Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2002 4:02:05 PM EDT
I want a pistol caliber carbine, maybe 9mm.  What should I consider?  Preban/Postban? Which manufacture?
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#1]
9mm Ruger Carbine PC9GR (Ghost Ring)
http://www.rugerfirearms.com/rfcenterfire_auto.html

30 Cal IAI M1 Carbine
http://www.israelarms.com/flash/iai.html

Regards,
FRIZ
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#3]
To Ilovetoshoot,
I have not decided.  Maybe both.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#4]
To ILove2Shoot,
I have not decided.  Maybe both.

corrected
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#5]
i find UZIs simpley intoxicating. pre ban the only way to go there. feather ind. guns are cool looking, but i dont know about them. i hear a RRA 9mm ar setup is like 500$ or so. if you have a pre banar, that would be a good way to go. also, if you live in a class 3 state, a SBR ar 9mm is awsome. persoanlly, this is my dream 9mm

credit to dfrcolt, that is his work of art. someday i will hopfully do someting similar, but pry not F/A. just a supressed SBR.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#6]
What about a USC?  its in 45 though.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 8:18:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

the "gun that holds 10 rds, is fugley, and post ban, for the price of a pre ban uzi" thing really turns me off

now if shawn gets his USC to UMP conversion rolling, it may be someting to consider.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 8:56:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the "gun that holds 10 rds, is fugley, and post ban, for the price of a pre ban uzi" thing really turns me off

now if shawn gets his USC to UMP conversion rolling, it may be someting to consider.

I have no doubt that Shawn will get the USC grease gun mag conversion going.  When he says it'll be done, you can bet it will be done.

Well, pistol caliber carbine:  Ya have....

AR: 9mm-factory colt, ASA, RRA(?), Oly Arms.  ASA uses colt type mags, so a plus.  There are a lot out there.  Oly, uses their mag....  Then there are the other cals, 40, 45, 10mm, so on.

Dedicated rifle: Ruger

Keltec Sub 40/Sub 9/ Sub 2000.  Allow's pistol mag to be used in carbine.  Also folds for compact storage.  Have one.  I like, but takes Glock mags (40)....so you also have the 29rnd Scherer mags avail.....(hee, hee)
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Of all the carbines designed around a pistol cartridge, I'd say that the Ruger PC-9 or PC-4 would be a good choice. I had a PC-9, and they are VERY reliable (will feed ANY 9mm Para ammo, even from a USA mag), accurate (mine shot a 13/16-inch 10rd group at 25 yds), and sturdy. I have, however, gotten rid of mine, in favor of an IAI M1 Carbine (which will be here Thursday-can't f*cking WAIT!).
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 11:16:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 3:06:37 AM EDT
[#11]
AAAK!
We need to set up an AR15 haircut fund for this guy.

If I were going to buy a handgun caliber AR15 it would be the same caliber as my primary carry handgun is.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 4:38:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Oly Arms makes a VERY nice selection of pistol caliber uppers for your AR. Plug and play stuff. No mods at all.

Some people hate Oly, but I've got their .40 S&W upper, and its sweet. 4" groups at 100 yds. With a pistol caliber, that is EXCELLENT. No jams, no malfunctions.

Get a pistol caliber carbine in the same caliber as your carry gun. One type of ammo for all situations.

Since 9mm is underpowered, and 45 has lower capacity mags, AND I carry a .40 - well, it was an easy call for me.

Link Posted: 2/27/2002 8:18:58 AM EDT
[#13]
HK 94-A3. Collapse stock, short, fun, 9mm. Civilian model of the MP5. Did I say fun, I pack all the mags I have before leaving the house and that keeps me going for the short haul.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#14]
a HK94 will acually cost you more than a class 3 UZI after tax stamp. sorry, but im not bout to plug over 3000 in to a semi 9mm
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 1:48:02 PM EDT
[#15]
How about one of the oly 9mm (or whatever) conversions that uses modified mags that fit your primary handgun.  I have been thinking about this for my Sig 226, I am not sure how much they charge to convert the Sig mags but sounds like a helluva idea

That HK is ugly
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks everyone,
To Mattsd,
I'll check on the RRA $500 deal.  Yes, I do have a preban AR so we'll see about it.  Also, I do have a Class III dealer up the road who I trade with but I don't know what SBR stands for, forgive my lack of education.  What does it mean.

To Kaliburz,
I like the idea of the Sub 2000 because I have glock hicaps.  I like the price.  Is the Sub 200 DAO?

To Unrepentant_Sinner,
Sounds like a goooood idea.  I didn't realize the Oly thing where they use your pistol mags.  
Also, I saw the .45 HK like the guy in the picture has and I agree, it is ugly and doesn't feel so good either.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 7:01:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Thanks everyone,
To Mattsd,
I'll check on the RRA $500 deal.  Yes, I do have a preban AR so we'll see about it.  Also, I do have a Class III dealer up the road who I trade with but I don't know what SBR stands for, forgive my lack of education.  What does it mean.

well, SBR stands for short barreled rifle. you could do a kick ass short barreled 9mm AR for a reasonable price. stick the upper on a preban lower with CAR stock and your on your way to something like above.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 7:40:21 PM EDT
[#18]
haulingice,

Yes, it is DAO...reminds me of the Glock.
The Sub-2000 is the 'new' folding rifle, just introduced and only available in 9mm for now.  The old one was the Sub-9.  If you're a lefty, its a little funny to shoot...recomment using brass catcher.  (As I'm a lefty.....)

There was a place selling on on GunsAmerica for under 300 last week, but it's not listed now.

DVDTracker,

I saw the pic before.  That's the proto.  Can't wait for production model to start selling.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 3:11:48 PM EDT
[#19]
http://www.tacticalexcellence.com/prototype1.html

mmmmm. . . Die it black, SBR, use with my KAC grip and ATN Ultrasight. . . . drool. . . .

-Justin
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 8:51:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
http://www.tacticalexcellence.com/prototype1.html

mmmmm. . . Die it black, SBR, use with my KAC grip and ATN Ultrasight. . . . drool. . . .

-Justin

Cavalry Arms posted on to phase 2.... getting enough US parts count....since the testing went fine w/out a hitch.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 9:03:52 PM EDT
[#21]
The USC may be fugly, but it's built like a tank in true HK style.  It will digest a steady diet of 45 super quite happily.  I'd like to get one at some point...
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 10:19:50 PM EDT
[#22]
The USC rocks. Right out of the box you can drive nails with it. Get that and a USP45F and go to it.  ( at least that's what I did ! )

Link Posted: 3/15/2002 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top