Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2002 6:52:06 AM EDT
I am currently looking for a good scope to mount on my flat-top Ar15. I personally like the Simmons' Aetec series of scopes and see that they can be had from Midsouth Shooter's supply for under $200. I was thinking of buying the scope rings from Les Baer because they look like very heavy duty pieces of equipment. Can anyone else make any comparable suggestions? I would prefer a scope with around 3-12 or 4-16 magnification in the $300 price range.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:56:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I was looking at the Aetec for the exact same thing.  Sportsmans Guide has a really good price right now.

I've got a Simmons Whitetail Classic on a long range .308 and I've been pretty happy with it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:56:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe Tasco Sniper?  You can buy it at http://www.swfa.com
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:02:24 AM EDT
[#3]
With low recoil of the AR super heavy duty rings are not needed. In glass you really get what you pay for......tell us what you will be doing with it.....100yd shooting or 500 yr ....just plinking???
4-16 is a great range of magnafication to work with.
Use steel rings...not aluminum!!
Leupold is closing out the VariXII line...some deals to be had there.
HTH
Axeldawg
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:13:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Gunner,

I have 6 of the AETEC's on different rifles, and love 'em.  I use them on everything form .223 to 300 mag.  No problems, and at $130 each locally, I think they are a good value for the money.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:43:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Gunner,

I have 6 of the AETEC's on different rifles, and love 'em.  I use them on everything form .223 to 300 mag.  No problems, and at $130 each locally, I think they are a good value for the money.

I agree. I currently have one on my Savage slug gun and haven't had a problem with it. In fact due to sling problems the last time I sighted in the shotgun it fell off my shoulder and landed oa rocks scope down not once but TWICE without any problems at all. I was just wondering if there was something better in the same price range.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Gunner,

I agree. I currently have one on my Savage slug gun and haven't had a problem with it. In fact due to sling problems the last time I sighted in the shotgun it fell off my shoulder and landed oa rocks scope down not once but TWICE without any problems at all. I was just wondering if there was something better in the same price range.

I have heard good things about the Aetecs but wouldn't touch any other Simmons product with a 10-foot pre-ban upper.

Check out the Swift line.  They make some good scopes for the money.  Both of the ones I have are Korean-made and have great glass.  I think I paid $140 for a 3x9 with a reticle-locking system.  www.swift-optics.com

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top