Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2002 6:04:58 AM EDT
EDITED 2/12/02 to say that what started off as a desparate WTB post, turned into an adventure in problem solving.  See my bottom post and let me know if anyone is interested in an indepth description, pics, etc. of the solution.  If there's no interest, I will probably not spend the time to post it.  Although it is a really interesting tech tip -- for those who have the same problem as I did, there isn't much more you can do other than get a little creative.

Anyone know where I can get one of these?

I'd prefer one that was designed specifically for a LW barrel as I've heard that the "convertible" models (for HBAR and LW barrels) doesn't fit very well on LW barrels.  It has to be Colt or USGI.

I ordered a Bushmaster LW barrel side sling mount and don't like it.  It is a very roughly produced chunk of gloss black aluminum.  So, that one is going back to BM.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 6:51:24 AM EDT
[#1]
GG&G Sling things
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 6:55:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Vinnie:

Thanks.  I've tried a GG&G Sling Thing and am not fond of it.  I'd like the USGI/Colt version that attaches to the barrel.

My problem right now is finding a version made specifically for a LW barrel.  I know they are out there, just can't find a source.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 10:10:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#4]
i think i actually have one or two of these. i seem to remember thinking they were usgi 70's era. i took them in trade a couple years ago. what is the lightweight barrel diameter?

let me dig around the safe and see if i can find them...and if i'm remembering correctly.

Link Posted: 1/29/2002 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#5]
eurotrash:

Are they ini LNIB or VG condition?  Are they complete with mount and sling loop attached?

Here are the quick measurements I got off of my rifles with a micrometer:

LW:  0.62"

HBAR:  0.73"

Lemme know what you have and if you'd be willing to part with one.

I believe that these are more recent than '70's era.  Anyone have any more info on when these things started production, either LW, HBAR/LW or HBAR only?
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:47:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Got one in front of me right now.the sling part is marked 8448379 and the clamp part is marked 8448376.it fits my A1 barrel like a glove.i have seen the Sarco cheapo one and they are a embarassment. mine had no swivel or pin attached when i got it.good luck
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 11:08:51 AM EDT
[#7]
BTT
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 6:06:44 AM EDT
[#8]
corey,

they were not in the safe, but i do have a stash of stuff off site. i suspect they are there. they were NIW. i'll have a definite answer for you this evening (thursday).

ps. sorry for the delay.  cable modem was down at home last night.

Link Posted: 1/31/2002 6:20:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Anyone know where I can get one of these?

Bushmaster sells them.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 9:06:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Forest:

Thanks for your reply.  I appreciate everyone trying to point me in the right direction.

I ordered and received one of the Bushmaster mounts.  They have two: one is a "convertible" steel mount; the other is a LW only aluminum mount.  The aluminum mount that I received was very rough in appearance with sharp corners, clear machining marks, and gloss black.  It was, IMHO, a cheaply produced knock-off that I'd be hard pressed to use on a parts rifle.  Needless to say I'm not putting that mount on my beautiful little R6530.  I suspect that BM's steel "convertible" mount (I want LW only) is probably better quality and comparable to the USGI mounts.

eurotrash:

Lemme know if you have the USGI LW only mounts.  I'm tempted to say I'd buy them both from you.  Lemme know if they are complete units or if I need to add the metal sling loop.  I'm not sure I know how to do that, so I'm hoping they come complete.  Contact me by email and we can discuss it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 1:27:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 8:04:29 PM EDT
[#12]
BTT

Kurt:

I shot you an email.  Was wondering about the "barrel/sleeve."

Nylon would protect the barrel from scuffing, but I don't see how it could stand up to the heat.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 5:05:29 PM EDT
[#13]
BTT

Anyone have ANY idea where I can get a hold of one of these?

I seem to recall someone saying that there were a bunch for sale in the EE a few months ago.

At this point I'm ready to buy two if I ever find them....
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 6:50:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all your help everyone!  While you were all helpful, the winner is....

Someone who has experience creating solutions from problems, and using metal work to come up with truly unique products.

DING DING DING DING

Kurt from Kurts Kustom Firearms!!

You win the gratitude of ME!!  And the promise that once the Krime Bill sunsets (with no replacement), you will be asked to turn down my HBAR and install an A2 FS.  I even promise not to call you every other day and ask if it's done.  

So, what Kurt suggested to me offline, in a discussion about whether a nylon filler would withstand the heat, is to use brass to fill the area between the "convertible" HBAR/LW side sling mount and the LW barrel.

Well, I asked my local True Value Hardware store a hypothetical question.  Say I have a clamp that is too big for the tube [er, pipe, I meant] it needs to hold, and the pipe can get to extremely high temperatures, what can I use as a sleeve to fill in the gap?

The suggestion was sleeves that they had in a variety of metals.  Bronze, brass and steel.  I chose bronze because it was midway (at least that's what he said) between brass and steel in pliability.  Not as soft as brass, but more easily bent than steel.

I purchased a 1" long brass sleeve (basically a big hollow cylinder) that was meant to fill the gap between a 5/8" and 3/4" piece.  Perfect, I thought.  It cost $1.89.

I took it home, hacksawed a cut lenghtwise in the sleeve, and slowly opened it up.  I saw that it would be almost a perfect match, but I'd need to cut it shorter and also trim the circumference as it was too long.  I eyeballed it and cut a portion off the length and about 60% of the cicumference.  Basically I ended up with a part that was shorter and only about 40% of a cylinder.  EDITED to add that I filed all the edges smooth.

I took a little work getting that thing down inside the HBAR sized side sling mount, but with a little pushing I got it to fit perfectly.  I slid it onto my barrel and drove the pins into the retention plate, using the LW sized "M16A1" side of the plate.

End result is a side sling mount on a LW barrel that has absolutely NO perceptible movement.  It is a perfect fit and is firmly held in place.

My description probably doesn't do it justice, but I'll try to get a picture up, and maybe even show the pieces if there is any interest in something like this.  A better description of the process with DO's and DON'T maybe, when I get more time to type and think it over.

I can't do much more tonight (my wife wouldn't appreciate being woke up so I can photograph my rifle), but will try to get a photo up tomorrow.  Of course, if no one gives a rip, I'll save the effort.  Lemme know if anyone else wants a side sling mount on a LW barrel.

In the meantime, here's a pic just to see if my new web pic host works.  

Link Posted: 2/12/2002 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I am interested..
Always want to learn something new and keep up with the Do it yourselfers.  lol
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 3:04:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top