Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2002 6:24:07 PM EDT
I am thinking about getting one for AIM.  Anyone bought one from them? If so how do you like it? Condition it came in?  Thanks guys...
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm getting ready to build a G1, the guys over at the FAL forum are a great source of information....  

fnfal.com/falfiles/
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a century R1A1, I dont think there is any difference between the L1a1 and the R1a1... I have had alot of trouble with my century. It jams ALOT on most ammo, it is a VERY UGLY receiver, the machineing is poor, it is out of spec. I am mailing my Century Arms FN FAL R1A1 .308 Sporter back to the factory tomorrow morning. ill keep you posted on the customer service.
Stick with Imbel or DSA
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#3]
follow up on my prev. post..

The one thing I have gleened off the FAL site... DONT BUY A CENTURY!

DSA is one name that shows up all the time as good quality.

THere is a company that will re-build your Century and put it in spec... I just saw it today, It might be DSA or Gunthings.. darn I can't remember.. sorry

DS Arms:
www.dsarms.com/

Gunthings:
www.gunthings.com/
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 7:24:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Century anything is really hit-or-miss. I looked (briefly) at a Century M1 Garand, and it looked like someone had poured about 1/2 a teaspoon of steel shavings into the "newly-made" receiver. After seeing that, I wouldn't touch anything that bears the Century name.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Judging from what I have read, I would not buy the Century L1A1, because it is made on a Century receiver.

However, my Century assembled IMBEL based STG-58 with steyr parts, is absolutely perfect.  I love it.  I have a Century assembled SAR-1 as well, and it runs like a champ.  I would buy guns assembled by century again, but I do understand it is hit and miss.... and I would only buy guns that have a good reputation from them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I had one of these L1A1 Century Fal's a few years back and it did not function worth a damn. Put a BAD taste in my mouth for FAL's until I realized that Century's build quality was hit or miss. You could be lucky and get an Imbel receiver rifle but all of the new ones are built on Century's new receiver.....I don't recall any top builders jumping on this receiver.

I've been on the Fal Files website researching a new FAL and bought (actually ordered it) today. falparts.com (Dan's sporting goods) has Imbel FAL's for $675 and his are pretty select grade, are built on one of the best receivers made (along with DSA), and the parts used are from seldom fired contract rifles in good to excellent condition with the proper US content to make them legal. It is a good platform to built on for the future. The DSA STG58-a is another great rifle that is around $850 pricerange that is superb.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I had one a few years ago built on a non-Century inch pattern receiver (I think).  It functioned OK, had a lousy trigger, an ugly stock, peeling paint, worn parts, more recoil than a M-1 Garand, and so-so accuracy.  I sold it after one summer of shooting it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 12:59:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I owned a Century L1A1 & had very few, if any, complaints about the individual rifle.
What I DID fuss about was the constant gas adjustment when I changed ammo brands!!!!  !@#$%^&* aggravating, was what it was.
Then I switched over to a G3 for about the same amount of money. The G3 is recoil operated versus the L1A1's gas operation. No more adjusting for 10rds or whatever, just load the damn thing & SHOOT IT! >gg<
Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I own a DSA STG-58 kit rifle and one of century's newer L1A1's (made in 2001) that I bought from AIM.  I love both of them - the DSA is definitely of higher quality but it was twice as expensive.  I haven't had any problems with my Century, though.  The bore was pristine, the furniture ugly but functional, the trigger is an embarassment, but the barrel was timed properly and the century shoots as well as the DSA.  From what I gathered from what I read on forums, most people don't seem to have problems with the later model century's made on their proprietary receiver, which is why I looked for one with a 2001 serial number.  Bonus, Century is no longer using the 2-piece gas pistons they had been in the past.  Great gun for ~$400.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 12:17:51 PM EDT
[#10]
A year or so ago, I made the mistake of purchasing a Century w/Hesse receiver. Has a tendency to jam and some mags (old and new) come unlatched when a round is fired.  Live and learn.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 4:43:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I hope that anyone that comes upon this post topic takes heed to Shrikes post.
I also bought a Century Arms product an R1A1 the lower is the biggest piece of ****! I've ever seen it came somewhat dirty when I sprayed brake clean on it the paint dripped off to reveal some rust pits an the bare metal.
buyer beware on these!!!!!you get what you pay for!!!!!and I hav'nt even shot the F****N!! thing.pay the x-tra money an buy a DSA etc.
             good luck
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 7:39:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got one built on an Imbel metric reciever with Australian inch parts.

Its reliable and accurate.  Furniture is ugly US plastic.  The Century refinish job is good but it doesn't match the gray of the Imbel.

I would say buy one IF AND ONLY IF you can see it, inspect it, take it home and shoot it, and immediately return it to the retailer (not Century) if its a dog.  Most of them range from okay to real good but a significant number are turds, so don't order one, buy it over the counter in person and verify the return policy.

You may not really save much though.  If you get a good one you'll start thinking,"hmmm....  it shoots good, so how 'bout a nice Ironwood stockset, then its hmmm... the wood looks nice so lets upgrade the finish, then it looks good so why not a better trigger..." Pretty soon you've spent as much as a DSA or AzEX or ARS and you don't have the snob appeal of the better makers.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got one built on an Imbel metric reciever with Australian inch parts.

Its reliable and accurate. Furniture is ugly US plastic. The Century refinish job is good but it doesn't match the gray of the Imbel.

I would say buy one IF AND ONLY IF you can see it, inspect it, take it home and shoot it, and immediately return it to the retailer (not Century) if its a dog. Most of them range from okay to real good but a significant number are turds, so don't order one, buy it over the counter in person and verify the return policy.

You may not really save much though. If you get a good one you'll start thinking,"hmmm.... it shoots good, so how 'bout a nice Ironwood stockset, then its hmmm... the wood looks nice so lets upgrade the finish, then it looks good so why not a better trigger..." Pretty soon you've spent as much as a DSA or AzEX or ARS and you don't have the snob appeal of the better makers.

Coyote,I could'nt agree more!.I suppose I should reassemble this "Rat Heap" an fire it to see if it's even worth refinishing the lower......
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 3:53:56 AM EDT
[#14]
All I can say is I have one on the Imbel reciever and love it. I can't speak for the other style Century recievers. Good Luck
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 5:33:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I believe the ones AIM are selling are built on IMBEL receivers.
I am considering one myself. I can always sell it if it sucks.
AIRBORNE!
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 5:36:02 AM EDT
[#16]
You can also buy a good quality parts kit and receiver and send it to a FAL smith to build and refinish it for you.This route could save you some headaches.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 8:01:42 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a Century L1A1 built on the Imbel receiver. Got it in a trade, so my investment is only a couple of hundred. Came with the butthole stock which immediately suicided itself into the trash bin. My original idea was to rebuild with American parts to get the proper configuration. But the gas piston refuses to exit the tube and the bore is pretty worn, so I may be looking at rebarreling. Can someone tell me how the barrel ( probably Aussie ) is mated up to the metric receiver ? Were the threads originally different ? If so, which was modified to get them mated ?

Would appreciate any info. It almost seems as if each Century is a one-off job.

Finish ? Yours has finish ? :-)

TIA - Don

Link Posted: 1/25/2002 9:45:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I do not own a FAL so everything I am about to say is hit or miss.

When I was lurking on the FAL boards, most of the feedback was that

1) Century is hit or miss with quality
2) DSA or Entreprise are two good FALs

The DSA's will run $1000 + and the Entreprise about $800 +.  

I do own a SAR-2 (Century) and it is a decent gun.  But then again it is an AK and those will function just no matter who slaps them together and mine was not assembled well.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought a century L1A1 used for $350 with 4 mags. it was made in canada on a metric reciever. stuffed a mag full of radway green and proceded to lay waste to whatever i aimed at. if you want to build one, i bought a Ausi. L1A1 kit from century with an excellent bbl. (needs re-finishing) for $135.
It's hit or miss with century. like anything else that's a rebuild. sometimes you get the bull other times its the shit.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I am thinking about getting one for AIM.  Anyone bought one from them? If so how do you like it? Condition it came in?  Thanks guys...

Avoid them. Instead buy a G3 clone with a Federal receiver. I had a L1A1 & every time I switched ammo I had to readjust the GD gas regulator. The G3 is **recoil** operated, just load & shoot. Not much of a decision on my part, I sold the L1A1. My .o2
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 4:26:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I've read that the Century G3's (even the fed ord reciever ones) and the Cetme's all over the place are more hit or miss than the Frankenfals they sell. I imaging the delayed blowback system requires better parts and an even better chamber to function properly. Check the CETME review at cruffler.com.

Although I do wish I can fish out a nice Century CETME someday.....
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#22]
well after I handed this project over to someone who knows about fn-fal's I guess my ranting post disrespecting these Century kits I get the chit sandwich....FREEWILLY a freind and a good shooting buddie took the weapon and found the problem(gas plug)shot it(gas system closed)and say's it's a shooter with a good report card.just need to breakin the new parts.......I can't wait to shoot tommorow I guess I will have vision problems(can't see workin!)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top