Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2002 9:32:38 PM EDT
I have a DPMS 20" with heavy barrel and for the longest I have had a problem of a shell getiing stuck in the chamber after fire. It happened off and on, every 10 rounds or so, any way I though it was the chamber since it was .223 not 5.56, so I polished out the chamber still had the problem. I checked my rounds that I reloaded for size they were fine so I remembered people here talking about a weak extractor spring but I didn't think much of it cause it wasn't happening on every round. When I reached my wits end I decided to go with altering the spring. Where I work I firgured I could replace the spring with a better one but no luck then while sitting there looking at my top drawer of my tool box I noticed my ink pen and thought the spring in it was about the same size so I took it out and cut it to length but I did not replace it with that one but coiled it around the old one leaving the rubber buffer there. Man What a difference! Went to the range today and not the first jam! not even one checked the extracted brass everything looks great all it needed was alittle re-engeering. All my headaches was fixed with a ball point pen. I plan on buying a new spring a buffer but for now she works like a champ.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 1:04:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you ever try an insert?
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 1:10:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you full leanght sizing your cases??  Neck sizing may cause this problem on self loading rifles.  1 in 10 rounds is may to often for this problem. Also .223/5.56 basically is the same ammo and would not cause this problem.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 4:22:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I haven't had call to use any of it, but I have a foot of high temperature model airplane fuel line coiled in my toolbox.  In the future, I can slice rings from it and make D-fenders by the dozen, if necessary.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top