Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2002 10:08:42 PM EDT
The Olympic 9mm uppers have a forward assist..one that actually works and catches the bolt...now I have noticed that Colt and copies ASA RRA don't have this..can someone explain why?

thanks in advance
medcop
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 3:17:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I think I can, although I don't own an Olympic upper so if I'm wrong someone please jump in and correct me.  The Olympic uses the standard AR bolt carrier (I think), which is grooved to work with the forward assist.  The Colt 9mm bolt is different, the bolt and carrier being a one piece unit, which is not grooved for the forward assist, so none was supplied.  Now if you're asking why Colt didn't groove the 9mm carrier, I have no idea other than I don't think it's required on a simple blowback design, since the bolt dosen't actually lock up with the barrel extension.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 6:24:08 AM EDT
[#2]

The Olympic 9mm uppers have a forward assist..one that actually works and catches the bolt...now I have noticed that Colt and copies ASA RRA don't have this..can someone explain why?

thanks in advance
medcop

This is not true, or is no longer true.  My new Oly 9mm upper has a forward assist and it is completely useless.  It appears Oly used a standard A2 upper and drilled an extra hole in it for the ejector.  Other than the ejector, the upper receiver is exactly the same as my other A2 receiver.

Edit to add picture of bolt.  There is no carrier, the whole thing is the bolt.

Link Posted: 2/6/2002 7:28:01 AM EDT
[#3]
My OLY upper has a forward assist and the bolt is notched for it.  

I find this even more strange now...wonder why they changed.

medcop
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top