Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2002 11:00:37 PM EDT
 Need a little help from you long range shooters. I picked up a Remington 700 Stainless rifle in .308 yesterday.
 The barrel is described as being a  700 Stainless Special 5R Milspec Heavy Barrel. I don't see any mention in the Remington catalogs or webb site concerning this option. Custom Shop? The stock looks just like the kind on a Sendero-perhaps an HS Precision stock??
 Has anyone shot one of these and how does it compare to a Remington PSS Tactical.Were these used by the military? I was told that these are real shooters. What kind of group potential is there? Any background would be helpful. Thanks!!
raptor

Link Posted: 2/11/2002 11:33:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not an expert on this subject by no means, and I don't have a Rem 700.  But I have read that the Rem. 5R barrel is one of the their best. It is being currently being used by Reed Knight for their SR25. I think the 5R barrel is a special 5 grooves and lands, where the groove is opposite a land.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 11:38:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Um, I have been reading a little over at www.snipercountry.com and according to reports there, the Rem 700 with 5R barrels are EXTREMELY desirable and relatively speaking, VERY rare. You are quite luck to have one. I cant remember the exact percentage, but apparently it can increase accuracy up to 30%? They have 5 lands, which if I remember correctly, creates a better seal between the bullet and barrel. Should you ever decide to sell it, I am sure you could get top dollar for it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 2:19:05 AM EDT
[#3]
The 5R is the same barrel found on the U.S. Army's M24 Sniper Weapon System.  As stated above it has 5 lands and grooves versus 6.  It also has a rate of twist of 1 in 11.25" versus the typical 1 in 12".  Some cosmetic differences are the fact that it is 24" as opposed to 26" and it has an 11 degree crown versus a concave one.

Bradd
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 3:58:29 AM EDT
[#4]
5R is a Boots Obermeyer designed 5 groove barrel with a match chamber.  Very nice.  Very desirable.  May be more common over time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top