Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2002 5:44:15 PM EDT
I would think that the NO-GO gauge is the most important but what about the GO gauge?  Should I ever worry about there being too little headspace?  Can I safely tell if the bolt isn't fully closed upon chambering a live round?
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have a properly built rifle from a mainstream factory you'll never need a headspace gage.  Headspace grows at such a low rate that rifling goes first.

If you buy a rifle from one of the outfits that just assembles like ASA or Rock
River you'll need a min gage most.  Min headspace is more dangerous than over.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 10:54:41 PM EDT
[#2]
You need a 'NO GO' gauge to check for excessive headspace. You need a 'GO' gauge to check for proper headspace when you are using a chamber reamer to ream a chamber in a barrel. You do not blow up guns with minimum headspace. You do increase bolt thrust with excessive headspace. Bolt thrust will cause other problems such as separated case heads, excessive case web expansion, blown primers, etc. I am a professional gunsmith, a retired Marine armorer and a graduate of Yavapai Gunsmithing School. Be careful when you get advice from amateurs such as 'T2'. JarheadGunner.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 5:05:16 AM EDT
[#3]
jarheadgunner,

where in Az. are you ? where do you shoot ? where do you gunsmith ? i live near Tucson & sometymes shoot at the Desert Trails Range.....
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:01:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Cactus Jack - I reside and practice gunsmithing in Prescott. I shoot in the National Forest northeast of Chino Valley. I once lived in Tucson and frequently shot at the 3 Points range. Let me know at '[email protected]' if I can help you or answer any questions you may have. Thanks. jarheadgunner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top