Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2002 2:14:58 PM EDT
I know most guys at this site want a woman who likes guns.
Or at least put up with the expense of the hobby.
Well my wife went to two of my spots today.
The ammo supply store, Cheaper than Dirt, and the local gun range.

These are sacred spots for me and I fell violated now.

I thought she may freak out and make fun of the people or talk shit after leaving the range, but she really had a good time.

She started out at the pistol range and got head shots and heart shots. Not bad I tought for your first time out. The gun used was a small .380

So then I pulled out the Tec 9 with 50 round clips. The piece of shit jammed alot. She saw the look on my face with it and new I was pissed.  Just rebuilt it with a field repair kit, better work next time.

Then we shot the AR. She got a few bullseyes and was in the green for the most part. She liked it better than shooting the pistols.
She took to it really well.

I should be happy about this right ?
The fact that she wanted to share my hobby and all is a good thing, right ?
I feel uneasy a bit since she can shoot my ass if I piss her off now.

I need some reinforcement from my fellow peers.
Thats you guys.
Please let me have it.
Thanks
Legs
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 2:19:08 PM EDT
[#1]
This is indeed a good thing. Now she will probably be more willing to let you buy more goodies because she can participate. Just make sure you don't let her become a better shot than you.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 3:24:23 PM EDT
[#2]
You're doing good, man!

Now just get her to shoot someones .50, so you can go get yourself one!
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Best thing that happened to my marriage was when my wife took up guns. It will be 26 years in May and it's never been better.
I can now shoot all I want and not feel guilty. Most of the time she goes with me. I love the look on the guys faces when they see her shoot Trap with her 12GA.
I can't count the number of men at our club who said they wished their wife enjoyed shooting.
Gerry
A great by product are the great birthday gifts I get now.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 4:21:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Great for her! And good for you - keep working on her until she's hooked. Helps to biuld the relationship and means more toys for everybody.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe at the Wanenmacher gun show in Tulsa, April 3rd, I could get  US A pre ban AR 11.5 in" shorty as an Anniversary present ?
She would love it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 6:31:43 PM EDT
[#6]
legs,

be damn glad ya got a woman who isn't a friggen sissy, my "X" hated guns, my present & for 22 years..., wife lykes to shoot & is a pretty fair shot..., & when she sees me drooling over another gun she says, "ya want it" ? & i usually walk away wyth it........

count yer blessings !! there are probaly 100 guys on this board who wud give a case of .223 for a shooting wife rather than what they got......
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#7]
My wife, of 23 years, shoots every gun I own. Her enjoying shooting, hiking and camping, sure makes it easy come buying time, whether it's more guns or supplies. It's also real convenient having my "shootin' buddy" right there, ready to go, all the time. Now all I have to do is convince her that reloading is just as much fun as shooting. So far, she ain't buyin' it! Did I mention she's smart too?

coyote3
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:00:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I converted my wife from a gun-disliking, Democratic Clinton supporting, media believing chick into a Bush supporting, pro-gun Republican.  You see the problem was she was not educated on the ways of the real world only what she saw on TV. Her mother was the bad influence, but now even she has been converted by her new husband who is a pro-gun supporter that owns about 30 guns.  Life is well.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:08:02 AM EDT
[#9]
My wife shoots with me often, and is a pretty darn good shot.  It has definately made our marriage better....being able to share hobbies is good.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Well I see the light. Its a good thing.

She said she wanted to go on my next camping trip as well.
Last year I spent two weeks all over Southern Utah. 4 to 5 hours hikes in the morning and again in the afternoon. With 40 lbs of camera gear on my back (photographer nut as well) and in a ten at night, it was rough.
But it was the best time I had in a long time.

This year I'll go to Yellow Stone but not so rough. At least sleeping. We'll stay in a lodge. It will be the hiking that gets her.
I need to train her more. Maybe several hikes with all the guns into the woods a few times.[:\]

It will be a cool thing to hear her say "I want my own AR." It will be a cool thing when I see her looking at all my AR web sites too.
Or how about, lets build an AR together.

Looks like it may be a plesent way of life soon at the house of legs.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#11]
"ilikelegs"....

me too! sometimes it gets me in trouble!!
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#12]
be glad I once had a girlfriend who would make me move all my guns out from under the bed into the safe in my closet everytime she came over.

The key word in that last sentence is had.

ohh well more money for guns.

I think I have a serious addiction
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 2:16:55 PM EDT
[#13]
My wife grew up with her Dad being a fellow gun nut, so she has never had any problems with my collection. Yesterday she shot my Kimber .45, a single action .357 AND my AR. All were firsts for her, and ya know the scarry thing. I bought the Kimber the other day(for ME).I got her a Glock 19 years ago, and 5 min of shooting the 1911 and she says she like the .45 better than the Glock! This scares me very much, cause I have gotten kind of attached to the Kimber!
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 2:29:21 PM EDT
[#14]
ilikelegs, the Tulsa gun show is April 6&7. Just a heads up.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the heads up 03shooter.
I got it.
I'll be there.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#16]
where did you get a field repair kit for a tec-9 ?????????????
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 3:47:20 PM EDT
[#17]
madhater

www.sksparts.com/index.htm

I got it from this site.

Good site for AK, Cobray, sks and Tec 9 stuff.
Used them just this one time. Did good for me.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 3:49:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm not married yet, but one absolute no-argument requirement is that any woman I might marry or even date MUST be OK with any kind of gun at an absolute minimum.   If she LIKES guns and/or shoots herself, that's a BIG plus!

Maybe I'll get really lucky and find a woman who's like my mother in this respect.  She's a remarkably good shooter, possibly she's the best natural marksman in our whole extended family.   If we go on a trip to the range, we'd BETTER ask her if she wants to go or she'll get snotty about not being asked.   She usually declines, but we HAVE to make the offer!

CJ

Link Posted: 2/10/2002 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#19]
So what if she can shoot better than you.  At least you know that she can handle herself if you aren't there. Besides if she wants to get you, she knows where you sleep!!
I hunt and shoot with my husband and my son. I'm not as crazy as they are about it, but I'm not left completely out of the conversations.
She's not as likely to make you leave if you are having fun, and she's able to shoot also.
I saw a lot of couples shooting when I was involved with the gun club. The men who left the wives sitting in the bar, spent less time on the range.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 5:15:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top