Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2002 5:37:36 AM EDT
Hello all, I'm just now joining your ranks as a fellow AR15 owner. I picked up a Colt Match Target HBAR on Friday evening. Sat, A friend and I went out and put 500 rounds through it. MAN THIS THING IS SWEET!!!! I'm in love.

My question to all of you is in regards to mags. What brands are recommended, what brands should I stay away from. I live in Maryland and believe that 20 rounders are the maximum allowed. Where is a good(read cheap) place to get mags from that will ship to MD. I checked out cheapasdirt.com, but they don't ship anything more than 10rnd to MD. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 5:48:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the club...the addiction will continue to grow!

Check the equipment exchange here for mags.  I am sure you can find what you are looking for.  You can also place a WTB (want to buy) add and ask what you are looking for.

STAY AWAY FROM USA BRAND MAGS!

USGI are your best bet.  Colt, Adventurline, Sanchez, Cooper and so on.

I don't know the law about MD but I am sure someone here can give you an answer on that.

Good luck and stay safe

medcop

edited to fix spelling
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 6:01:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My question to all of you is in regards to mags. What brands are recommended, what brands should I stay away from. I live in Maryland and believe that 20 rounders are the maximum allowed. Where is a good(read cheap) place to get mags from that will ship to MD. I checked out cheapasdirt.com, but they don't ship anything more than 10rnd to MD. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

OK first off welcome.  Now when you get a chance you need to come on over for a visit to communities.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShooterSite

As for magazines the USGI 20's (any brand) are the preferred magazine.  Colt commercial 20's run a close second.  The only difference between the two is the Colt Commercial magazines use a plastic follower instead of an alloy one.

AVOID (Like the Plauge) any USA brand magazine or other generic magazine (Pro-Mag etc).  There is a great magazine FAQ in the Magazine forum section I recommend reading it proir to buying any.  You can own 30 round magazines in Maryland, you just cannot buy, sell, trade, or give them away in state.  If you want to mail order, or buy them in state, you are limited to purchasing 20 round magazines.

Ammoman.com and Cruffler.com usually have USGI 20s at decent prices.  I recommend getting on their e-mail lists so you get first notification, and an opportunity to buy them before the 'general public'. Georgia Precision (one of the banner advertisers) also has some USGI 20's for very good prices (they post frequently in the Magazine section). Gunshows lately have been pretty good about USGI 20's and I've seen them go for $20 (I would not pay more than $25 at the most - and they better be in pretty good condition).
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 6:24:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for all the info.

Forest, I've been checking out the MD AR15 site for about a week now. Lots of good info. Thanks for all the state specific tips on legalities
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 7:44:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 7:57:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 9:05:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Troy's Magazine FAQ  Will answer most or all of your magazine questions.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 3:22:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll second Kevin's comments.  I've bought and sold a lot of mags here and have always been satisfied.

Welcome aboard!
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 6:47:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Welcome to the club!
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Howdy

Another thing you will need is a web belt & about 10 mag pouches. When you start collecting (hoarding) mags, you will find that it doesn't take long to start filling all of those pouches!!

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 8:29:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Welcome to Our Addiction!!.. regarding mags, follow above advice.. USGI are the best IMHO, thereafter Colt.  Regarding quantity, "nothing exceeds like excess"!!.. there is no such thing as too many!  When my wife ask me why so many mags, I tell her "Because".  Once again, Welcome!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top