Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2002 9:59:28 PM EDT
Of the Muzzle Brakes you have had experience with, which is the least loud to shooters on either side of you?

I have a couple of guns with Brakes--and the DSA  Carbine is somewhat loud to either side of the shooter.  I have shot next to an Armalite with it's brake (in .223), and it is at least as bad.  Does anyone make a brake that is functional, but not as loud to either side?

Thanks!!

AFARR
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 10:00:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Try Kurt's Kustoms in the Industry forum.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 1:08:07 AM EDT
[#2]
The LeVang comp is supposedly the "quietest", but I've never seen one.  I'm plenty happy with my Smith Enterprise brake.  It doesn't seem to be too loud.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 3:44:58 AM EDT
[#3]
In brakes my rule is simple....remember these three letters:

A B B
Anything......but.....Bushmaster
I have just selected a new brake for my Target 20....here it is....

It can be purchased here--->www.egw-guns.com/egw.htm
A brake must also look good in my opinion.

Reagards,
Gary
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 3:48:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:34:13 AM EDT
[#5]
There's an outfit making ATF-approved muzzle breaks that work like a silencer. It's a steel tube that goes over the barrel and not only reduces recoil, but also sound to a small extent. Sorry, can't remember the name, saw it in American Rifleman or something a couple times.
The barrels were purpose-contoured for the "sleeve".
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:52:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I have been really happy with my brakes from Wilson Combat. I really cant tell any difference in sound from a standard flash hider and the Wilson's.

Have to admit, I like the look of yours to Kurt. Those are nice. Makes me want another AR just to get one on it. Better yet, maybe just another upper. I home my wife doesnt read this.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:54:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Went out to the EGW site and didn't find the M/B but did find these folks do trigger work on SIG's !

Thanks !
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:29:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Went out to the EGW site and didn't find the M/B but did find these folks do trigger work on SIG's !

Thanks !

Go to the AR15 section then look for an arrow pointing right about midway down the righthand side of the page.  Go to the next page and it's there.  Hi! and how are the folks in Edmond today?
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:37:12 AM EDT
[#9]
We be fine !!

(I have a SIG P 220 in .38 Super with the world's worst trigger - seems as if the trigger-travel is about an inch before it even thinks of engaging and after engagement it is no prize.
I've got laser sights as well as Heine Straight Eight, Slant Pro Sights(night sights).
I like everything about the pistol but the trigger.)
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:52:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The LeVang comp is supposedly the "quietest", but I've never seen one.  I'm plenty happy with my Smith Enterprise brake.  It doesn't seem to be too loud.

The Le Vang pretty much doesn't do anything except decorate the muzzle. I have two on post bans, and the noise level and recoil is virtually the same as my one pre ban with an A1 flash supressor. Muzzle brakes are noisy because they direct gases, and thus noise, sideways and a bit rearward to offset recoil. The more efficient the brake, the noisier to the rear and sides. Personally, I don't find the modest recoil of 5.56/.223 a problem with follow-up shots. I do have a problem with the noise and dirty looks from other shooters. When I get aroung to it, I'm going to send my Armalite out to have the noisy recoil check replaced with another LeVang.
YMMV
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Who sells the Le Vang Comp? Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 12:39:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I think I remember seeing a brake made by "Hyperdyne". I think this was the type that was described in another reply.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 3:02:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Who sells the Le Vang Comp? Thanks.

DPMS sells them; I don't know if they are the actual manufacturer though.

As I said before I haven't actually seen one, so you should listen to DFBonnett about whether they actually work.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 3:23:51 PM EDT
[#14]
i have the armalite factory brake on my ARmalite 20". and no brake on my bushy 16". Recoil is virtually no different between them. The armalite is painful to stand next to. My recomendation... unless you just have to have one. don't
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:57:15 PM EDT
[#15]
While there are some arguments that official approval is not necessary, it should be mentioned that the Wilson and the latest version of the EGW brake are ATF approved for use on post-ban rifles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top