Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2002 11:40:16 AM EDT
I decided I am going to get my best friend a handgun for her 21st birthday coming up in June. I would appreciate some reccomendations please. I would get her a USPc, except for the fact she is 4'8" and 95-100 lbs. or so. So you can see she is pretty tiny. I think she needs a self defense gun as any real punk could physically subdue her. The Hk would most likely be to big for her. I was thinking along the lines of a small-medium frame S&W 357, a walther PPK in .380, or a compact glock .40. I would not get her anything that I would not trust to protect my own life with. So I am sort of leaning towards the glock.....Dangit HK make a subcompact please!!!!!!!! Any input will be appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends to some extant on her experience/skill with handguns.  But, I think the small/med frame revolver would be the way to go.  Simple operating drill, lots of ammunition options (38's vs 357's), generally less money than an auto.  Something along the line of the 3 inch Smith K frames perhaps.  Big enough to absorb some the recoil (snubbies like the J frames can be a handful for inexperienced shooters) yet still reasonably concealable.  A 40, particularly a compact 40, would be to much gun, in my opinion.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 11:49:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Look at the J or K frame Lady Smiths.  I really like the Dymondwood grips they use on these.  Feel good, don't add to length of pull, but can get all fingers on the grip.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 11:52:23 AM EDT
[#3]
take her shopping (women like that i hear). spend all day handling guns. buy her the one she likes, within reason (no 22s, jennings or desert eagles).
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#4]
My wife's 5 foot nothing and 118 lbs. The only two three hanguns that she's found to be comfortable for her small hands are my browning Hi Power and her Mdl 36 Smith & Wesson .38 and a new Browning Buck Mark .22lr.

My wife loves the Buck Mark for plinking and the Mdl 36 she carries.

Handguns like shoes work best when they fit

Link Posted: 2/28/2002 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not sure I would get her the compact .40, it might be a little too much recoil for her in that small a gun.  What about the slim line glock in the .45, not sure what model it is?  It should fit her hands better than the other models.  The .45 recoil isn't reall bad its just a slower recoil than the .40.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 12:01:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I decided I am going to get my best friend a handgun for her 21st birthday coming up in June. I would appreciate some reccomendations please. I would get her a USPc, except for the fact she is 4'8" and 95-100 lbs. or so. So you can see she is pretty tiny. I think she needs a self defense gun as any real punk could physically subdue her. The Hk would most likely be to big for her. I was thinking along the lines of a small-medium frame S&W 357, a walther PPK in .380, or a compact glock .40. I would not get her anything that I would not trust to protect my own life with. So I am sort of leaning towards the glock.....Dangit HK make a subcompact please!!!!!!!! Any input will be appreciated. Thanks!

I don't know why knowone ever mentions the sig 230/232 series of handguns?
It comes in 9mm short, slimline, good size handgrips. I was just recently given an older p230 and I now carry this gun while at work, its fits in my pocket! And its quite accurate. The USP 45F is hard to carry at work.

I would recommend this series of weapons for woman.
But I have a bias german opinion when it comes to HANDGUNS but not rifles.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 12:22:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you all for your input.....I wanted it to be a suprise for her. She isn't very humble when it comes to letting money be pent on her, then again neither am I, so we sort of argue back and forth about it sometimes, all good natured of course. I will go down to sportsmans warehouse, check out a few pieces that I will reccomend to her, and let her choose for herself. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 12:23:09 PM EDT
[#8]
My feeling is take your lady friend to a gun shooting range where they rent guns, and let her shoot bunch of them. Does she know how to shoot already, maybe a 22LR revolver such as S&W Model 17, etc. if she is new.  After she has tried a few and though about it over, then take her to your favorite gun store and buy her one. Buying a gun is a very personal experience, and is not something that you would want to rush into. For me the ideal gun for a woman would be a S&W Model 60 with a 3inch bbl and ajustable rear sight.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 12:41:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I got my girlfriend a Colt .380 Mustang a couple of years ago (picked it up CHEAP in a pawnshop) and this little thing is rock-solid, operates without a hitch, and she has learned to be quite accurate with it. I know the .380 is kinda small, but let's face it-would YOU want to be shot with a .380, especially 5-6 times? The gun is really compact, and doesn't weigh a ton.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 12:42:34 PM EDT
[#10]
My wife weighs about 110 lbs and shoots my USP 40 and enjoys it, but does complain some about the recoil after several rounds.  I am thinking about a Glock 26 for her.  The 9mm would be a little better on the recoil and still do the job if need be.  Plus, the lighter recoil and cheaper rounds for the 9mm can lead to more practice.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Your just trying to get a peice of ass.

check out a S & W Model 10.  Small grips, .38 power.  

Used, around $200.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 1:06:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Ruger GPF-331.

www.ruger-firearms.com/rvpages/gpf331.html

This is a very fine firearm.
Women seem to take well to the GP-100 series.
The grip is comfortable; it shoots 'wussy' loads for practice; it doesn't cost an arm and a leg; it's powerful and accurate; it seems to instill confidence; it's controllable; it's not too big; it can be used for protection/hunting/target shooting/trail-hiking, etc.
Good gun.  If you can, let her see the Ruger site first, unless it has to be a total surprise.
This gun might be a good choice.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#13]
C-Rock........you have a very good explanation and motive, I give you that. But if I really wanted a piece of ass from here I would just buy her a bottle of Jose Cuervo. Then I could even invite another girl along! Great Idea, but at some point in a guys life, it is really nice to have a close, strictly platonic realtionship with a woman. The support can be incomparable. I like our friendship the way it is now. And all of this sounds weird coming from a guy who doesn't even get to purchase his own USP until next thursday........when I turn 21. Thanks for the good humor!
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 1:20:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 2:33:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe a Kahr P9.  I haven't had the chance to shoot one yet, but all I hear are good reviews.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#16]
HK Mk 23 SOCOM.
As long as she can hold it up, she should never have to fire a shot.  That handgun should scare most would-be attackers off.  Plus, she doesn't have to shoot very well.  The Mk 23 makes an excellent clubbing/throwing weapon.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#17]
My girl is about 5' and weighs in at a whopping 93 pounds, she shoots the Kahr and loves it.  Very easy in the hand and the recoil isn't abusive.  While I worked at a gun store, I sold atleat 20 to women.  Not just a chick gun either, so you won't look like a bitch shooting it with her!  Look into it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 3:07:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 3:23:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Bought my wife a S+W 686. She's 115lbs dripping wet. She loves it. Shoots mostly .38 Special but has used .357 mag.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 5:24:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Unless she is very experienced with a semi-auto pistol, I would get a Lady Smith, a Ruger GP100, or a Ruger SP101 (these are all .357 Magnum/.38 Special caliber).

There are too many controls on auto pistols for emergency use by beginners.  For self defense, point a double action revolver, and it goes bang when the trigger is pulled - no complications.

Get a barrel no longer than 4 inches long for easy retrieval from a holster and more comfortable carry.  Get a 6 inch barrel for target shooting.

Follow the advice above and let her pick out the gun.

Use the revolver as an excuse to buy a semi-auto pistol later!
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#22]
"life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog" - bumper sticker
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:44:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Depends to some extant on her experience/skill with handguns.  But, I think the small/med frame revolver would be the way to go.  Simple operating drill, lots of ammunition options (38's vs 357's), generally less money than an auto.  Something along the line of the 3 inch Smith K frames perhaps.  Big enough to absorb some the recoil (snubbies like the J frames can be a handful for inexperienced shooters) yet still reasonably concealable.

The Taurus Model 85 is another great choice -

handguns.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=121

Thats the first one I thought of as well... Great choice
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 7:18:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Get her a Glock 19 or 26 if you want a subcompact. I bought my girlfiend, now wife, a S&W Ladysmith .357/.38 as her first gun and she hated it. She could not shoot it well and the double action trigger pull tired her finger out after a short while. She picked up my Glock 21 and blasted away happily. Since then I've bought her a Glock 19 which she loves. They have most if not all of the attributes of a revolver, i.e. no external saftey or alot of controls to think about, just press the trigger and it goes bang. It also has the advantage of higher capacity and is much easier to learn to shoot well. But bottom line, I'd let her shoot, not just look at, a few she thinks she'd like and let her decide. If she doesn't like shooting it, she won't, at least not as much as she should and she won't feel comfortable with it when and if she ever needs it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 7:46:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
C-Rock........you have a very good explanation and motive, I give you that. But if I really wanted a piece of ass from here I would just buy her a bottle of Jose Cuervo. Then I could even invite another girl along! Great Idea, but at some point in a guys life, it is really nice to have a close, strictly platonic realtionship with a woman. The support can be incomparable. I like our friendship the way it is now. And all of this sounds weird coming from a guy who doesn't even get to purchase his own USP until next thursday........when I turn 21. Thanks for the good humor!

Your turning 21?  
Ya right, your trying to get some! I remember when I was your age.  

I would guess $$$ is a factor, I was broke when I was your age too.  
Check out the Model 10's, they are good guns.
c-rock

Link Posted: 3/1/2002 10:42:59 AM EDT
[#26]
My wife is 5'2" 110lbs....

I bought her a S&W Ladysmith....she loves it...

Bulldog OUT
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Tahe a look at the Kahr k9
ARH
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 11:37:35 AM EDT
[#28]
SIG-Sauer P225
Browning Hi-Power
CZ 75 (fairly slim grips for a 9mm double stack)
Beretta is coming out with a new slimmer grip 9mm that takes double stack mags.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top