Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2002 5:16:00 PM EDT
ok, i have some questions about the DR200.  first off,

what is the twist rate in the barrel?  does it use the same barrel as an AR?  

what parts interchange?

if i replace the stock w/an Ace skel. stock, does it have to be in a fixed position?  these things were imported before 1994 right?  if it has enough US parts couldnt it have a folding stock? ACE has pictured a DR200 w/folding stock and says that the stock is made for it... (im a little iffy on this import/ban crap)

LAST:

what the hell is on the end of the barrel if it isnt a flashider?
thanks

Link Posted: 2/8/2002 4:22:32 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
ok, i have some questions about the DR200.  first off,

what is the twist rate in the barrel?  does it use the same barrel as an AR?  

1 in 12, I beleive. Its really designed for 50 gr bullets.

what parts interchange?

Trigger, hammer, firing pin, MAYBE the bolt. that's about it.

A skilled machinist could adapt an AR bolt carrier to the DR200.

if i replace the stock w/an Ace skel. stock, does it have to be in a fixed position?  these things were imported before 1994 right?  if it has enough US parts couldnt it have a folding stock? ACE has pictured a DR200 w/folding stock and says that the stock is made for it... (im a little iffy on this import/ban crap)

I'm no lawyer, but....

Imported before 1994, with the correct # of US parts, and the folder is OK. Talk to the guy at Ace. He actually includes a legal sheet with the stock. He can give you specifics.

LAST:

what the hell is on the end of the barrel if it isnt a flashider?
thanks

A pipe,  scrap metal, barrel weight, muzzle protector. I suppose if you can get it off the barrel, you could put a real brake or flash hider (provided pre 94 and enuf US parts)

Link Posted: 2/8/2002 4:46:55 AM EDT
[#2]
They are 1-12 twist.  The barrel is similar in profile to the A1 barrel, but they are not interchangable.  It will accept the USGI clothespin bipod.  It is chrome lined.

Some of the lower internal parts will interchange, or can be modified to work.  You could use a highly modified AR bolt carrier.  The rear sight windage drum is the same as the M16A1.  The Daewoo bolt, firing pin, and most other important upper receiver parts are not interchangable.  In a practical sense, you'll have to make something if it broke.

They are post-ban, and fall under all the post-ban BS.  Yes, a folding stock would have to be in a fixed open postion.  You can't legally convert a post-89 import ban gun (like the DR-200) into a non-importable configuration (i.e. evil features).  You can turn it into a domestic gun with US parts to get around that law, but then it's still a post-ban because it had to have been in a pre-ban configuration before the 94 ban to be a "pre-ban".  As a US post-ban you are allowed one evil feature.  Most people choose the pistol grip.  You could go with the folding stock, but then you couldn't have any other evil feature(like a Pistol grip to shoot the rifle with).  In practical terms the Pistol Grip is the evil feature of choice.

The thing on the end of the barrel is just a thing.  It is not a muzzle brake, flash suppressor or anything useful.  It simply permanently covers the threaded end of the barrel, eliminating that evil feature.

If you're anywhere near Virginina Beach, VA you can shoot/examine my pre-ban Daewoo K2 to get an idea of what the gun is like.  They are a good gun.  I like mine quite a bit, and most people who have tried it like the rifle as well.

Ross
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 4:59:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The rear sight windage drum is the same as the M16A1.  .

Ross

Would that mean I could replace the hokey Daewoo rear sight with an A1????

Link Posted: 2/8/2002 5:28:42 AM EDT
[#4]
You have to cut that thing off the barrel, just be sure you DON'T go so far back as to cut the rifled portion. Once this is done, a muzzle brake/recoil compensator can be welded to it. I put a Smith compensator on mine (I had to get the one for post-ban Colt HBARs, and still had to ream it out to fit). The Smith comp really does the job of keeping the muzzle level, and strangely enough, doesn't generate much flash at all. The ACE stock (fixed) is really a nice piece, too. It's MUCH more comfortable than the factory "thumbhole" stock.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 6:43:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I just e-mailed a friend and fellow board member who has one and told him to check out this post - maybe he will be able to add some info.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 7:29:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I have to find my book but I was thinking @ 1:10 twist.I've looked and called everywhere,no spare parts.A JP trigger will fit.Hope nothing goes bad!
I did do a little work on the stock with a saw and file and it works much better.
With a scope mine will shoot @ 1 in with 55gr ball.
good gun,enjoy!
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 7:14:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The rear sight windage drum is the same as the M16A1.  .

Ross

Would that mean I could replace the hokey Daewoo rear sight with an A1????

Just the windage drum.  I replaced my windage drum with a "Rapidex" from Bushmaster.  It gives me a knob/click adjustment for windage.  There are windage graduation marks on the rear sight, same as on the Garand.  The knob on the other side controls elevation.  There is a pre-set range cam that will adjust for different ranges.  It is marked for range in meters.  There is a click adjustment wheel to fine tune the elevation/zero.  Frankly the rear sight is as hokey as the M1 Garand.  A knob on each side for windage and elevation, range markings, windage graduations, and fine-tuning of the elevation.  I like it better than the A2, as it doesn't stick up in the air on a threaded lollipop.  It's completely enclosed and protected by the rear sight "ears".  Also the transition from M1/M14 to Daewoo sight is a no-brainer.

Ross
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 7:20:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have to find my book but I was thinking @ 1:10 twist.I've looked and called everywhere,no spare parts.A JP trigger will fit.Hope nothing goes bad!
I did do a little work on the stock with a saw and file and it works much better.
With a scope mine will shoot @ 1 in with 55gr ball.
good gun,enjoy!

Doh! I just checked the owner's manual and it states 1 in 185mm.  Let's see that would be...1 in 7.3 or so.  Hmmm, I'll stuff a cleaning rod down it and count the revs to be sure.  Back in a bit....

Rosss
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 7:36:23 AM EDT
[#9]
the one i am getting was imported by kimber.  the book says it has a 1 turn in 12 inches.  1:12 twist rate

maybe others were different?
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 7:45:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Could be or maybe they used a different twist on the post-ban model for whatever reason.  I just ran a cleaning rod through mine and it came out 1-7.5".  Close enough to 1-185mm(1-7.3).  Looking down the bore of the K2 and two USGI A2 barrels (1-7) the rifling looks identical in pitch.  Looking down an SP-1 barrel (1-12) and you can definately see the difference.  My K-2 at least has a NATO ammo compatible barrel.  Hmmm, I'd seriously be interested in what the rifling of any other Daewoo owner's rifles are.

Where in VA are you SkaerE?  I'd be interested in comparing the two rifles side-by-side.  Are you up to trying them out?

Ross
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 9:10:31 AM EDT
[#11]
The manual that came with my DR200, imported by B-West, says the twist rate is 305mm(12").  I know that it won't shoot 69gr bullets worth a damn, but it really likes Federal 55gr JSP ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top