Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2002 9:24:38 AM EDT
I've been considering the purchase of an SA auto for general use.  (I've owned a few .45's in the past but have sold them.)  How many of you use an SA along with a drop leg holster?  I've taken a few tac-classes, and have used a Glock as well as a Beretta, but the 1911 or BHP frame fits my hand better.  My main concern in the idea of carrying a cocked-and-locked pistol strapped to my leg while doing the other things the classes require.  

Feedback?

Jim
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 9:37:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I do.  

No problems with CQB, but if I do not like the drop holsters for patrolling or extended field use.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 12:08:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I do.  

No problems with CQB, but if I do not like the drop holsters for patrolling or extended field use.

What is your preference on carry for field use?
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I do.  

What is your preference on carry for field use?

Depends on your intent, and whatever else you have to carry.  I am normally set up for extended duration, long range operations.

It is hard to run with a leg holster, and they chafe if worn for too long.

Shortening the extension strap on the holster works if you have space on the patrol belt to move it up.

Shoulder holster is a good bet if your belt is already filled with gear.

Hope this helps, just my .02.

If you
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#4]
If you’re an LEO, you need to think about weapon retention with a dropped holster.

Otherwise, I personally can’t see any difference between cocked and locked in a dropped holster versus a belt holster.

However, I’ve never carried as you describe since, on the street at least, I dislike both cocked and locked guns and drop holsters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top