Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2002 1:04:00 AM EDT
want to know if this is a good model for colt, it is nothing special just a rounded combat hammer and wrap-around grips.  its practically unfired 100&  i've got two other 1911's just want to own a by-god-colt.  is 575.00 too much to pay for this pistol?
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 1:24:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 1:48:58 AM EDT
[#2]
goverment issue has a flat top slide as oppossed to the rounded top slide . pretty much plane jane,  i was going to buy a m1911-a1 parekrrized spur hammer army issue for 650.00.   don't know if gov issue is better than army issue,but that damnd old spur hammer sure catches on every thing in site.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 1:52:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 2:04:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Model 80s get a bad rap because of the firing pin safety and are worth less .
But you can pitch the four parts in your case cleaner several times and they will smooth out very nicely.
Then use #240-360 polishing compound in the big parts and you will have beat your smith out of $80.
cpermd
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 2:27:05 AM EDT
[#5]
cpermed do you mean worth-less or worthless- as i have not bought this gun yet only gave my dealer 200.00 to hold it.  i can back out easily is this a good gun or not.  you can put the hammer on first click pull the trigger and the hammer will fall! i don't know if it would hit the enertia pin hard enough to fire a round,but still it shouldn't do this should it?(don't know about colts but my thompson won't do that)  
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 2:39:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I would offer the $200 then. Maybe $250. It is unsafe in that condition, means parts a wore (somebodey pulled the trigger on halfcock). It will have to be fixed which you can do at home, but either way it will and to the price.

R35
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 2:45:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I mean they sell for less.
They are worth less $$ because COLT has a bunch of accountants,bureaucrats,lawyers and general jackasses running the company.
I am sure I could buy these cheese dicks out and turn a profit,but they seem to get sold to another bookkeeping legal eagle bureaucrat every two years.
I have run the figures and think that there is not a gun these goobers sell that would cost over $820 retail.$710 wholesale for anything!!
cpermd
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 2:51:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 3:10:50 AM EDT
[#9]
thanks cpermd you are abbsolutly correct!  you buy them dudes out and i'll buy from you!  i'm going to get my monnies back from that dude and buy that ugly spur-hammerd m1911-1A politically correct colt!  hell i'm not going to shoot or carry it anyway. just set it next to my ak, just because i can .  and when i get really old my daughter will ask me dad why did you buy that POS anyway?
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 5:04:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:00:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The trigger falls at half cocked? Run away from that thing quick!

Whoa!  There's nothing wrong there.  The series 80 does that by design.  It's strange at first when you're not used to the firgin pin safety deal, but ALL series 80's are that way.  The half-cock is not anywhere near as far back as on the earlier model.  Once in this positon, pulling the trigger will lower the hammer all the way down.  Supposedly there isn't enough inertia to overcome the firing pin spring.  I would not recommend it from the standpoint that pulling the trigger on a loaded gun is not wise unless you want to shoot it.  I just couldn't bring myself to do it on mine when loaded.  Like I said, it's mighty strange, but that's the way all series 80's are.

Ross
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 8:34:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The trigger falls at half cocked? Run away from that thing quick!

Whoa!  There's nothing wrong there.  The series 80 does that by design.  It's strange at first when you're not used to the firgin pin safety deal, but ALL series 80's are that way.  The half-cock is not anywhere near as far back as on the earlier model.  Once in this positon, pulling the trigger will lower the hammer all the way down.  Supposedly there isn't enough inertia to overcome the firing pin spring.  I would not recommend it from the standpoint that pulling the trigger on a loaded gun is not wise unless you want to shoot it.  I just couldn't bring myself to do it on mine when loaded.  Like I said, it's mighty strange, but that's the way all series 80's are.

Ross

My brand new Springfield Armory Mil-Spec 1911-A1 does the exact same thing.

Link Posted: 2/13/2002 1:43:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Cock the hammer to FULL COCK.

Set thumb safety.

Holding pistol normally, with grip safety pressed, pull trigger. Hammer must not fall because the thumb safety is on.

Release thumb safety.

Hold pistol WITHOUT touching grip safety, pull trigger. Hammer must not fall because grip safety is not engaged.

Hold pistol normally. Thumb safety off and grip safety engaged, pull trigger - hammer should fall. DO NOT RELEASE TRIGGER KEEP HOLDING IN.

Now operate slide with trigger still pulled. After slide moves forward hammer must remain full cocked. This is a disconnector test. You are still holding the trigger.

Now release the trigger. You must feel/hear the disconnector pop back into position.

I never heard of any half cock test with a 45, if there is such a thing please provide a reference.

Hope this helps...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top