everyone's story was true. I'll give my pre-ban AR (only an Oly so maybe it's not worth much) to anyone who can show me 1 non-shot-out Mini-14 that can't do better than 8" groups at 100 yards. Every Mini-14 that I've ever fired or seen fired exhibited perfectly adequate practical accuracy - say, 4MOA or better.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 5:02:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Every Mini-14 that I've ever fired or seen fired exhibited perfectly adequate practical accuracy - say, 4MOA or better.

I agree.  Mini-14s are often maligned, but my experience mirrors yours.

I agree.  I have a feeling people that have never owned/fired one often jump in with a negative opinion.  

-I have no problem getting 3" groups using surplus ammo.  

-My mini has 10k rounds thru it without any parts breakage.

-No problems with aftermarket mags (PMI and Ramline).

-Yes, preban means something.  A popular addition years ago was the combo flash hider/bayo lug.

Link Posted: 3/7/2002 6:36:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

As someone else stated, the GB is actually an evil Mini.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 2:45:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Actually I believe it is relevant as you can not install a folding/collaspable stock on post ban rifle.  At least that was my understanding...maybe I am wrong?

According to federal law, if it did not have at least two evil features (pistol grip, bayo lug, flash suppressor, or folding stock) ON 9/13/94, it is NOT a grandfathered "assault weapon" and cannot be configured as such now, even if it was manufactured before the '94 Ban. This means if it is just a plain Mini-14 with no evil features, the BATF considers it post-ban, regardless of date of manufacture. The law sucks, but that is how it reads. Sorry.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 3:05:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By GNR Surplus:
I just have to ask....why would anyone want a Mini-14 anyway?  8" groups at 100 yards isnt my idea of a 'good' gun lol

Because with the factory folder stock it is very compact package... even more compact than AR carbine with pre-ban clapsed stock.

I used to keep 2 Stainless Steel Mini-14 with factory folding stock plus 6 chromed factory 30 round mags in our sailboat.  After 5 or 6 years it still does not have any rust.

As for the 8" group... would you like to bet some $$$ that I can shoot 3" or better for 5 shot group at 100 yards with any one of my 6 Mini/Rach rifle?
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 5:15:46 PM EDT
[#13]
My Mini-14 experience was not as bad as 8" groups, but with many different kinds of ammo the best groups I could ever get were about 5", and that was with a 3x-9x scope (Ranch Rifle version). What was strange though was the fact that if the barrel was allowed to really cool down, between EACH shot, groups were MUCH smaller, about 2 1/2". What was even more disconcerning was that my friend's Stainless Mini would shoot about 3" groups, it really made me sick! He tried my rifle, he couldn't ever do any better than myself. I could shoot his as well as he could. The barrels are just too light & thin, they really get hot around the gas port area. I just don't think they justify a $500 price tag. Traded mine in on a second AR and have never loked back. The only way I would pay a premium price for a GB or factory folder would be if it came with a BUNCH of factory hi-caps.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Minis are definitely not tack drivers, but they should shoot sub-3 inch groups at 100 yds.  My mini 14 & 30 both shoot 2 inch groups.  The trigger pull on Rugers has gotten very heavy w/ a good amount of creep.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Like Maud-Dib I also have a Mini-14 GBF with a factory folder and bayonet lug/flash surpressor like new in box. I also would never sell it because it is a GAS to shoot and I tricked it out with a s/s upper hand guard and scope. Although Mini-14's have never been issued in combat they are still fun to own / shoot. Enjoy yours!
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Like Maud-Dib I also have a Mini-14 GBF with a factory folder and bayonet lug/flash surpressor like new in box. I also would never sell it because it is a GAS to shoot and I tricked it out with a s/s upper hand guard and scope. Although Mini-14's have never been issued in combat they are still fun to own / shoot. Enjoy yours! Last week at a local gun show I saw a guy selling 2 GBF's  for $1,000.00 and $12.000  in less than excellent condition. In fact they were in NRA "POOR". Looks like some "yahoo" kept them in the window of his pick-up for about 10 years.  He might not get it but isn't it fun to know that's what some guys are asking for them now?
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 6:23:56 PM EDT
[#17]
OOPS, Fat-fingered my last post 'fore I was done. But I think You get the message!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top