Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2002 2:48:42 PM EDT
My friend just picked up a sar 3 ak in 223.My question is dose it use the same mags as the ak 74 (5.45x39)?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:04:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:31:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I just bought SAR3 mags from Inter-Ordnance- 704-225-8843, Also there is a guy on Gunbroker with Bulgarian .223 mags that will fit the SAR3. These seem to be a little hard to find you just have to search, I found Inter- Ordnance in Shotgun News.  Gene
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#3]
The SAR2/ak74 bakelite mags will misfeed in the SAR3 if you load them with more than ~15 rds.  Supposedly you can modify the SAR-2/ak74 bakelite mags to work properly in the SAR-3(it involves getting the proper followers and dremmeling out the feed lips - someone posted this AK47-net forums a while ago.)  I could never get them to work in my SAR3 (I have both).  I ended up buying Wieger mags from Interordnance and they work great.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 7:00:20 AM EDT
[#4]
The mags you want are called Wieger Mags. They are made specifically for the SAR3 type weapon. Inter Ordanance and SOG have them. They are usually around $15. A pop. The Bulgies are hit and miss reliablitly/fit wise in a SAR3. You can make the 74 mags work in the SAR3 but you must modify the mag body and get a special follower made by Rob. arms. I have a "3" and did not want to spend the time and energy modifying mags so I just bought the wiegers.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 8:11:20 AM EDT
[#5]
SAR-3's won't reliably function with AK74 mags nor will they reliably fit in the well.  Steve is right on the mark with the Weigers - you'll want these steel mags over any other, especially the bakelites.  I purchased 4 from Interordnance (they came in a kit - mags, pouch, cleaning kit, and sling and were on special for $49).  All functioned and fit perfectly.  They are listed now for $69 -here's the link:

www.interordnance.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=INTERORDNANCE.com&Product_Code=sar3magset
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 4:34:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys for the info.I believe he is going to go with the waffle mags from sog for now and get some of the interord mags eventualy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top