Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2002 11:22:07 AM EDT
Anyone have good feedback on a .22LR conversion unit for 1911 pistols?  I am interested in one that has a rear adjustable sight.  It will be used as a "training" unit for my wife, kids, and some friends before stepping them up to the .45acp rounds (and cheaper).  I want to keep the gun as a 1911 (that's why I'm not buying a Ruger MkII).  Also, it would be a cheap and fun plinker for me.

I am MOST interested in the opinions/experiences people have had with the Bob Day conversion unit, and also Wilson Combat's unit.  I have personally had a BAD experience with Ciener's conversion unit on a Beretta 92F, but am open to hear other's experiences.

Thanks in advance...
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the Ciener Platinium 1911 kit and LOVE IT.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Got the Ciener .22lr platinum kit for my Colt Government 1911. Adjustable rear millet sight. Works flawlessly with cheap [$8.00/550rds.Federal from Walmart.] ammo. One thing I dislike is no bolt hold open option. I bought it from Brownells $220.00 my price. Standard version is $50.00 less. I here Jonathon Ciener can be a real prick to deal with and that is why I went with Brownells, plus there is no discount when dealing with him directly. Many in the industry have told me that Kimber and Wilson Combat use Ciener blank slides and barrels and do their own finishing. In the end it is more money to buy a Wilson Combat or Kimber and it’s the same product for more money [different sights and slide cuts]. I guess if you want that Kimber name on the slide it may be worth it.
I believe Marvel makes theirs’ with a hardened-steel breech insert and with a bolt hold open devise. It is top of the line in accuracy as they use Shilen barrels, but too pricey at $355.00

That's 50 YARDS not feet.

If I would to buy another 22lr. kit I would by another Ciener or recommend it to a friend.
Best value for the money.

Link Posted: 1/6/2002 2:08:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Got one of Fred Kart's units and it runs like a charm.

The Ceiner AR-15/M-16 kits work great for me. Never tried his 1911 kit.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 4:50:42 PM EDT
[#4]

A friend of mine has the Marvel and loves it. He *used* to have the Ciener.

Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:17:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for the Ciener. VERY accurate.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Very good experience with the Wilson, on top of a Kimber.

Have also used the ciener.  It was just as good.
Would reccomend either.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 12:15:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm with Waldo on this one. I have a Ciener plat. and it's accuracy is less than pleasing. Better than the Colt Ace I had though. I say spend the extra $ for a Marvel as I will do shortly. Kimber and Wilson get their kits from Ciener and finish them to their specs.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:59:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I had many of the Colts down thru the years, as did my buddies. Test before you buy, because the floating chamber has to be WELL made, or it's a real PIA. I want to chop one to Detonics length, because its steel slide makes for maximal  realism on recoil. The Ciener unit groups well, but what experience I have with it suggests that the mag springs need to be beefed up. Also, the rear sight of the fixed sight unit is made of aluminum, so it is VERY easily deformed when  you try to move it with a punch and tackhammer. It will of course move right out of the slide, in the direction you DON'T want to adjust it. Get the adjustable sights, but beware those sharp corners! I always "dehorned" mine. A decent Colt unit will group 5" or better at 50 yds. That's inside the 10ring,  and 300, no x's at all still beats 299 and all x's. Slowfire is only 1/3rd of the NRA course, and no one has ever fired a perfect score  in competition at   50 yds, anyway. The man who KNOWS what combat pistol shooting is, (Jim Cirillo) says that 10" groups at 25 yds are acceptable, because that is as good as anyone ever does when they are being shot-at.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:01:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Good feedback...thanks for the "heads up" on the Marvel product, as I had forgotten about them.  WOW, they are quite impressive.  Accuracy is extremely important to me, and that is why I was disappointed with the Ciener unit I had bought for my Beretta 92F (and promptly returned it for a full refund).

Here's a great article from Marvel's web site.  It actually is talking about the Ciener unit for Glocks, and the Marvel unit for 1911...not comparing them, as the article states they both fill a different shooting "niche" (really, he wanted to be polite and say that the Ciener doesn't come close to the accuracy of the Marvel).

Here it is: www.marvelprod.com/pdf/gungames.pdf

OH YEAH, to answer a question/comment...the Marvel slide DOES NOT lock open after the last round as indicated.  However, it does have the capability of being manually locked open (which is crucial as it is required for properly accurizing the unit on top of your frame...why it is so accurate).
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:06:01 AM EDT
[#10]
The Marvel conversion is not designed to lock open on the last round because the steel slide stop will eventually damage the aluminum slide.  Or at least that's how the original Marvels were; I suppose that might have changed.

The Kart conversion is out of production.  Those who have them rarely sell them.

The Day conversion isn't quite as good as the Marvel, IMHO, and now that Bob Day is deceased no more will be made.  It is wonderfully accurate, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top