Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2002 7:43:05 AM EDT
I'm going to order a Taurus PT-22 for a fun plinker.  I can go with either Blue or Nickel finish at the same cost.  I can also get the two-tone.

The aesthetics don't matter much to me, since this is basically a plinker and training gun for newbies that I invite out to shoot with me.

I've never owned a nickel-plated firearm.  I take good care of all my guns and I don't see blue being a problem.

How well do nickel-plated guns wear compared to blue?

Which would you get, nickel or blue?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:12:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I-detest-shinny-guns.  But that's me not you.

As a semi-practical answer with a blued finish you can always re-blue and re-blue.... (inexpensively)

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:04:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I-detest-shiny-guns.  But that's me not you.
As a semi-practical answer with a blued finish you can always re-blue and re-blue.... (inexpensively)

I'm not thrilled by shiny, either.

I guess the question is: Can you avoid or delay getting a refinish job by going with nickel?

I can't remember seeing a firearm with a worn nickel finish.  Does that just mean there aren't as many in circulation, or that nickel doesn't wear out?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:46:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Nickel will wear longer than blue. It will however flake off like the chrome on an old bumper when it does go south. I would go with the blue on this gun, as it is a hide-out piece & you may have to pull it one day without actually using it. If it is shiney as hell it may be noticed. With the blue it may not be as conspicuous as you slip it back into concealment. Besides, it's a darn $150 gun anyway, who would pay $75 - 100 to reblue it?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:04:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Ya ever seen US Marshalls?

"Why don't you get rid of that sissy nickel-plated..."
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:59:43 PM EDT
[#5]
BTT
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess "BLUE VS. NICKEL" just isn't as exciting as "AR VS. AK VS. M14" or "5.56x45 VS. 7.62x39 VS. 7.62x51" or "Ginger VS. Maryanne"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top